Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Mega Gallade Analysis & Moveset
Mega Gallade Analysis:

[Image: mega_gallade_art.png]

Typing: Fighting/Psychic
Immune: None
Resist: Fighting, Rock
Weak: Ghost, Flying, Fairy

Pretty good typing in all honestly with stab moves that are super effective versus 7/18 types. Your weaknesses while relatively common often end up sharing a typing you can take advantage of with one of your move options. Also your resistances are to another 2 relatively common typing’s so you can get a few opportunities for switch ins out of it.

Ability:
Inner Focus: On the surface it seems a bit substandard for a mega but this ability unlocks perhaps one of the cheekiest and downright dirtiest plays I’m ever come up with that has the potential to make Mega Gallade really OP. Otherwise it’s still a nice bit of protection from RNG.

Stats:

HP: 68
Attack: 165
Defence: 95
Special Attack: 65
Special Defence: 115
Speed: 110

Hp is a not ideal but your defences are solid enough and the attack stat is really nice. Speed unfortunately gives you issues as you don’t outspeed regular alakazam so you can be checked easily by several other pokemon since 110 speed is really not special for megas.  Either way it’s got some nice stats and there’s potential for it to sweep many a team.

Move Pool:

Body slam: Strong good chance to paralyse but no stab and no beneficial coverage hurt this move a lot.

Brick Break: Useful for breaking through screens but not your strongest fighting move so you won’t often want to take this.

Bulk up: Boosts your attack and defence pretty strong for a defensive build since it functions as set up but setup on gallade is a bit weak due to close combat your strongest stab dropping your defence back down.

Close Combat: Strongest fighting type move you have at your disposal  makes you less bulky but as long as you kill the foe that’s a small issue.

Destiny Bond: always an option to get you a ko back as you die.

Double edge: strong normal type move loses out to better moves for the same reasons as body slam + DE has recoil.

Drain punch: ideal fighting move for a tanky build as it does decent damage and sustain you.

Dual Chop: Not terrible damage and give you access to a dragon type move not exactly the best offensive typing though.

Earthquake: Unbelievably good coverage move and hits multiple target for doubles.

Encore: Not sure why you would want to take this on mega gallade but he has it :D

Facade: Possible move you can run to help counter burn still not really worth losing the extra coverage move.

Fire punch: coverage move while inferior to others it’s still an option.

Focus punch: Not really great as its use is severely limited due to needing to avoid being hit but you could make it work I guess with the right support.

Ice punch: One of your best coverage moves but still you have plenty of options to pick from so it really depends on your team.

Knock off: since the buff on foes holding items this move can be devastating but the subsequent power can leave you wanting.

Leaf Blade: strong grass type move with a high crit rate great coverage option giving mega gallade access to an offensive move type rarely seen.

Low Kick: good for heavy target but close combats more reliable damage.

Night slash: dark type coverage option has high crit rate and reasonable base damage although knock off is probably the better option due to removal of foes items.

Poison Jab: Solid answer to many fairy types makes for a good coverage option.

Psycho cut: good stab psychic stab with a high crit rate.

Rock Slide: Rock type coverage, hits both foes in double and can cause flinches all in all nice.

Shadow Sneak: Priority but the damage is so weak so barely worth it.

Stone Edge: another Rock type coverage more damage than rock slide and single target but higher chance to miss does come with a higher crit chance though.

Substitute: Good for avoiding status and some damage not ideal but workable.

Swords Dance: Your offensive set up if you can get it off its insane.

Taunt: Gives you the possibility of being an offensive lead with taunt to stop stuff setting up.

Thunder Punch: Electric type coverage again depends on your team as to what moves to take.

X-Scissor: Bug type coverage again team dependent.

Zen headbutt: stronger than psycho cut but less accurate.

Feint: hits around protect etc.

Skill swap: this is the dirty trick I mentions imagine using this on a huge power poke or a mega kang and swapping inner focus for parental bond this move turn gallade into a v trick to play but potentially insane sweeper. Could also use it on a super luck togekiss on your team and let the crits begin.

Gallades move pool is astoundingly good not short of coverage options in fact your spoilt for choice. Gallades moves will most likely depend on your team as you can tailor the moves to suit your team or threats you want gallade to hit hard such as night slash to hit psychic types hard when they swap in or ice punch for the dragons that are ever present in the pokemon competitive scene.

