Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Can this Torkoal be VGC viable?
Just hatched a shiny Torkoal but he's only 3/6 with pretty good in both defences. Could I still use him on a team?
It depends on the the desired IVs and the EV spread you provide for the Torkoal. Typically, most if not all Torkoal sets are Quiet Nature with 0 speed IV to ensure they are always "faster" (or slower) than 0 IV Gigalith in Trick Room, another popular weather user. In my opinion, technically speaking its better to have a quiet nature Torkoal in the end for comp.
If you have a Quiet nature, the ideal one for VGC, you can probably Hyper Train your Torkoal to make it have the stats of a 6IV Torkoal. But if you don't have a Quiet nature, it will not be optimal to use in VGC as its main niche is Trick Room.
Basically you are gunning for a low speed IV of 0 or 1 if you want to speed tie with minimum speed Torkoal (with Quiet and 0 or 1 IV ). You can hyper train HP, Def, Sp Def, and Special Attack, but leave out Attack, if in case you want to reduce foul play/confusion damage, or speed which will take awhile to breed or obtain one. If you don't plan to use Torkoal with Quiet and 0 speed IV, you can outspeed opposing torkoals, but I cannot guarantee that you can outpseed other Trick Room threats like Gigalith, Araquanid, or Snorlax if they have a speed stat in such a fashion.