Poll: Which of the 3 Real World Counterparts do you like the most?
This poll is closed.
Orchid Mantis
80.00%
4 80.00%
Saltwater Crocodile
0%
0 0%
Alligator Snapping Turtle
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Pokemon Whose Real-Life Counterparts Are Just As Cool
Of all the 800+ Pokemon we have, no doubt we got some of the coolest designs and ideas for fantasy style monsters in video games, but the Pokemon we know and love are of course most, if not all, based on real world animals, objects etc., so let's take a look at a few Pokemon who have equally as epic real world counterparts.

1. Lurantis | Orchid Mantis

[Image: lurantis.png][Image: 1024px-Mantis_Hymenopus_coronatus_6_Luc_Viatour.jpg]

Starting off with one of my favorite Generation 7 Pokemon, Lurantis. Lurantis is a rather unique Pokemon in that although it clearly looks like a Bug Type, it's a pure Grass type. Lurantis camouflages itself as a flower and draws it's prey in with a sweet, enticing aroma, before attacking and striking it's prey down. It's attacks almost look like dancing which has lead it to being called the most elegant Grass type. If it's Trainer is hard working and takes good care of it, it will grow a close bond to them, however if the Trainer is lazy, it will have a harder time doing so. Lurantis is based on the Orchid Mantis, a species of mantis that is unique from others of it's species. The Orchid Mantis' coloring and limbs make it look like the orchids in the areas it resides in, using this, it hides on top of the orchids, waiting for unsuspecting prey to come close, mistaking it for flowers, before easily taking them out with it's sickle-like appendages. Much like how Lurantis is picky with who takes care of it, the Orchid Mantis, although able to eat most insects, is a fussy eater, and normally won't take on anything that might take too much effort to kill. Moths and Bees are the most common of it's diet. While we don't know about Lurantis' actions around Fomantis, the female Orchid Mantis is proven to show maternal instincts in protecting her eggs.

2. Krookodile | Gharial / Saltwater Crocodile

[Image: krookodile.jpg][Image: 1920px-Gavialis_gangeticus%2C_ZOO_Praha_045.jpg][Image: 1920px-Crocodile_Crocodylus-porosus_amk2.jpg]

Of course, I couldn't talk about real world Pokemon counterparts without mentioning Krookodile, who shares characteristics to both the Saltwater Crocodile and the common Gharial. First off, unlike Feraligatr, Krookodile's snout is long, and although not thin like the Gharial, it has a thing called a "ghara" which is the big nasal growth, which got it's name as it looks like an earthen pot of the same name. Unfortunately, that's the end of it's similarities to the Gharial, but Krookodile doesn't disappoint as it shares the predatory characteristics of the Saltwater Crocodile. Krookodile's Pokemon Moon Dex entry states; "After clamping down with its powerful jaws, it twists its body around to rip its prey in half." This is an exact mirroring to the Death Roll of real world crocodiles, and commonly, the saltwater croc. It's snout is wider, much like the saltie, and it's eyes are developed so that it can see well even in the midst of a sandstorm, much like how crocodiles can see excelently at night. Crocodiles are ambush predators, waiting for fish or land animals to come close, then rushing out to attack, and Krookodile is no different, as stated by it's Ultra Moon dex entry; "It conceals itself in sandstorms that Flygon whip up and waits patiently for prey to appear.".

3. Carracosta | Alligator Snapping Turtle

[Image: carracosta.png][Image: 1920px-Alligator_snapping_turtle_-_Geier...kii_01.jpg]

Carracosta is rather over-looked in my opinion, but I think it's a really cool Pokemon, and it's real world counterpart, the alligator snapping turtle, is a fearsome creature not to be messed with. Surprisingly enough, I have never seen people talk about Carracosta's similarities to the Alligator Snapping Turtle, so let's get right into it. Starting off, Carracosta's shell has thick plating that protects it's body. Described as being sturdy due to it's diet, the Alligator Snapping Turtle's shell is also incredibly strong, and unlike the common snapping turtle, even it's carapace is protected by thick plating, much like Carracosta. According to it's Ultra Sun dex entry, Carracosta's jaws are quite the powerhouse; "Its jaws are terrifyingly powerful. It could eat Omastar and Omanyte whole and not be bothered in the slightest by their shells." The Alligator Snapping Turtles will eat anything they can find, but their diet consists of fish, fish carcasses and molluscs, but they will prey on worms, water birds, aquatic plants and other turtles. Back to Carracosta, it's Moon dex entry shows us this; "Active both on land and in the sea, this Pokémon drags its land-based prey into the water to finish it off." and would you believe it, the Alligator Snapper will occasionally prey on rodents and birds that stray too close to the water's edge. 

So those are just a couple of really cool real world inspirations for Pokemon! What did you think of the real world equivalents? What real world counterparts do you find intriguing? Let us know below and have a good one!
OU MASTER RACE
I think the mantis is really cool. It reminds me of the shiny lurantis, with the light yellow skin and green eyes. The only pokemon with real life counterparts that I knew of were the obvious ones (snake/ekans, pikachu and the painted mouse) so it's really cool to see some less-obvious ones.