Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Aqwell's adventure
So I went to Yukicon this weekend. It's mainly a cosplay and anime event here in Finland but it also hosted the Pokemon Island Challenge. 12 trial captains, each had their own type and own rules and limits. You could challenge it either on easy or hard mode and in order to get to the Champions tournament you needed 5 hard mode Z-crystals.

The rules were: Alolan Dex only, no Island scan pokemon, no Tapus, UBs or Legendaries. No mega stones and you can only use the Z-crystals of the types you have won the captain of. No use of Swagger or evasion moves. Only one pokemon can be put to sleep at a time. Only one pokemon of the same species, only one Baton Pass mon and no dublicate items in a team. In the Champions tournament UBs (except Celesteela) and Tapus were allowed, other rules were the same.

The trials were:

Rock: Landslide, 6v6 single battle
The challenger has a certain number of moves (15 in hard mode) to defeat the captains team before he/she gets trapped under a landslide and loses.

Steel: Danger of Explosion, 4v4 Double battle
No Fire pokemon allowed (fire moves are).

Electric: Do Not Mess My Room! 4v4 Double
The opponent can't use moves that affect speed, cause weather, activate a terrain or entry hazards. Also weather abilities were banned.

Dragon: Fair Game, 4v4 Single battle
No status moves or set up.

Bug: Ribombee's Lottery, 4v4 Single battle
A card tells what moves are banned: Fire, Flying or Rock

Ghost: Pick Your Poison, 3v3 Single battle
You pick what pokemon the captain uses and the captain picks what you use. Which one starts is decided by a dice. The first pokemon picked starts and swiching out is not allowed.

Psychic: Prediction, Double battle
The challenger uses a dice and the number it gives is the number of pokemon used in the battle. If the challenger can predict the number he/she can decide how many pokemon are used.

Poison: Take You Clothespins With You, 4v4 Single battle
The challenger has to switch pokemon every third turn.

Normal: Persian's Dice, 3v3 Single battle
The dice decides which pokemon in your team you will use in the battle.

Dark: Soul For a Berry: 3v3 Single battle
Only berries can be used.

Fighting: Dojo, 1v1 best of three
The same pokemon can only be used once and you can only use a Z-move in one of the tree matches

Water: Slowking's manipulation 3v3 Single battle
Both the captain and the challenger pick a card that tells how many pokemon you can pick for your opponents team. Every fourth turn you pick a card and it decides which player can choose what move the other one is going to use.

After you had 3 Z-crystals you were allowed to use those that didn't have a captain.

I challenged all of the captains. I lost once to the Normal and Poison captains but won the re-matches. I had bred and trained 36 pokemon for this purpose. I got some of the parents of those pokemon from the people here so big thanks to them.

The Champions tournament was 4v4 single battle and best of three and the one who lost got eliminated until there were only two left for the finals.
My team was:

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Ability: Disguise
EV's 252 HP / 252 At¨k / 4 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Destiny Bond
- Trick Room

Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EV's 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Sp. Def
Nature: Impish
- Return
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Belly Drum

Cloyster @ Focus Shash
Abiity: Skill Link
EV's 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Ice Shard
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Sphear
- Shell Smash

Araquanid @ Wakan Berry
Ability: Water Bubble
EV's 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant
- Leech Life
- Lunge
- Liquidation
- Mirror Coat

Alolan Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EV's 252 HP / 248 Atk / 8 Sp.Def
Nature: Adamant
- Taunt
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off

Drampa @ Choise Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
EV's 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Nature: Quiet
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor

I could have planned my team better and their EV spreads but I had a limited amount of time. I still made it to the finals. Mostly thanks to Cloyster, Snorlax and Mimikyu.

In the finals I was against a guy who had a Focus Shash Nihilego, Life Orb Golisopod, Alolan Marowak, a Red Card Mimikyu, Tapu Bulu and one other mon I can't remember.

I won. It was very tight three matches but I won.
Of course this wasn't and official tournament but still. They were all good players.
That's really cool @Aqwell! I love when conventions do that!
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv