Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

How Crucial are Mega Evolutions to Competitive Success?
(Mar 16, 2015, 06:40 PM)iflytoohigh Wrote: Wow, thank you SO much to all of you who have contributed to this discussion so far. All of the points made regarding Megas in general have been quite helpful. It seems as though some people find them to be necessary while others not so much, which is a huge relief, as it solidifies for me that this is a question worth pondering after all.

In addition to carefully considering all of the feedback that I receive here in this thread, I think what I'll need to do next is observe more competitive play and see what sorts of strategies exist utilizing Megas, as well as what that very same strategy may look like without one. I still personally consider myself to be a novice at competitive battling, but maybe my next step in this would be to construct two very similar teams--one with a Mega core and one with a non-Mega core--and see how they differ and compare.

Thank you, again, to all of you that took the time to comment so far! I'm looking forward to seeing what others think about this.

xx

Sounds like a good idea! I think that by constructing two similar teams with the Mega Evolution being the only variable, you'll learn a lot when it comes to competitive battling.

Personally, I'm strongly in favor of having a Mega Evolution on your team. I recommend watching some of CybertronVGC's videos on Youtube if you want to get some useful tips on building a top tier VGC team. In many cases, Mega Evolution provides significant stat boosts to a Pokémon, or gives them a much better ability to utilize. I would start with finding a solid core of three Pokémon that compliment each other well and then fill in the other three spots with Pokémon that cover your weaknesses.