Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Top 10 Coolest Shiny Starters! - with 0kamii
Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and Shiny pokemon are a huge part of my pokemon playing experience!

For those of you that don't know, I'm as much of a Shiny hunter as I am a breeder, even though I personally identify as a full-time breeder, part-time Shiny hunter. As such, there's just something about getting the Shiny you were hunting for so long appear on your screen. There's a rush of excitement and ecstasy, unless of course the Shiny knocks itself out. Which almost happened to me once, but you can read about that over here: (http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-DISCUSS...-Regret-It). But this post is about something a little different. Since my computer is finally debugged, and I promised you all a second post this week before my next VGC analysis, which looks like it'll be about Poliwrath of all things, I'm here to deliver. And so, to commemorate my love for Shiny pokemon, I'm here to countdown my favorite Shiny starter pokemon. Please keep in mind that this list is 100% my opinion, and if you disagree, 1) I don't care and 2) you can share your own opinions in the comments below. Wink

With that being said, I've ranked all Shiny starters based on three different categories. Distinction, Enhancement, and Appeal. There's also a hidden fourth category, Popularity, that will be used in the event of a tie. With all that said, let's first get started with some honorable, and some very dishonorable mentions.

-Honorable Mentions-

1) Incineroar

[Image: Cv2-8C2XYAAJFvm.png]

Our first honorable mention is Incineroar. While Incineroar doesn't have the worst Shiny in the world, it's certainly not the best either. The main reason it missed out on my list, as this is my opinion, is that it's not to my particular tastes. It kind of looks like a candy cane, and for some reason that doesn't fit the fire tiger aesethetic they wanted, methinks. However, I will say that once this thing's Hidden Ability becomes available, I'll definitely hunt for this one. Maybe by then it'll go up, but for now it's an honorable mention.

2) Venusaur

[Image: latest?cb=20140107055916]

Venusaur holds the distinction of being the very last pokemon kicked off the list. That essentially means it's in 11th place. I really like Venusaur's Shiny, but I prefer the regular, and ultimately that means it's not Top 10 worthy. After all, one of the categories is Enhancement. It looks like it overdosed on Power Thirst with one too many shots of Chlorophyll. Again, it has a good Shiny, but you can't beat the original. Not to me, at least.

3) Swamper & Blastoise

[Image: latest?cb=20140118003103]   [Image: latest?cb=20140107083950]

Swampert and Blastoise are sharing a spot because they both suffer from the same problem. They're not bad Shinies, by no means. I actually really like both. Ten for ten in the Distinction category. But unfortunately, the fall here is that there are FAR too many purple Water-Type Shinies. And along that line, there just isn't enough about these two to make them stand out as a result. Sorry guys. We still love you though!

4) Empoleon

[Image: latest?cb=20130906204540]

And the last honorable mention goes to my all-time favorite starter pokemon, Empoleon. Frankly though, that's all that saves this pokemon from being a dishonorable mention. It barely changes, and that's the type of Shiny I like the least. Empoleon, I love you, and I can't ever say anything bad about you. But you have a lackluster Shiny, buddy. And you took me 1,908 eggs to hatch too! Cheeky devil, you.

-Dishonorable Mentions-

1) Meganium

[Image: latest?cb=20151020071025]

Kicking off our list of dishonorable mentions is Meganium. If anyone reading this is a fan of Team Four Star like myself, then you'll know that their Meganium, Mr. Stake, miraculously survived the entirety of their SoulSilver Nuzlocke and was easily the unsung hero of the playthrough. While this did increase my already abundant love for Meganium, there's just no getting around the fact that Meganium has an awful Shiny. It looks like someone peed on a sunflower, and then the leaves absorbed the color. Eck! Meganium, Meganium, how you disappoint me so...

2) Blaziken
[Image: latest?cb=20131129111713]

Oi, here we go again with the Shinies that barely look any different. And yes! This is the sprite of a Shiny Blaziken. It's negligible from the original, and almost as bad as Garchomp. There's really not much to say here. It's not distinct, it's not appealing, and it definitely does not enhance this thing in anyway. I feel bad for all the sorry saps that hunted this thing thinking it was going to be so much more awesome...

