Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] Mega Spotlight: Mega Swampert!
I was unsure if this would go under competitive discussion, or competitive builds. I assumed this is more of a discussion instead of a build so don't hate me mods ;A;

Hello friends! Since ORAS is coming upon us, I want to focus on some megas that are coming out and tell you how I think they are gonna hold up. In VGC, and singles! With EV spreads, moves, strategy, and even great team members to go with the mega. I wanna start with the starters, so why not start with Swampert?

STATS: 100 HP, 150 ATK, 110 DEF, 95 SPA, 110 SPD, 70 SPE
Ability: Swift Swim (During rain, the Speed stat of Pokémon with this Ability is doubled.)

Let's talk about this ability first off.
With 0 speed investment and in the rain, Mega swampert can outspeed these common mons: (who all have max speed)
Modest Greninja, Jolly Garchomp, Timid Gengar. I only wanted to show these 3 because knowing this, I'm sure you can assume what else this monster outspeeds while in the rain. Once again, this is NO speed nature, and NO investment in speed EVs. This is really important because depending on your team set up, you can really build around mega swampert. physically defensive, specially defensive, speedy, etc.

I for one, will be running this set:
Adamant   -Waterfall
148 HP     -Earthquake
252 ATK   -Ice Punch
108 SPE    - ?

With this set, there isn't much to fear. You have enough speed investment to outspeed max speed Timid nature Mega Manetric, Mega Gengar, Jolteon, and a good bit of scarfers. Not to mention max speed offensive mega sceptile. (Who I think will be common.) Not much to talk about when it comes to the move set. Waterfall for the rain boost and STAB, not to mention flinch chance. EQ for STAB and just for being a good move. Ice punch will OHKO dragon/flying types easily along with mega sceptile if it switches in. The final is really just a filler. rain boosted waterfall will usually out damage something like Stone edge, even if it is super effective. Hammer arm could be put here, but then you lose speed. Substitute is also a good choice here. Rain Dance, Roar, Rest, Protect, Outrage for all I care. All of these are good and can be used.

Mons who work well with Mega Swampert:
Politoed. I don't think I need to explain this one.
Ferrothorn. For those pesky grass users!
Talonflame. Always a great sweeper for late game.
Sap sipper Goodra! I mean, why not?
Swift Swim Kingdra and Kabutops: Because it's always nice to have another mon who just loves the rain.
**Any sticky web user** -If you have room for one, I highly recommend using it. It will ruin any scarfer's chance of outspeeding mega swampert in the rain, making you literally outspeed almost every mon in the game.  

CONCLUSION: Mega Swampert is a literal monster. Nothing really wants to switch in and take a hit from this thing, and nothing has fun against this mon when it has a good team built around it. It'll play well in both VGC and Singles. VGC it may play slightly better due to weather being much easier to manage in there. Keep your rain up, watch out for those threats, and keep your predictions on top. We all loved Mudkip in R/S/E, and we're gonna love it as our starter even more this month.
I hope some of you enjoy this ^^;
wow great analysis! when the game launches submit a build!
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
Thanks Justin! I have one like this for all the new megas, and I'll be doing Sceptile right now. If you'd rather, I can hold off on posting these analysis until the games released. Let me know!
Just thought i'd share a couple of calcs i was doing with mega swampert vs mega sceptile matchup

Regardless of ev spread both can OHKO the other with ice punch or giga drain/leafstorm respectively.
Rain is required to be in play for mega swampert to even have a chance.

As a result speed becomes the key stat in the matchup:

A mega swampert with 152 evs in speed will always move first under rain assuming no trick room or speed modifiers.
A mega swampert with 76 evs in speed will outspeed a modest mega sceptile under rain but will be outsped by a timid mega sceptile.

Interesting facts:

Since mega beedrill shares the same speed stat as mega sceptile but can only 2HKO swampert with x scissor while swampert can score a 1HKO with either waterfall (with or without rain) or earthquake (in either singles or doubles).

The mega scalamence into mega swampert is interesting if you can get mega swamp in prior to a dragon dance set up you will have a 1HKO and outspeed under rain however after dragon dance return will has a 31-81% chance of 1HKO on swampert with the 152 in speed build or a 12-69% chance on the 108 in speed build (both get outsped by mega salamence after the dragon dance).

So far i'm struggling to find anything that can revenge kill a mega swampert under the rain except a already mega evolved alakazam or a trace gardevoir since it will trace your swift swim and both can carry energy ball.

I think the best way to describe mega swampert is to describe him like bruce banner/the hulk without rain he's good but has to play smart in order to not get beaten up, in rain he really becomes the hulk and obliterates near enough anything.

Edit:

What i'm thinking of running:

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Protect/Rain Dance/Superpower

Alternative EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe (bulkier but can be outsped by several pokemon including Mega Sceptile under rain)
(Nov 4, 2014, 05:31 PM)Rogue Wrote: Thanks Justin! I have one like this for all the new megas, and I'll be doing Sceptile right now. If you'd rather, I can hold off on posting these analysis until the games released. Let me know!

might get more comments on launch day. but submit posts whenever you feel like it. =)
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv