Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[GUIDE] Shiny Hunting in Gen. 7 Games! -By RetroTyphlosion
Introduction:
Hello,everybody! Shiny Pokémon have fascinated many trainers , simply because of their rarity and sheer amazingness. But, how do you catch a shiny Pokémon? In the newest Pokémon games, many shiny hunting methods have been introduced, which I will discuss in this guide.

Step 1: Getting Started:
      So, where do we begin? Well, most shiny hunters choose to start off by acquiring the Shiny Charm. This handy dandy Key Item increases your chances of encountering a shiny Pokémon. This item is received after completing the Pokedex. Luckily for you, the Pokedex is easier to complete in Gen. 7 than in any other game, thanks to the GTS and a much downsized Pokedex size. At the time of writing, the Pokedex has 300 Pokemon, not including Marshadow and Magearna, which I don't believe are required for Pokedex completion. In fact, I have heard of people, who, if they used the GTS and caught every new Pokemon that they encountered on their adventure, were able to complete the 'dex in just a week! Now, with your Pokedex complete, it's time to move on to the next step.
Step 2: Choosing Which Pokemon to Hunt For:
     Now that you have the Shiny Charm, it is important to decide which Pokemon you wish to hunt for. Please note that different Pokemon may require different methods of Shiny Hunting. For instance, a Legendary Pokemon, depending on the species, can only be acquired through Soft Resetting. Also, some Pokemon are Shiny Locked, which means you are simply unable to get them in Shiny form without hacking. These include the Ultra Beasts and Magearna (I Think). Also, some methods are more efficient than others. 
Step 3: Deciding Which Method to Use:
There are three main Shiny Hunting methods that are used in Gen. 7. These are S.O.S. Chaining, Soft Resetting, and Masuda Breeding. Let's take a closer look at what these are, and how to use them.
 Method 1: S.O.S. Chaining:
Chance of encountering Shiny w/o Shiny Charm: Min. 1/4096 (at 0 allies called) Max. 1/1024 (at 70+ allies called).
Chance of encountering Shiny with Shiny Charm: Min. 1/1365 (at 0 allies called) Max. 1/683 (at 70+ allies called).
NOTE: All calculations were made with this website's Shiny Counter.
This might be the weirdest way to hunt for a shiny, but it's certainly useful and effective. So, you know how wild Pokémon can now call for help at the end of a turn? Well, they can call up shinies, too! It's simple: False Swipe a Pokémon to 1 HP, use an Adrenaline Orb, and knock out the Pokémon that are called until you get a shiny. Best of all, your chance of getting a shiny increases the longer your streak is, with a max of 1/683, which is very high. However, you MUST ONLY knock out the Pokemon that were called for help. Otherwise, your streak will be reset, and your chances reset back to their minimum. If you encounter a shiny, first Paralyze the shiny so it can't call for help, then knock out the non-shiny that you've been farming, then catch your shiny. DO NOT use moves that hit multiple targets like Earthquake to knock out the non-shiny, otherwise you run the risk of accidentally killing the Shiny. 
Method 2: Soft Resetting:
Chance of Encountering a shiny w/o Shiny Charm: 1/4096
Chance of Encountering a Shiny with Shiny Charm: 1/1365
Pretty simple. Encounter Pokémon. If shiny, catch it. If not, do a Soft Reset. This method is best done with Legendaries or other Pokémon that can be only encountered once. Please pay attention as you are doing this, though. There have been times where people have accidentally reset over a shiny, ruining their day. Also, please note that the chances of finding a Shiny with this method are low compared to other methods, so only use it if no other methods are applicable.
Method 3: Masuda Breeding:
Chance of getting a Shiny w/o charm: 1/683
Chance of getting a Shiny with charm: 1/512
Okay, this is probably the method that I understand the least. But from what I've gathered, it's fairly simple. Basically, if you breed two Pokémon of the same evolutionary line, and they are from different games with different languages (not different regions, from different LANGUAGES), your chances of getting a Shiny are increased. For instance, if I breed an English- language Pokémon from my game, with a German language Pokémon from the GTS, the Masuda method will activate. Please note that this does not work with Pokemon from in-game trades with NPC's, even if the Pokémon they give you had a name from a different language. It has to be a Pokémon from a real person.
Step 4: Enjoy your Shiny!
What more do I have to say? Just enjoy your new shiny Pokémon!

