Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Pokemon tournament combo's and setups!
Hi guys! Some of you might know me but many probably don't. I either post about Pokemon Sun or Pokemon Moon, or I send my time trying asking for trade so I can have every Pokemon. (Gotta catch 'em all right?) I want to start a new discusssion on here about pokemon combo's for pokemon VGC, Pokemon Tourneys and/or Pokemon Battle Spot battles. Now i have only competed in the Kanto and Johto Classic competitions. (my best was only rank 664 in Kanto) I have been playing pokemon for eight years and still have not had the guts to compete in competitions. I'm 15 and next year, I will be in masters division so it will only get harder. I'm not looking for Pokemon movesets and/or stats only, i'm looking for combos and/or pokemon that work very well together. Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, to my knowledge, will not have mega stones. (Now I Could Be Wrong) So different combos are what i'm looking for. One's that don't require mega-evolution! I will start off with one i have.

Pokemon Needed: PorygonZ-Snorlax-Togekiss
Moves: to set-up: 3
Continuing Moves: 2
Battle:
Start with snorlax and porygonZ
Snorlax: Fissure
PorygonZ: Protect
Next Turn:
Snorlax: Protect
PorygonZ: Mimic- Mimic's Snorlax's Fissure.
Next Turn:
Withdraw: Snorlax - Send Out: Blissey
Next Turn:
Togekiss: Follow Me
PorygonZ: Lock-On
Next Turn:
Togekiss: Follow Me
PorygonZ: Fissure
Next Ture:
Togekiss: Roost

Continue:

Now IK IK it takes WAYYYYY too long to setup and the chances of Togekiss surviving two hits are crazy! Not to mention that PorygonZ's mimic leaves it open to attack during one turn which is still to much but this is just an idea to kick of my discussion. Please post ideas like it below! Enjoy!

(Oh yeah and PorygonZ can't learn mimic anyomore lol but anyway it was just an idea thx!
The official website has plenty of information on the the succesful teams used in tournaments, including those that were used in World champiinships. As interesting as your Fissure Snorlax/Mimic PorygonZ combo is, sadly it is not one of them :P The thing is with VGC is that it is usually a fast pace game, some games can last 3 or 4 turns before someone has lost all 4 of there pokemon or fold! A better strategy instead of relying on fissure would be looking for direct damage input; Sylveon's hyper voice comes to mind there! It is difficult for me to put input into a team without a mega, because I've only played VGC since 2014 and honestly in those tournament settings a Mega pokemon is an essential part of the team (for me that'd be Metagross and Salamence, but ive given several others a try). The same would be said if you were to practice with Rated Double Battles on battle spot!

As for suggestions that will be actually useful unique inout, a great combo I tried before the start of 2016's "legendary" season was Ludicolo/Politoed. In rated double battles, you won't have to fear Primal Groudon's desolate land ruining your rain, and Mega Charizard-Y seems less prevalent than ever, although you can just switch politoed out-and-in to bring back rain. Politoed AND Ludicolo can be quite bulky, the most common held item for both is sitrius berry (Politoed) and assault vest (ludicolo) for some serious longetivity. However, I was mentioning damage output, and sometimes the massive boost to water attacks with rain just isnt enough. MY set for the two gave Ludicolo a Life Orb and Politoed Helping Hand, so that neutral damage would become overwhelming to anything that can't resist! Think about how you'd want to run those two, what moves items and EV sets they'd have, and considering that's just a third of your team, think about what other 4 you'd run. They could be pokemon that can help Politoed/Ludicolo out with their typing, or something tha tcan take advantage of the rain somehow (think types weak to fire, since rain reduces fire damage, instead of rain-triggered abilities). Hope this helps! There are some great tools on the internet to help you out with team composition and EV Sets, as well as team reports to give you a better idea of what feels best for you.
The problem is not really Togekiss, 2 Normal types in doubles, the lead is really weak to Kang and Terrakion
Might be a blunt or harsh about this, but this is something I need to address.

The problem with certain gimmicks strategies like these is you are wasting so much time and resources to even attempt to get 1 faints against the opposing team. By the time Snorlax, or Porygon Z has managed to get a Fissure successfully, it will be too late to win the battle. As Elm mention, VGC Doubles is incredibly fast-past and players have to score kills/faints before the timer ends (15 mins / 30 mins), or if their own opponent gets the initiative. If you are interested in looking at successful VGC teams, individual Pokemon, and cores, highly suggest to do research and visit multiple sites such as Nugget Bridge, Smogon, or even here at Forever.

At the moment we don't know what format will be the VGC 17, but I recommend to start preparing and review some Pokemon from previous years. If we had to "guess" the format, it will likely be based on the regional "Alola" Dex to showcase the Pokemon available in the play-through before the post game. Tapo Koko an its other members might be the only "legends" in this format so guess you can look forward to that. Regarding Megas, I'm not certain if TCPi will incooperate bans against certain Megas, but its possible (also they are kinda confirmed in the game at this point).

Any further advice I'd say is to look at some of the stronger Pokemon in both VGC and Singles work with them first. Obviously some players want to work with their favorites, but at least they have to know what those high ranked, or viable Pokemon do.
(Sep 29, 2016, 05:40 AM)Black117 Wrote: Might be a blunt or harsh about this, but this is something I need to address.

The problem with certain gimmicks strategies like these is you are wasting so much time and resources to even attempt to get 1 faints against the opposing team. By the time Snorlax, or Porygon Z has managed to get a Fissure successfully, it will be too late to win the battle. As Elm mention, VGC Doubles is incredibly fast-past and players have to score kills/faints before the timer ends (15 mins / 30 mins), or if their own opponent gets the initiative. If you are interested in looking at successful VGC teams, individual Pokemon, and cores, highly suggest to do research and visit multiple sites such as Nugget Bridge, Smogon, or even here at Forever.

At the moment we don't know what format will be the VGC 17, but I recommend to start preparing and review some Pokemon from previous years. If we had to "guess" the format, it will likely be based on the regional "Alola" Dex to showcase the Pokemon available in the play-through before the post game. Tapo Koko an its other members might be the only "legends" in this format so guess you can look forward to that. Regarding Megas, I'm not certain if TCPi will incooperate bans against certain Megas, but its possible (also they are kinda confirmed in the game at this point).

Any further advice I'd say is to look at some of the stronger Pokemon in both VGC and Singles work with them first. Obviously some players want to work with their favorites, but at least they have to know what those high ranked, or viable Pokemon do.
ok thx for the feedback!
I'm how can Snorlax learn fissure? He's not a fishy :s :s
Not I'm um** oopsie :D
Fissure has nothing to do with fish lmao :D
#LillieDefenseSquad