Poll: About what should be my next "All Our Favorite" post?
This poll is closed.
Fairy-Types
83.33%
5 83.33%
Ultra Beasts
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] All Our Favorite Steel Pokémon!
[Image: Y6iLshI.png]

Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and as per your votes, today I'm covering some of our most steely companions!

Steel-Types are definitely a walking marvel of the Pokémon franchise. They were introduced in Gen 2 along with Dark-Types, and ever since we've kind of been at their mercy. They excel in competitive play, make great tanks in playthroughs, and never fail to outclass other pokémon that share their type purely because of all the resistances that Steel-Type bears. It's truly hard to say anything negative about the Steel-Type, aside from many its common weakness. But then again, every mon has its hubris. As such, why don't we get into the more refined details on some of our favorite hardy pokémon? The issue with me discussing my personal favorite Steel-Types however it that I've already covered most of them in varius other posts. Mons like:

Sandslash-alola Bisharp Escavalier

These three are undoubtedly some of my favorite pokémon period, and given that they're all Steel-Type, it makes it a little hard for me to mention them for a third, second, even fourth time in some cases. If you missed my ramblings on any of these mons, you can find the posts for them right here: 1) Sandslash, 2) Bisharp, and 3) Escavalier. Other than these three however, there is one Steel-Type I've never really touched on that holds a special place in my heart. Not only is this mon my favorite Steel-Type, but also my favorite pokémon of all time! That pokémon is:

Empoleon
[Image: latest?cb=20170927211126]
Empoleon @ Figy Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 188 HP / 188 Atk / 132 Sp Def
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Aqua Jet/Icy Wind
- Knock Off
- Liquidation

Where do I even begin with Empoleon? I could easily talk all day about the many adventures I had with Empoleon, but I suppose for the sake of your time (and mine), I ought to keep it concise. I got Diamond the year it came out, 2006, and I chose Piplup because I was obessed with penguins at the time. Little did I know that Empoleon wasn't just an awesome penguin, it was also easily one of the best starters I've used in a playthrough. That Water-Type demolished many of the gyms, and held its own against the ones that it didn't hit for super-effective damage. Come endgame, one Ice Beam from my Empoleon ended Cynthia's Garchomp (hence why I don't remember having much trouble with it), and then afterwards...the thing that really makes Empoleon my favorite. I used the Pokémon League in Platinum version to level up countless of pokémon to 100, and in doing so, I entered the Hall of Fame with Empoleon get this: over +1,200 times! No, I'm not joking. I forget the exact number, but my friend dared me to get my Hall of Fame count pass 1,000, and I sure did it. Empoleon was with me the whole time, sporting the moveset of Brine, Hydro Cannon, Drill Peck, and Surf, my Empoleon and I devastated more mons than I can remember. For this reason, my original Empoleon (dubbed Phoenix's Empoleon), will be the pinnacle of everything I strive to be as a trainer. He was hardy, strong, fast, and he never lost. What better reason could one have to like a pokémon the most?

Also, it is worth noting that since Empoleon is just barely on the VGC 2018 tier list, I'm certainly going to be experimenting with it later. However, seeing as how its usage isn't higher, I can probably already tell just how useful it is. Eh, if I can make an Emolga work, than what's stopping me from using an Empoleon?

Other Steel-Types I adore are:

Togedemaru Aggron Excadrill

I fell in love with Togedemaru from the first time I saw it. There's few pokémon that can claim to be as cute as the Roly-Poly Pokémon whilst being as deadly. When I saw that this thing appear in the VGC 2017 tier ladder, I about exploded. I was so happy that a Pikachu clone (other than Pachirisu) was getting usage. I still adore Togedemaru for this reason, and if I ever build a Gen 7 Doubles Dream Team, I'm definitely going to be including Togedemaru. Shout out to our former World Champ Wolfey Glick for bringing one to Worlds last year!

Aggron I've already covered in my Our Teams from Hoenn post, but I think it's worth going over again. I just really love the transition that Aggron goes through. Starting as a tiny Aron, timid and helpless, to a mighty monster that Heavy Slams everything into oblivion. My love for Aggron was recently renewed because I used one in my Ultra Sun playthrough. I nicknamed him Pohaku'i, and he was the MVP for many of the key battles throughout the game, including Totem Mimikyu, Totem Ribombee, Guzma, Kahili, and of course the big baddie himself, Ultra Necrozma. I'll never forget the first time I caught an Aron in my original Sapphire version, what a lifelong friend I'd made.

