Poll: About what should be my next "Our Teams From" post?
This poll is closed.
Johto
50.00%
4 50.00%
Hoenn
25.00%
2 25.00%
Sinnoh
25.00%
2 25.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Our Teams From Kanto! - with 0kamii
[Image: k012tv.png]
Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and today for my Monday post I want to introduce a new series to you all!

The idea for this post, and subsequently the whole series, came from a recent trend I've been seeing on YouTube. I follow a number of PokéTubers, mostly the likes of TheJWittz, Truegreen7, HoodlumScrafty, and TheAuraGuardian. Lately, there's been an interesting trend going around and several of these users have posted videos called, "My Pokémon Team From Every Generation!". This got me thinking, there are probably a number of other users over on PokémonForever that remember some of their old teams fondly. So I figured, instead of throwing it all into one post, I'd break it down by generation so each and every team has their chance to shine! Today, as the pilot for this series, we're going way back to Gen 1, in Kanto!

Above is a ramshackle pic I made of the six mons that I used to go through Kanto. Keep in mind that I've never actually played Red and Blue, and the closest I've come to playing a true Gen 1 game were the remakes, FireRed and LeafGreen. However, I don't think that devalues my Kanto experience at all. I still adore this team, and there's actually a very interesting story that goes with it. Anyway, this team was from my most recent playthrough of FireRed in 2010 or 2011. I don't really remember which. What I do remember is that the six pokémon were:

Blastoise Gyarados Jolteon Charizard Kangaskhan Exeggutor

I was an avid FanFiction writer then, still am. This was the team I thought would be the most cinematic for a story about a trainer traveling through Kanto for the first time. The trainer, named Blake Imakō, started with a Squirtle, which stayed a Wartortle for the majority of his journey. He then bought a Magikarp from the guy at the Mt. Moon PC, received an Eevee from a tournament he won in Celadon City, caught a childless Kangaskhan in the Safari Zone after saving her from poachers, won a Charmader egg in a raffle on Cinnabar Island, and then captured an Exeggcute while backtracking to battle Lt. Surge (yes, you can skip him in the Gen 1 remakes). Obviously, everyone evolved by the time of the Kanto Nationals, which served as the climax of the story against Blake's rival, Owen Criss. However, I wanted the team to feel real. And I decided I was going to actually play a Gen 1 game with these six pokémon.

To my delight, they preformed phenomenally! Every battle went by quite smoothly, thanks to the extensive coverage the team provided. Each gym was surmounted with flare, except Lt. Surge because I had two Water-Types, and the Elite Four crumbled like cornbread. I also documented actual events from my playthrough that I intended to use in the story. Unfortunately, I never got around to writing it, but I still think that it would've been as cinematic as I envisioned. But anyways, I'll never remember the first team I used in my original playthrough of LeafGreen back in 2004, but I still remember this team just as, if not more, fondly!

My MVP was probably Kangaskhan. There were times when her neutral STAB just obliterated everything, and Mega Punch has never been so fun to use as it was then. I loved Kangaskhan so much after that (I'd never used one before), and I was thrilled to see her get used so much in VGC back in 2015.

I'd love to hear from all of you on this matter! Please, tell me what team you remember from your playthrough of Kanto, be it your first or your best! And be sure to tell me what you think of this new series! Yay, or nay? As usual, I'll be asking some fellow users in the thread below for their opinions.

Thanks so much for reading everyone, and I'll see you on Wednesday with the long awaited, "How Accurate is Alolan Culture to Hawaiian?" post. I know there were quite a few people that wanted to see it. I look forward to all the weird and wondrous discussions we're bound to have! Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

Today, for my post question, I want to ask @stephenWITNESS, @TheAlmightySancho, @FireTaco, and @Sharkfang2193. My question for you is:

What was your most memorable team from Kanto, and who was your MVP?

Looking forward to all the reponses! Thanks again for reading, everyone! Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii

O.K time to dig in the memory vault

The first member of my team was charmander had a tough time picking between squirtle and charmander because i loved reptile's but overall i just had to go with charmander and as it turned into a charizard things just got more exciting.

Second member was victreebel simply because it's name sounded like it would bring me victory and it did in many battles

Third member was Beedrill i love honey so it makes perfect sense to have a giant bee right Big Grin

Fourth member was Arbok having a cobra with a face on it's body that strike fear into the enemy need i say more

Fifth member was Lapris it really helped me when it came to dealing with type's such as ground and fire also because blizzard was op

Sixth and final member was Ryhorn not only was it a power house it was also sturdy so it could take a beating

So these were the six that made up my Kanto team as for my M.V.P it's kind of a double edged sword but i'm going to have to say ryhorn it won me many battles but at the same time time i lost alot it had horn drill which was kind of like my ace up my sleeve it was either it hit and get me the win or miss and give me the ultimate defeat.

As for this series it's a YAY for me cant wait to talk about my johto and sinnoh team there what i consider my favorite throughout all the gens
Words i live by - Good Luck and Chance.
okay, im going to trigger a lot of people but I honestly think the first gen was the most boring generation of Pokemon.
In Hoenn, you have enviromentalists going extreme
Sinnoh is down-right demented with the creating a new world
Johto is cool, plot wise it's the same as gen 1
Unova, im too biased
Kalos is there..

