Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Gen 7 Meta Questions
Alright so once the three month wait is over and we can start transferring pokemon through the pokebank won't we be able to use any pokemon or will all pokemon not wild in Alola be banned? Couldn't we just breed our old pokemon in Alola and it'd count as a Alolan pokemon? I'm just curious how all this is going down.
lets say for example Porygon-Z can be used in Gen 7 Competitive because he's found in the alola region, if you transfer one from gen 6 im not sure it that very one can be used since it might not have the pentagon showing it was made in the gen (kinda like how if you transferred a pokemon from BW-B2W2 to XY-ORAS, you couldnt use them because they dont have the varification pentagon),
but ofcourse like you said what you can do is breed that pokemon who already has 6ivs mostlikely and them just train it up to be used in competitive, it will count as an alolan pokemon, but only pokemon found in alola itself can be used in this season of competitive

hopefully i explained it clearly enough :P
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
@ChaseInfinity So that being said, if you were to transfer something like a typhlosion which isnt found in the alolan region, and you breed it, could the off spring be used? or because typhlosion cant be naturally obtained then it can't be used?
@Trompelemonde Assuming you are talking about VGC, it will be only the Pokémon which are in the Alola Pokédex- not the National Pokédex.
@"Elly" 
well you can still use whatever you want in battlespot/rated right?
@Trompelemonde I can't say for sure since my uncle doesn't work at Gamefreak, but I would assume yes.
Let me explain what's going to happen from Smogon Singles, VGC format, and other TCPi-sanctioned events. Hint: You don't have to necessary re breed all your Pokemon, though it depends on the format.

Regarding Smogon Singles, they don't care about whether or not Pokemon are "Kalos-", "Hoenn-", or "Alolan-born" at all. As long as they are "legal", or the combination of moves, abilities, and other past generation events that are possible to obtain in-game. Players usually don't have to re breed their Pokemon here, with the exception of potential new moves/abilities for a old existing Pokemon.

Here's where things get different. With the past 3 years, each format required players to get Pokemon born or found within their generation, in this case from XYORAS (Gen 6), or Sun/Moon (Gen 7). With the latest VGC 17 ruleset, players will need Pokemon exclusively found in the Pokemon Sun / Moon, not any other previous games beforehand. This means now players have to "re-breed" their Pokemon to get Alolan-born versions of them, which honestly shouldn't be to hard considering the fact most of competitive Pokemon will already have high 31 IVs. Will be annoying to get egg moves, but at least players don't have to worry much about IVs.

Pretty certain we can use old gen stuff on the Battle Spot Singles/Doubles ladder just like in XY, though again we have to wait until Pokemon Bank is available. People will likely need to re breed Pokemon for any format which are exclusive to Alolan-born Pokemon (not confusing this with regional variants) like VGC, or ant other TCPi sanctioned event/competition.
I'm really excited for Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge! No Priority is going to be a big deal! Talonflame, you have met your match!

I'm assuming the rest of the guardians with their abilities will also influence the format. Hopefully they're not required on every team to do well, though. I've had enough of seeing the Hoenn legends on every team this current format...