Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[BUILD SUBMISSION] Sturdy Shedinja double battle setup :P
Now, I've loved the idea of Sturdy Shedinja for a long time, and finally I worked out a way to make it happen.

So, here's how it works.

You have a Carbink and a Shedinja as your first two Pokémon. Carbink has HA Sturdy and knows Skill Swap, Safeguard, Protect and Stone Edge, with as good as possible EVs and IVs. It also holds a Quick Claw. Shedinja obviously has the iconic Wonder Guard, along with the moveset of Shadow Sneak, Swords Dance, Phantom Force and Confuse Ray. It holds a Focus Sash in case an opponent hits it before Carbink uses Skill Swap. IVs and EVs are, of course, important, but only Attack, Sp. Attack and Speed. 

Carbink uses Skill Swap on Shedinja. Opponent can no longer kill Shedinja unless opponent burns Shedinja or weather effects such as Sandstorm or Hail appear. Next turn, Carbink uses Safeguard — or if you want to, give it Normalium Z instead of Quick Claw, and use Z-Safeguard instead — and now Shedinja is protected from status effects, so can only be hurt by weather effects. All the while, Shedinja has been using Swords Dance. Carbink has almost outlived its usefulness, except you'll need Safeguard every so often, so one or two of your other Pokémon should learn it. Now just attack using Shedinja however you want. Tell me if I made any errors or if you think it won't work for some reason, I'm really excited to hear your feedback! Smile
(Dec 18, 2017, 02:33 AM)RiotIsBored Wrote: Now, I've loved the idea of Sturdy Shedinja for a long time, and finally I worked out a way to make it happen.

So, here's how it works.

You have a Carbink and a Shedinja as your first two Pokémon. Carbink has HA Sturdy and knows Skill Swap, Safeguard, Protect and Stone Edge, with as good as possible EVs and IVs. It also holds a Quick Claw. Shedinja obviously has the iconic Wonder Guard, along with the moveset of Shadow Sneak, Swords Dance, Phantom Force and Confuse Ray. It holds a Focus Sash in case an opponent hits it before Carbink uses Skill Swap. IVs and EVs are, of course, important, but only Attack, Sp. Attack and Speed. 

Carbink uses Skill Swap on Shedinja. Opponent can no longer kill Shedinja unless opponent burns Shedinja or weather effects such as Sandstorm or Hail appear. Next turn, Carbink uses Safeguard — or if you want to, give it Normalium Z instead of Quick Claw, and use Z-Safeguard instead — and now Shedinja is protected from status effects, so can only be hurt by weather effects. All the while, Shedinja has been using Swords Dance. Carbink has almost outlived its usefulness, except you'll need Safeguard every so often, so one or two of your other Pokémon should learn it. Now just attack using Shedinja however you want. Tell me if I made any errors or if you think it won't work for some reason, I'm really excited to hear your feedback! Smile
i might be remembering this incorrectly, but i don't think that there's a way to give any other pokemon wonder guard. if that is the case, then skill swap will fail.
(Dec 18, 2017, 02:38 AM)Cubivor Wrote:
(Dec 18, 2017, 02:33 AM)RiotIsBored Wrote: Now, I've loved the idea of Sturdy Shedinja for a long time, and finally I worked out a way to make it happen.

So, here's how it works.

i might be remembering this incorrectly, but i don't think that there's a way to give any other pokemon wonder guard. if that is the case, then skill swap will fail.

Ah... With any luck, that isn't the case and this will work, because otherwise all my preparations will be for nothing lol.
(Dec 18, 2017, 02:38 AM)Cubivor Wrote: i might be remembering this incorrectly, but i don't think that there's a way to give any other pokemon wonder guard. if that is the case, then skill swap will fail.

That's correct.

Anyway, that combo would be difficult to put in place and it's not worth it, as Stone Edge deals nothing and SSneak+PForce need both Fighting type coverage and higher Atk to KO "fastly".
Alright, thanks.
Soaking Shedinja (which changes its typing to Pure Water) is a better tactic. You can negate Weather Effects with Safety Goggles, and It learns Protect. Simple.
@RiotIsBored 

There is another possibility that may work albeit harder to achieve (I haven't tried this myself but maybe it works?)

Smeargle copies sturdy from a Pokémon (possibly carbink) with roleplay then passes sturdy on with entertainment to a switched shedinja. You can give shedinja safety goggles as @dmann said as a bonus to make it truly unstoppable if you have a safeguard running from either smeargle (probably KO'd at this point) or a switched Pokémon. 

You could use carbink for both grabbing the sturdy and for the safeguard setup later on leaving you with a 4th slot to choose a Pokémon you like Tongue

downside is that if opponent predicts it and kills shedinja before entertainment it will fail and you need smeargle to survive long enough

Thanks, will see if I can try it.
...I gave you the advice, now, through Bulbapedia, I will now show you why you are chasing your tail.

Now listen, read the link, and learn.

Wonder Guard cannot be Skill Swapped (on AND off), Or Role Played, or Copied by Power of Alchemy or Reciever. Read the EFFECT of Wonder Guard, and then realise why Soak is the best option, type-wise.

You are swapping from Bug/Ghost (Weak vs Flying, Rock, Ghost, Fire And Dark) to WATER (Weak vs Electric and Grass).