Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

First Post
Hey everybody, my name is Black117 and I decided to join the justinflynn.com so I may contribute in whatever way I can from the competitive field, particularly in singles. Anyways lets get down to my roots with the game. I actually been playing Pokemon every since late generation 1 when I was young and immediately I got hooked. Compared with some of the new players, I actually learned the basics of competitive battling such as ev training, ivs, and eventually competitive team building in Firered, and most evidently Emerald. It was with the Battle Frontier facilities where I just wanted to get high win streaks in the Battle Tower, Pyramid, Dome, etc.

The Gen 4 Game were personally my favorite in the entire franchise because of the Physical/Special split. This one feature alone made mediocre pokemon good since they no longer had to run a mixed set often. It was this time I just visit forums and websites like smogon and serebii to see whats are some of the best optimal sets for each pokemon. I still wanted to test out these some of my own creative sets in the Battle Tower/Battle Frontier from time to time. During this time and in the next generation, I always tried breeding for the best iv spread pokemon possible where I aim was getting at least a 3 iv pokemon. Generation 5 was the first time I tried battling with people online with the new "Random Matchups". It was one feature I always wanted Pokemon to implement ever since Gen 4 where you'd just battle with a someone else from the globe other than exchanging friend codes. I would just spend hours playing with different people online just battling and learning different movesets, strategies, and developing my prediction game.

Honestly, I think we all can admit Gen 6 did more to make competitive Pokemon battling accessible to everyone than I actually anticipated. This was also the time when my own competitive skills improved drastically with the combination of playing Pokemon Showdown and challenging others from different facebook groups. I often try building teams to suit certain playstyles I favor such as volt-turn, hyper offense, balance, bulky offense, and semi-stall.

The first time I started watching Justin's steams on twitch was around late November/December, so about a year. Probably one of my favorite moments was when Justin faced either Mitch or Jedi ( I can't recall) but Justin was down to a Sableye and while the other had a M-Kangaskhan and a choice scarf HP Ice Rotom-H. It was amusing that Justin was able to win by stalling out both pokemon and eventually won his own tourney. I occasionally watch Justin's stream from time to time whenever he is streaming, or as a commentator for the Pokemon US National and World Championship. I haven't really gotten into the doubles metagame just because its a different beast compared with the singles metagame. Personally I have no biases in regards to how people play Pokemon whether its Smogon, Battle Spot, VGC, Nintendo Rules, no legends, etc. Anyone is entitled to their opinions let no one can tell this is the "correct way" to play competitively. I am actually looking forward in contributing in this forum and hopefully I can be integrated into the community. Thanks to those who read this post since I tend to be a bit convoluted with my writing from time to time.
Welcome Black117
Welcome Black! Smile
Nice to hear from you on here finally, if there's anything I can help you with at all, feel free to ask!
I found it rather refreshing to read through what you put, because I generally felt the same about most of what you said Smile
I have no doubt at some stage, we'll end up playing together though!
welcome :D
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~