Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Great Coaching Moment
I had an awesome coaching moment the last few days.  My friend Alex (@_SenpaiAlex_ on Twitter) was going into his first ever VGC competition today.  He had asked me for a suggestion for a team for the tournament.  I suggested my current doubles team, with Pachirisu added in.  The team was Mega Blastoise, Talonflame, Politoed, Ludicolo, Scizor, and Pachirisu.  I then shared my strategy with Blastoise and Talonflame (as shared here), and he was excited to try it.  I let him borrow 2/3rds of my team to bring to the tournament.  Then after practicing on Battle Spot as I suggested, he went to the Pokemon XY Alpha Series Premier Event in Connecticut, and got 2nd place!!  He lost in the finals to the ever controversial dark void Smeargle.

He had a blast, and I was so proud of him!  He was disappointed that he didn't win for us, but I immediately had to stop him.  I told him that I could give him all the Pokemon in the world, but it was his skill and decisions in battle that got him to the finals.  

If you can do me a favor, and hit him up on Twitter.  Congratulate him on a job well done.  I've loved being able to help people my whole life, and this was definitely one of those great moments of helping someone in need.
Your friend Alex needs all the encouragement you can get to continue participating considering he got second place. Anyways congrats to Alex for winning with that rain team of yours. Btw do you want it to be anonymous to him (like he doesn't know about this forum).
Thats is awesome leftwingzero! It's always good helping others get into competitive battling and congrats to Alex!
(Dec 28, 2014, 08:40 PM)Black117 Wrote: Your friend Alex needs all the encouragement you can get to continue participating considering he got second place. Anyways congrats to Alex for winning with that rain team of yours. Btw do you want it to be anonymous to him (like he doesn't know about this forum).

It wouldn't be a super big surprise if he got some congratulations. I tweeted it at him earlier today, so in theory all my followers could have randomly gave him a shoutout.
Here's the tweet I'm about to send.

@_SenpaiAlex_ I heard from your Friend that you won 2nd place at your Premier Event. Don't get this discourage and continue playing Pokemon!
(Dec 28, 2014, 08:48 PM)Black117 Wrote: Here's the tweet I'm about to send.

@_SenpaiAlex_ I heard from your Friend that you won 2nd place at your Premier Event. Don't get this discourage and continue playing Pokemon!

I would just say congratulations, nothing about being discouraged.