And last, Excadrill is the newest addition to this list, but its place is as justified as the rest. I used an Excadrill for the first time when I played Black 2, and it plowed through a great many of the key battles. I also distinctly remember my Excadrill outspeeding Kyurem-Black, then getting a critical hit with Metal Claw and OHKOing it. Take that, Ghetsis! You have nothing on my burrowing friend. Excadrill is also awesome in competitive Singles, and Sand Rush makes it decently viable in Doubles, which gives it points in my book for awesomeness. Not to mention it's the best pokémon for a B2W2 speedrun. Thank you, crafted!

Honorable mentions go to:

Icon-dialga Icon-lucario Icon-metagross Icon-aegislash Icon-skarmory

That about wraps up my feelings on my favorite Steel-Types! If ever you wondered why Empoleon was my favorite pokémon, well now you know! It's because we annihiliated the Platinum Pokémon League more times than there are countries on the planet! Make sure you follow up with those link I provided if you're curious about any of the other times I've mentioned my other favorite Steel-Types. If I ever make a Top 12 Favorite Pokémon list, it seems like Steel-Types will comprise 1/3 of the list. And I always say my favorite type is Dragon. Ha, 0kamii is so inconsistent. Anyway, thanks so much for reading everyone! Hopefully that long-awaited secret VGC core will make its debut appearance on Friday, and I'll finally be able to start bouncing ideas for it off all of y'alls!

Thanks so much for reading, everyone! Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii

P.S. Don't forget to let me know which Steel-Types are YOUR favorite down below! As usual, I'll be sure to respond as often as I can.
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

Hey, everyone! I'm still 0kamii, and for my bimonthly "All Our Favorite" post, I feel like I want to tag: @Gromov1397, @SalamenceSniper, @pvslc, and new user @DeltaDagger. Your QOTD is:

What is your favorite Steel-Type, and why? What's your favorite way to use it?

I look forward to all the conversations we'll start. Remember to keep it rated G. Thanks all!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

*sees title*

*screams internally*

OK LET ME TELL Y'ALL ABOUT THE SET UP LORD THAT IS DURANT

Flik (Durant) @ Darkinium Z  
Ability: Hustle  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- Hone Claws  
- X-Scissor  
- Iron Head

This is a pokemon that I have been trying to breed in game, but RNG does not want me to get, but its most likely because of the face it is so good at doing what I does best, getting 1 turn to set up a Z-Hone Claws will instantly give you a +2 to your attack stat, and a +1 to your accuracy which allows you to gain the 1.5 attack buff from Hustle and still have your accuracy allow all your moves to hit much more often (asides from a 0.05% chance to miss Rock Slide) and on top of that Hitting like a Truck.

While it may appear like a small scizor clone, It is far from it, and on top of that you get the beautiful image of AN ANT BEATING UP WHATEVER YOU ARE UP AGAINST.  JUST THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A BIT 

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018-03-19_at_3.22.24_PM.png]
Mawr
please note that i love steel pokemon in general and most steel types are deeply loved, but i love REALLY love lucario and ageislash, both of which are atleast my top 5 favorite pokemon of all time! In fact lucario is part of the reason i love fighting types so much. I must have had lucario on my team twice in my playthroughs of pokemon.
My favourtie Steel type would probably be Metagross. As soon as i got Stevens Metagross in Omega Ruby, i instantly fell in love with Metagross. My favourite way to use him is by making a team auround his mega, i had a really good set up for it on Omega Ruby, but i sold that to get enough money to buy Ultra Sun. I am currently trying to make a team for him in Ultra Sun, so would anyone have any recommendations for building a team auround him in Ultra Sun? PM me for answers
@FireTaco Oh! Poor Aurorus, beaten by a Chimera Ant! (I absolutely loved the picture! XD)

My favorite Steel-type Pokemon is the metalic version of the world's smelliest fruit:

[Image: ferrothorn.png]
Ferro (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Chople Berry  
Ability: Iron Barbs  
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD  
Sassy Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Stealth Rock  
- Gyro Ball  
- Leech Seed  
- Power Whip  

This set is a little different from your conventional OU Ferrothorn support / hazard setter, but this is because this Ferrothorn is intended to serve as a shield for Fire-types (and this set works very well with Blacephalon or Chandelure as partners, although I prefer the latter because Flash Fire can be handy when you predict a Hidden Power Fire on Ferrothorn). The SpD investment is to tank the now very common Choice Specs Ash-Greninja. Hydro Pump is never a problem, but switching Ferrothorn in on a Dark Pulse may be a problem without some SpD investment.

PS: Have you guys tried a Ferroseed Durian pizza? It is now a trend in China.
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~