Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Moderators & View Discussion
Hey

I want to have a general discussion about a couple of things. I will now rant about what I want to talk about.

I feel that moderators get tonnes of views and reputation for posting but regular people like me will barely get noticed. I created a Rate My Team thread, I put lots of my time into it and I did everything to regulation, I felt my content was good, it was formal and I went into detail and I feel like it deserves more recognition.
The entire reason for this website is for the community to come together and help each other and give each other our opinions. However I got like 36 views and 0 comments, I posted my thread whilst justin was streaming so there were definetely people online. I feel like the moderators should do more to help out the smaller people get noticed maybe by giving people reputation for a good post so people are more likely to open and comment.
Maybe do a post of the day feature. I just feel like it is unfair and that something has to change. Thank you for reading this, I appreciate you taking your time in clicking this and feel free to share your opinion.

Bright_Shadow21
Other becoming a trusted user does rep do anything
(Aug 25, 2015, 05:41 PM)naitre Wrote: The forum in general does not get much traffic outside of the trading forum. While Justin is streaming, most people are focused on the stream instead of the forums, and most of his viewers are not active on the forums. There is a bit of a divide in the community, where the most frequent forum posters are not the same as the most frequent replay chatters or main channel chatters.

Your post is relatively new. As your post ages, it will get more views. There is currently a lull in the community due to a number of factors, including but not limited to school starting up again, Justin's absence, worlds coming to a close, burnout, and time zone differences. Many players here are also inexperienced and looking to learn the ropes, so they will often read and not participate in discussion, which is completely understandable. If you look through the competitive discussion over the past few months, you'll see that the majority of the discussion is driven by the same handful of members.

The two most active forum mods here are Rogue and myself. We do what we can for the community and try to promote different threads and ideas until we're blue in the face, but we're ultimately preaching to the choir that is the small circle of dedicated forum users. Our powers are also limited.

A member's reputation does not influence the number of responses that they get, and, as a forum mod, I can tell you that my opinion does not sway that of the users.

Thank you for taking your time to read my post and respond. The entire reason for this thread is to have a discussion and get feed back from people like yourself and other like minded people. I feel like Justin created this website for people to share their thoughts and opinions as well as for people to learn. I completely understand what you are saying and I understand that many people will read but not comment on a thread. I will help with you and the community by posting more threads and other general discussions.
(Aug 25, 2015, 05:04 PM)Bright_Shadow21 Wrote: The entire reason for this website is for the community to come together and help each other and give each other our opinions. However I got like 36 views and 0 comments.

May I give you some insight?

I saw your thread, skimmed through it, but I do not understand a word on it. Didn't reply to it. Why? Not because I am rude, but because I really suck at that, to the point of not understanding it. I am a complete amateur at VGC, Smogon and anything that has to do with battling other people, that been said, I don't even know what "Core" means (It is part of the title on your other thread), but I've seen in many times in different threads as well.

I am sure that you don't want the opinion of someone (me) that knows nothing about VGC Teams.  :D

If you were to post a thread about Breeding, I would probably be helping to the conversation. I love breeding Pokes.  :P

You also talked about reputation, let me comment on that too.

I run a thread were I give Pokemon for free, I have given away somewhere between 150-200 Pokemon and some people request it through PMs so it doesn't show on the main thread, and people don't give me +1 Rep, I usually get reputation every 5 people that request my pokemon, that is, if I get lucky. I do not complain about it because I understand that most people requesting from me are new members and don't understand the system yet. I don't mind. Rep is useless really. That is how I got my signature though!

For example, to make things worse, I've been running my thread for almost a month and given away so many free Pokemon (150-200 Pokes) that I bred with hardwork, well, I didn't even make it to the news bulletin thread (belongs to another member); Some other member with a Free BR Shiny thread made it to the news bulletin thread, and that Free BR Shiny thread didn't even had 24 hrs since its creation. I didn't mind, why because I know that the member running the new bulletin thread is probably super busy and didn't come across my thread, and because a Free BR Shiny will be much more popular than bred Lvl. 1 Pokemon.

So, I am not complaining, not ranting, but rather showing you that you shouldn't take it so seriously.  :D
People are not at my disposal if I write a thread, some people work, some people go to school and some other do both and are too tired to do stuff on the interwebz. I have to understand them too.

Like Naitre said, give it time. My main thread has almost 1700 views and only 90 people have commented on it, and 1/2 of the responses are mine, so do the math. It does take sometime for people to notice you, specially if you are not giving away free stuff.
New to the Forum? Visit a 5IV Pokemon Giveaway here.