3) Torterra
[Image: latest?cb=20150317010654]

I'm starting to notice a trend here. It looks like all the dishonorable mentions are Shinies that barely change in appearance. Torterra is easily the weakest of the three Sinnoh Shinies, and given that I was willing to badmouth my favorite Pokemon to prove it should say something. Oh, Torterra. As a pokemon, you are ground-breaking. As a Shiny? You're withering...

4) Samurott
[Image: latest?cb=20140604044846]

And our last dishonorable mention goes to Samurott. This guy is my favorite of the three Unova starters, and that fact specifically breaks my heart when you realize it has a terrible Shiny. Its Shiny is just as bad as the others in the dishonorable mentions category, because it hardly changes. Because of that, I don't think it requires too much explanation. But enough of this negativity! Let's get into the actual list! Shall we?

The Top 10 Coolest Shiny Starters - with 0kamii

10) Delphox
[Image: 20150320215636]

I'll be honest, I've never owned a Shiny Delphox before, nor have I ever even bred a Fennekin. It's just simply the one Kalos starter with which I couldn't be bothered. Every generation has a dud, and in my opinion, Gen 6's was Delphox. But that doesn't stop its Shiny from looking mystic and spectral. The ghostly silver really highlights the Psychic-Type, and makes this wizarding fox jump. Highly distinctive. Very appealing, and it certainly enhances the design. My only gripe with this Shiny is that we already have a beloved silver fox that pulls off the same colors better. Sorry Delphox, you're six generations too late.

9) Typhlosion
[Image: latest?cb=20160506224738]

I really struggled with where to put Typhlosion on this list. The change to Typhlosion is very subtle, and you probably haven't even noticed it. The fur on its back changes to a deep crimson, making its back look like it's covered in brimstone shavings. Brimstone is commonly associated with the phrase, 'fire and brimstone,' so the reddish color actually fits. It makes Typhlosion's Shiny look more fiery and intimidating, and if you give it Choice Specs and Eruption...it is! This is a really cool Shiny, and I definitely intend to hunt it one day!

8) Serperior
[Image: latest?cb=20131103061002]

Serperior placed one slot above Typhlosion for one key reason, and that's regality. Something about the blue streak running down Serperior's spine makes this Grass-Type snake stick out like a royal tapestry, and adds a touch of elegance to an already majestic pokemon. People love to hate snakes, but I think they're rhythmic and hypnotizing. I'm not afraid of them one bit, and this snake capitalizes on everything awesome about our serpentine friends! It's very distinct, definitely enhacning, and is it appealing? Do I even have to say it?

7) Feraligatr
[Image: latest?cb=20140523224740]

In my humble opinion, however much worth it contains, Feraligatr has the best Johto starter Shiny. It looks like a mutant crocodilian, and I've always thought those living dinosaurs were a sight to behold. Not only does Shiny Feraligatr stick out, but it also gets the Hidden Ability Sheer Force. Need I say more? The blue jumps out at you, and the faded yellow highlights on the stomach really tie it all together. Overall this is a great Shiny, and easily one of the best Shiny starters. Obviously, it's number 7 on my list.

6) Sceptile
[Image: latest?cb=20140117235343]

Sceptile looks a lot like Feraligatr, but the main reason it ranks higher is because of nostalgia. Prior to my Shiny hunting awakening, the only Shiny I had was a Shiny Swinub I found by chance. However, once I was hooked to the thrill of the hunt, I made the executive decision to soft-reset at the start of my Alpha Sapphire version until I got a Shiny Treecko. Two months of hunting, and 2,244 resets later, I was about on the verge of tears. Matter of fact, I think I WAS crying. It was the first time I'd committed to a hunt, and seeing Treecko finally shine on my screen made it worth it. In terms of the three categories, it's most certainly distinct. I wouldn't have hunted it if I didn't think it was appealing, and yes, I think it does enhance Sceptile's look. It looks like a real chameleon, and that makes it awesome. I love biologically accurate mons!

