Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ANIME] Neon Genesis Evangelion
[Image: Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Logo.jpg]
Discuss anything you like about Neon Genesis Evangelion, from the original anime, death and rebirth, end of evangelion, the rebuild movies, and manga here!

My personal thoughts:

Its my favorite anime, I just like nearly everything about it.
It's my understanding that the rebuild movies have ruined a lot of the things that really composed NGE. As an example, it sounds like Asuka doesn't get the character development she deserves and needs in the rebuilds.

I've only gone through the original TV series and the accompanying movies so I can't say back anything up personally but this video, this video, and this video all seem to highlight the important comparisons between the two iterations.
(Nov 1, 2014, 09:07 PM)Joushou Wrote: It's my understanding that the rebuild movies have ruined a lot of the things that really composed NGE. As an example, it sounds like Asuka doesn't get the character development she deserves and needs in the rebuilds.

I've only gone through the original TV series and the accompanying movies so I can't say back anything up personally but this video, this video, and this video all seem to highlight the important comparisons between the two iterations.

Ive seen the rebuilds and this is 100% true, Asuka's character gets completely ruined.

As for the rebuild movies as a whole, I will say that they are a lite version of NGE, in a way. They give you a basic idea of what the world and story are, but loses a lot of the character development of the original for more action scenes. The first two movies more or less follow the first 19 episodes of the anime, however the 3rd and upcoming 4th movie have barely anything to do with the original anime.
With the main theory being the repeat theory, it is likely that the movies are an alternate "run through" of the events which transpire in the original anime. The fate of the repeat depends on Shinji's decisions throughout. The rebuild takes a different path (Shinji chooses to "advance" through Rei). This would probably explain the idea behind rebuild "ruining" the things that composed the nge anime such as the attention given to Asuka, as well as the increased focus and character development of Rei, as she is much more important.
Another reason for the lack of personality Asuka has is because she is an entirely different being than that of the anime for currently unexplainable reasons (although theories suggest it is to do with the soulbinding of EVA-02). She only bears physical and superficial similarities with that of Asuka Sohryuu. She is Asuka Shinikami, who seems to be a lot more sane than the histrionic personality disorder sufferer that is Soryhuu. I'm not sure what those cover but I am pretty much obsessed with Langley Soryhuu so I kinda know quite a bit about the situation with the "ruining" of Asuka's character , so that's how I'd explain it

also for more of an in-depth view into Soryhuu's personality and a little bit of how it differs from Shinikami, this is a very good 12,000 word+ essay on it, complete with sources from the anime and other theories.