Conclusion:
Well, hopefully someone understood this. If you read this far, good for you! I hope you liked it, as it took over a week to write. Have a nice day and good luck shiny hunting!
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
You should like change color of text instead of the WALL of text thats in one color
And one more method, TSV matching, this is the easiest method to breed a legitimate shiny Pokemon, however, it requires Powersaves and CFW. Sad
What is a signature and how do I get one?
@0kamii What do you think?

@RetroTyphlosion

Hey, Retro.

I honestly never knew you did a guide on Shiny hunting. Kind of fitting now that you've found one. If you're asking for my opinion on the guide as a whole, you may want to prepare yourself. I'm an English major in real-life, so this pretty much what I do every day.

For starters, I agreed with Jirachi. You really need to focus on spacing. This site does have an 'insert space' function, I've used it many times. Go back and separate the Steps into individual paragraphs and then break it down further. You can use bold text or bullet points. Either will be effective. Also, make the font a bit bigger and try to reduce any redudant wording. For example, take this sentence:

"This might be the weirdest way to hunt for a shiny, but it's certainly useful and effective."

This isn't a bad sentence, at all. But it can definitely be polished a bit. The two adjectives are obsolete, and your conjuncture is sort of choppy. I recommed and edit more like this:

"While a strange method, it's no less effective."

Shorter sentences are aesthetically pleasing to the eye, and creates a stronger point than run-on sentences. Try to do that with as many of your sentences as possible.

As for the actual content of the guide, I think it is as comprehensive as necessary. You go over all of the popular methods of hunting in the seventh generation, and then break them down to the probability. I'd recommend more examples in future guides, such as Type: Null for soft-resetting. And lastly, try not to use rhetorical sentences to end posts. Things like, "What more do I have to say?" provokes unnecessary inquiry, and more tie-in endings are preferred. Try something like, "Now that you have the Shiny, you can go back to Step 1 for the next hunt." And lastly, a few pictures would be appreciated. I can tell you right now that people usually don't like to read.

Still not completely sure what you wanted me to say, if I was to critique the grammar or the content. Either way, I hope my feedback was helpful. Looking forward to the next guide.
Big Grin

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

@RetroTyphlosion dont forget you can also hunt in pokemon pelago. save your game before you enter the pelago for the first time at this day and look if there new pokemons on the pokebeans island if you got a new one just soft reset till its shiny.^^

-fantasy
(Jul 20, 2017, 10:21 PM)iimlF4nT4Sy Wrote: @RetroTyphlosion dont forget you can also hunt in pokemon pelago. save your game before you enter the pelago for the first time at this day and look if there new pokemons on the pokebeans island if you got a new one just soft reset till its shiny.^^

-fantasy
Oooh, I didn't know that, thank you!

(Jul 20, 2017, 12:02 PM)0kamii Wrote: @RetroTyphlosion

Hey, Retro.

I honestly never knew you did a guide on Shiny hunting. Kind of fitting now that you've found one. If you're asking for my opinion on the guide as a whole, you may want to prepare yourself. I'm an English major in real-life, so this pretty much what I do every day.

For starters, I agreed with Jirachi. You really need to focus on spacing. This site does have an 'insert space' function, I've used it many times. Go back and separate the Steps into individual paragraphs and then break it down further. You can use bold text or bullet points. Either will be effective. Also, make the font a bit bigger and try to reduce any redudant wording. For example, take this sentence:

"This might be the weirdest way to hunt for a shiny, but it's certainly useful and effective."

This isn't a bad sentence, at all. But it can definitely be polished a bit. The two adjectives are obsolete, and your conjuncture is sort of choppy. I recommed and edit more like this:

"While a strange method, it's no less effective."

Shorter sentences are aesthetically pleasing to the eye, and creates a stronger point than run-on sentences. Try to do that with as many of your sentences as possible.

As for the actual content of the guide, I think it is as comprehensive as necessary. You go over all of the popular methods of hunting in the seventh generation, and then break them down to the probability. I'd recommend more examples in future guides, such as Type: Null for soft-resetting. And lastly, try not to use rhetorical sentences to end posts. Things like, "What more do I have to say?" provokes unnecessary inquiry, and more tie-in endings are preferred. Try something like, "Now that you have the Shiny, you can go back to Step 1 for the next hunt." And lastly, a few pictures would be appreciated. I can tell you right now that people usually don't like to read.

Still not completely sure what you wanted me to say, if I was to critique the grammar or the content. Either way, I hope my feedback was helpful. Looking forward to the next guide.
Big Grin

- 0kamii

@0kamii Thanks, I will remember this for future posts! Big Grin   However, I was asking you about the content, since you're a shiny hunter yourself. So, what do you think about that?