5) Chesnaught
[Image: d45e66ddf705208a4fb5db9b54dee553.jpg]

Here's one that you probably didn't see coming. As of writing this, I don't actually own a Shiny Chesnaught, but it's definitely on my hunting list. There's no denying that this Shiny stands out, and that's a good thing in this case! The dark green really brings out Chesnaught's wow factor, and he goes from looking like he's being squished by his own shell to a behemoth ready for battle! I can't really explain what it is about Chesnaught's Shiny, but it just looks so cool, and from one to ten on the enhancement scale, I'd give this thing an 11! Shiny Chesnaught, I'm coming for you!

4) Emboar
[Image: latest?cb=20131129224629]

I'm not sure why everyone loves to hate Emboar. I used one in my Black 2 playthrough and he wrecked face! Nothing could stop this pyrotechnic pig, and once I saw its Shiny I was hooked! I'm a huge lover of blue fire, and the aura of indigo that radiates from Emboar's neck makes him look like a force with which to be reckoned! Not only that, but the blue nose adds a dash of cuteness that seals the deal for me. Perfect scores in Distinction and Enhancement. The only reason it's not higher is because I seem to be the only one that adores this Shiny. Maybe I'll change a few minds?

3) Charizard
[Image: latest?cb=20140107075429]

WHAAAAT?!???! CHARIZARD IS ONLY NUMBER THREE??!?!?! Yes, baffled reader. Charizard is the winner of the bronze medal, at least in my opinion. Charizard's Shiny was a sleeping monster, and once people realized what it looked like everyone and their sister wanted one. Myself included. I hunted a Shiny Charmander in my X version back in 2015, and I got it after only 140 eggs. I named him Malebranche, out of my love for Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy. And while I do conceed that Shiny Charizard looks amazing, it's just not my favorite. Again, it's MY opinion. Besides, like I said earlier, Charizard's Shiny exploded onto the scene after years of obscurity. Our silver and gold winners were popular right out of the gate.

2) Decidueye
[Image: decidueye.png]

Yeah, y'all knew Decidueye was going to be on here. I don't think Decidueye's Shiny requires too much explanation. I mean come on! It's easily one of the most popular Shinies in the entire 7th generation, and people dedicated hours, weeks even to hunting this thing without ever having played the game. Myself included! As soon as I saw this thing I knew I needed to have one, and thus I spent two weeks straight after the release of Sun and Moon soft-resetting for this thing. It took 1,784 resets. That's over 72 hours of cutscene. But you know what? For this Shiny, I'd do it all again. People wanted this Shiny for weeks prior to the release of the game, heck they wanted the Shiny before they wanted the regular version, and that's why Decidueye is our silver medal winner.

1) Greninja
[Image: shiny_greninja_global_link_art_by_traine...6v3x0a.png]

Okay, come on. Y'all had a feeling either Greninja or Charizard was going to be Number 1. As much of a cop-out as this may feel, you can't deny the facts. Greninja's popularity skyrocketed in the weeks after its release, and once images of its Shiny were leaked onto the Internet, people were dropping everything to hunt it. I personally got my Shiny Froakie after only 26 eggs, so I got really lucky, and I named him Nokurai. Greninja even beat out Charizard as the most popular pokemon following the release of X and Y. That coupled with its incredible Shiny and undeniable popularity makes Greninja that obvious choice for number one. And come on, let's be real. Even if you're like my partner and don't like things that are over-hyped, the raw awesomeness of this Shiny is irrefutable. Nokurai, we'll be best friends forever, I'm sure. Smile

Well, that's all for my bonus post. Finding all the images for these Shinies was a pain, but I know you all will start interesting...mature...discussions in the comments below. I'll probably post my new VGC analysis between Friday and Monday, so be on the lookout for that! I hope to read you all soon. Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

@0kamii 

I must carry with me the horrible flashbacks of evolving my beautiful gold torchic into the blaziken it is today and instantly regretting it. I also carry with me the joy of my typhlosion, decidueye, sceptile, incineroar and swampert. My shiny starter list is longer than I expected. I agree with most of this list to be honest. I had a shiny greninja and then accidentally traded it for a shiny absol, which has haunted me for a while now.