Builds:

The evil set:
Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash or whatever coverage more you want (see movepool above for full options)
- Skill Swap

Skill swap away a strong ability and away you go takes a lot of skill to use right but if it remains unsuspected it’s going to catch people out and compleately turn the tides on battle just be careful it doesn’t go through protect but steal a mega mawilles huge power really will make the trainer cry because you just made his mega useless. Other than that it’s pretty much a run of the mill set with your stabs and coverage move of your choosing. In double you can take your allied togekiss’s superluck and run a crit build bit risky though unless you sacrifice coverage for protect.

Blade Dancer:
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Leaf Blade or preferred coverage option (see movepool above for full options)
- Swords Dance

Swords dance up and enjoy the crazy damage you can put out after having set up trick is getting the set up but if you know there switching it shouldn’t be too hard to do otherwise run your stabs and preferred coverage move. Not ideal in doubles as set up is very hard to do.

Bulky:
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Knock off or preferred coverage move (see movepool above for full options)
- Bulk Up

TBH this build could be very scary once it gets going the attack gets boosted so you can start at a lower value and with your defence going up and drain punch to sustain you it’s a build to be feared just depends if you can get it set up especially in doubles where you could get doubled up on and taken out before you get set up. Also special attacker will still cut you into ribbons. As usual on the other 2 move slots protect if you’re scared in doubles.

Prankster:
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Protect or preferred coverage option.
- Taunt/Encore

You can use this set to play with your foe, a bit better in doubles where you can force pranksters to fight you encore protects or even stop protects with taunt. Other than that you threaten to hit hard and cause some serious pain. But yea same as before with the other builds your preferred offensive moves ideally your stabs but on this build you may want to swap one out for a coverage move.

Maximum coverage:
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off (preferred coverage option)
- Ice Punch/protect

Pretty simple run four offensive moves for maximum coverage it’s a pretty simple build so I left it to last you can allocate the build to be tankier at the expense of attack or speed. Not much here to talk about other than covering as much as you can to suit your team’s needs.

Team Options:
A sticky web user or tailwind user would work really well to give the speed advantage to mega gallade allowing it to outspeed near enough everything speed boost baton passers also work but are less reliable. Other than that Mega gallade goes with a lot due to its insane movepool with coverage options some megas can only dream of having *cough* Pidgeot *cough*. Either way it’s a great mega for most teams but can be outsped so given a little speed it becomes truly powerful.

Overall:
Mega Gallade has really surprised me not only does he look cool but he has an insane move pool and with access to several set ups or moves that allow for catching out the foe. In addition to this you can’t be flinched by fake outs etc which can help a lot especially for mega loppuny so she can’t just fake out you without being hit SE back in return. I can see mega mellade getting a lot of use maybe not as much as some of the clear frontrunners such as mega salamence but mega gallade’s no slouch and will pull his weight for sure on a team. Skill swap is my favourite build (although it’s very tricky to use) can’t wait to see how well that could work along with the bulk up build being a strong build if you get set up. Just be careful of those psychic, fairy and flying types especially talonflame since the gale wings priority is a real danger to you. Otherwise customise your set to suit your team and hopefully people will all have slightly different gallades. :D

Again calculations available on request, feel free to comment discuss etc
Also if you like the detail I try to give then you might like my other analysis threads:  Mega Pidgeot Analysis, Mega Altaria Analysis, Mega Lopunny Analysis.
I'm taking requests for more analysis if you want a certain pokemon done also just please bear in mind i can't actually test any ORAS stuff till the 28th due to EU.
Such a strong pokemon, must be that cape :D
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
double cape op
I still wish it got Stance Change as its ability.
Stance change would be weird superluck would has been a nice one to see or maybe even guts so burning gallade is useless. At the moment skill swap can be cool to try and improve your limited ability atm.
Not sure if I should add a mega gallade or mega gardevoir
depends if you want physical or special oreo imo both are equally good although gardevoirs better in doubles than gallade due to pixilate hypervoice
(Nov 18, 2014, 01:41 AM)evilsabre Wrote: depends if you want physical or special oreo imo both are equally good although gardevoirs better in doubles than gallade due to pixilate hypervoice

Flinches are so common in VGC/Doubles that it would give MeGallade a lot of worth using over MegaVoir, but that doesnt mean you cant use her, of course.
Most cases though flinches are RNG related or from fake out, so you only have a 30% chance of your ability being useful if they use rockslide and who in their right mind is going to try fake outing gallade....

The abilities not bad but pixilate hyper voice is much better imo since hitting both foes in doubles with stab fairy is really strong.
Great analysis evilsabre! I really want to try out the evil and bulky sets they look like lots of fun. Like others I was kinda let down by Mega Gallade's  ability, but it seems like with a little work it's not that bad.