But, the team I do remember was my 8 year old self used

-A Bulbasaur, because no one liked him
-Victreebell, he was so annoying with his Sleep powder, poison powder and Vine whip, the strat was to get them down to 25% and land a sleep powder, then force them to use a full heal and finish them

-I had a Lapras, it was just stalling lol

-A Moltres, because I thought "wow a fire chicken would be sick"

-Finally, a Kangaskhan, i never used it
Well, heh heh, here's the thing......
I never played Gen. 1.
FIGHT ME GENWUNNERS!
FIGHT ME!
But I did play Johto, please do the Johto thing.
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
@0kamii  Ah Gen one , my third favourite gen  Smile

Well my team was in this particular order : Blastoise , Pidgeot , Butterfree , Lapras , Nidoking and Kabutops.

So I started off with a starter pokemon like everyone else and then I came across a pidgy and I needed a bird pokemon so I caught it.

Carterpie was really weak when I caught it but when it evolved into a Butterfree , I spammed sleep powder and gust/confusion to all opposing trainers Big Grin

And then in Mt Moon , I was given an option for the Helix fossil or the Dome fossil and I chose the Dome fossil while not knowing what it was.

I caught a pink bunny and it evolved into a nidoking so I realized I caught a Nidorino in the wild.

When I found Lapras , Mostly all of my pokemon have evolved to their final form and my fossil turned into a Kabuto then a Kabutops and I captured Lapras and sweept the elite 4 and my rival with my Fully evolved Pokemon.
@0kamii my first team was Venasaur, Nidoking, Ninetales, Vapoureon, Kabutops and Slowbrow. My mvp was definitely Nidoking. With ice beam, thunderbolt, earthquake and I can't remember it's last move. But it was a force to be reckoned with, especially against Lance. Also considering that half my team was weak to electric
Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
Is away from computer, will do a good post in about 3 days.

Just thought I would list my team.

* Venusaur 
* Rhydon
* Ninetails
* Starmie
* Syther
* Magneton

~Fun Fact, I never used Fly on any of my Pokémon so I did all travel by walking~

(this took way to long to do on a phone)
Mawr
Wow! Only up for two days and so many replies. Thanks so much, everyone! These have been super fun to read, and your stories are all very interesting. To show my appreciation, I thought I'd flesh our your teams a little more. Wink

@Sharkfang2193's Team:

Charizard Victreebel Beedrill Arbok Lapras Rhyhorn

Your team probably has the most in-depth explanation. And it was very intriguing to read and to see your thought process while building the team. It sounds like you had fun with that Rhyhorn, and if and when they ever make another Gen 1 remake, I'm sure you'll use the same team again!

@Reis' Team:

Bulbasaur Victreebel Lapras Moltres Kangaskhan

I agree with you, by the way. Gen 1 is my least favorite too, but it was the beginning of the whole series. Like anyone expected it to be perfect?

@RetroTyphlosion:

Eh, no team.

That's unfortunate, as the Gen 1 games and their remakes are very fun to play! But yes, Johto looks like the clear winner for the next one. I'll be posting that in the near future. Maybe next Friday.

@Corrosion2424's Team:

Blastoise Pidgeot Butterfree Lapras Nidoking Kabutops

Your third favorite? Dare I ask which is number one?

@stephenWITNESS' Team:

Venusaur Nidoking Ninetales Vaporeon Kabutops Slowbro

Nice to see someone else using an Eeveelution in their playthrough! I used a Vaporeon the first time I played Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. Unfortunately, that file got corrupted on Citadark Isle, and I was forced to play the game all over again. The second time however, I chose a Jolteon and...well, now look at me! Big Grin

@FireTaco's Team:

Venusaur Rhydon Ninetales Starmie Scyther magneton:

It takes a strong, strong trainer to walk everywhere! I applaud you, FireTaco! Sweet team, by the way. Love the use of Ninetales over Arcanine. I always preferred the fox.

Everyone:

Interestingly enough, I'm counting one Charmander, two Squirtle (including me), and three Bulbasaur. I guess according to this sample size, Venusaur is the actual most popular starter. Who'd knew?

Charmander Squirtle Squirtle Bulbasaur Bulbasaur Bulbasaur
- 0kamii

Oh man. First team through Kanto, huh? Well then, guess I'm gonna have dig through the ol' brain vault for the memories!

The first Pokemon game I ever played was actually Fire Red, when I was around 8-9 years old! I caught most of the dex, and a lot of the Pokemon on my team were swapped around for the fun of using all the Pokes, but these are the stories of the ones that ended up on my final team when I beat the game!

I remember starting with Charmander, because my cousin told me he turned into a giant Dragon, and my 8-9 year old self loved Dragons! I was so creative, I named him "RED"  Big Grin

My second party member was a Pidgey I named "WINGS" because, like I said, I was a very creative child. Fun little fact- in her honor, every time I play a new Pokemon generation, I catch the starting flying type and name it Wings!

A friend from school told me I could catch Pikachu in Viridian Forest, so I made sure to do just that! So after a LONG *** TIME of going through encounters to get one, I caught her and named her "PIKA"! 

A short time after catching PIKA, I caught an Oddish that I named "ONION", because he obviously looks like an onion...

Somewhere along the way, I picked up a Nidoran(m) and named it "SPIKE" because of the spike on his head. Once he evolved into Nidoking, he quickly became the face of my party. He just looked so freakin' cool!

I got that Lapras later in the game and named her "SALLY". To this day, I am still unsure why "SALLY" was the name that came to mind when I got her...

So, when the eighth badge was obtained, the Elite Four defeated, and Gary taken down, my Champion team consisted of RED the Charizard, WINGS the Pidgeot, PIKA the Raichu, ONION the Vileplume, SPIKE the Nidoking, and SALLY the Lapras! They were my best friends, and definitely one of my favorite story teams I've ever used

Breeder Scott - Proud Member of the Amethyst 0mega Breeder's Guild

Looking for breedables? Check out my new shop