Anyway, that's all from me. Now I must return for another attempt at shiny hunting my beautiful green pyukumuku. They're annoying to hunt.

-Sancho (I need to get an actual signature some day)
SCP Foundation - Secure. Contain. Protect.

My trade shop - V2.3
@TheAlmightySancho

I'd say Pyukumuku's Shiny falls into the same category as Incineroar. It's not bad, but it's just not to my taste. I wish you luck in finding it, though. And yeah, Shiny Torchic looks awesome, Shiny Combusken is neat, but for some reason Blaziken just took the day off. Ah well, at least Swampert and Sceptile are still awesome! I am curious though, Sancho. You said you agree with most of my list. Tell me then, which ones do you think should've been placed otherwise? I'd be interested to find out. Smile

- 0kamii

@0kamii 

Well as I said I agree with most of it, so the changes wouldn't be too major. I quite like shiny primarina, it doesn't change much but the change in the colour of the hair for some reason makes it stand out more. I think this gives it more flavour, which I find wonderful. I also think that infernape's kind of a dishonourable mention, I don't really like it. It doesn't really feel as if much work was put into the colour. Like it got sunburnt one day and that was enough.

In other news, I just got a shiny turtwig off wondertrade. I like shiny turtwig, so I probably won't evolve it.

-Sancho

I can't be bothered to get a signature, so I'll just type this down here (bonus points if anybody knows that quote):

"That is not dead which may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die"
SCP Foundation - Secure. Contain. Protect.

My trade shop - V2.3
@TheAlmightySancho

To be honest, Infernape was going to be a dishonorable mention. But after four other dishonorable mentions, I figured it was time to get into the actual list. Besides, at least Chimchar doesn't tease you with what looks to be an awesome Shiny before sucker punching you in the gut with a bad Shiny like Turtwig does. Ugh.

Primarina is just one of those Shinies that doesn't really stick out to me. I agree that it's different enough to stand out, but to me it's just so forgettable that I couldn't be bothered to mention it. Kind of like Infernape. But I digress.

You pulled my English major out of me. I'd recognize the Cthulu Mythos anywhere.  Wink

- 0kamii

For me, I was always surprised that everyone adored Greninja, I dunno. When X and Y first came out and I saw the starters and their evolutions, I knew I wanted Fennekin from the get-go. Although I don't think Greninja is a bad Pokemon or has a bad design, I just think that Delphox is the best out of the Gen 6 starters. Plus, at least the shiny is more of a color redesign and changes more than the primary color like Greninja's one color swap. To be fair though, I guess Delphox had more colors to change anyway lmao

Interesting list btw! ^^ It was a fun read. Got me thinking about what Pokemon have the best/worst shinies lmao

EDIT: Also I'm glad to see my boi Typhlosion on the top 10, feels good man
@0kamii Oh, come on! Your no. 9 should be no. 1! Any Typhlosion, shiny or mot, is the best! Wink
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
@Sir. that's my toast. Like I mentioned in my post, Delphox has a great Shiny. I actually got one over Wonder Trade, but I'm not in any rush to train it. If you think it has a better Shiny, then that's perfectly okay! As I said, this list is purely my opinion. So I'm always curious to see how people respond, if they agree, if they don't, the works. And yeah, Typhlosion has a very underrated Shiny, I just think there are a few I like better. Glad I got you thinking! Smile

@RetroTyphlosion Lo siento, companero. I really like Typhlosion's Shiny, as I stated. But there are just nine others I like more. I know you love Typhlosion, so I was curious to see how you responded to seeing your mon/mascot on my list. Tell you what, if you make your own list, you can put Typhlosion on the top of that, and I'll complain about where you put Empoleon so we're even. Deal?

- 0kamii

@0kamii I'll be sure to do that! Be sure to see your Empoleon not even placed!
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
@0kamii Oh damn, lucky grab! I love getting shinies in WT, although I usually let them go back into the system. It feels wrong having a shiny that you didn't catch, for me at least. It's like if someone just gave you a trophy. Yeah, it's a trophy, but you didn't earn it lmao. Anyway, weird tangent aside, I like the topic discussion lol. Now excuse me while I now attempt to get a shiny Fennekin kek