I am Breeder. Need help? Ask away!.

(Aug 25, 2015, 06:14 PM)Luisito Wrote: You also talked about reputation, let me comment on that too.

I run a thread were I give Pokemon for free, I have given away somewhere between 150-200 Pokemon and some people request it through PMs so it doesn't show on the main thread, and people don't give me +1 Rep, I usually get reputation every 5 people that request my pokemon, that is, if I get lucky. I do not complain about it because I understand that most people requesting from me are new members and don't understand the system yet. I don't mind. Rep is useless really. That is how I got my signature though!

With me ( and this is probably my fault Kappa ) i usuallly give repuation like i give a thumbs up on Youtube, i'll love the video or content that im reading/watching but ill just forget to give someone rep, not because the content is terrible its just because thats just who i am and how alot of other people are,

like Luisito and Naitre said after awhile more and more people will come back after nintendo releases the next game...
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
(Aug 25, 2015, 06:14 PM)Luisito Wrote:
(Aug 25, 2015, 05:04 PM)Bright_Shadow21 Wrote: The entire reason for this website is for the community to come together and help each other and give each other our opinions. However I got like 36 views and 0 comments.

May I give you some insight?

I saw your thread, skimmed through it, but I do not understand a word on it. Didn't reply to it. Why? Not because I am rude, but because I really suck at that, to the point of not understanding it. I am a complete amateur at VGC, Smogon and anything that has to do with battling other people, that been said, I don't even know what "Core" means (It is part of the title on your other thread), but I've seen in many times in different threads as well.

I am sure that you don't want the opinion of someone (me) that knows nothing about VGC Teams.  :D

If you were to post a thread about Breeding, I would probably be helping to the conversation. I love breeding Pokes.  :P

You also talked about reputation, let me comment on that too.

For example, to make things worse, I've been running my thread for almost a month and given away so many free Pokemon (150-200 Pokes) that I bred with hardwork, well, I didn't even make it to the news bulletin thread (belongs to another member); Some other member with a Free BR Shiny thread made it to the news bulletin thread, and that Free BR Shiny thread didn't even had 24 hrs since its creation. I didn't mind, why because I know that the member running the new bulletin thread is probably super busy and didn't come across my thread, and because a Free BR Shiny will be much more popular than bred Lvl. 1 Pokemon.

So, I am not complaining, not ranting, but rather showing you that you shouldn't take it so seriously.  :D
People are not at my disposal if I write a thread, some people work, some people go to school and some other do both and are too tired to do stuff on the interwebz. I have to understand them too.

Like Naitre said, give it time. My main thread has almost 1700 views and only 90 people have commented on it, and 1/2 of the responses are mine, so do the math. It does take sometime for people to notice you, specially if you are not giving away free stuff.

Thank you for comment, I really do appreciate it and I understand everything you have brought up and mentioned. I guess, I will just have to wait for the comments to come in. My stats say I am new here but I am a massive lurker and I do exactly what I discussed, I look at peoples posts but do not comment myself (very hypocritical i know) I will just get myself noticed within this community by posting discussion threads and being as helpful as I possibly can within my field which is battles and breeding. I will soon be a trusted member of this community.
(Aug 25, 2015, 06:35 PM)Animekid7 Wrote: like Luisito and Naitre said after awhile more and more people will come back after nintendo releases the next game...

All we need is that sweet, sweet Mystery Dungeon.  kappa
(Aug 25, 2015, 06:35 PM)Animekid7 Wrote:
(Aug 25, 2015, 06:14 PM)Luisito Wrote: You also talked about reputation, let me comment on that too.

With me ( and this is probably my fault Kappa ) i usuallly give repuation like i give a thumbs up on Youtube, i'll love the video or content that im reading/watching but ill just forget to give someone rep, not because the content is terrible its just because thats just who i am and how alot of other people are,

like Luisito and Naitre said after awhile more and more people will come back after nintendo releases the next game...

I understand what you mean, I guess I will just have to wait to get noticed and supply good content so that I can get a good reputation and become a valued member of this community.
(Aug 25, 2015, 06:36 PM)Bright_Shadow21 Wrote: I will just get myself noticed within this community by posting discussion threads and being as helpful as I possibly can within my field which is battles and breeding. I will soon be a trusted member of this community.

There ya go! :D
When people get to know you & recognize you, they will even reply to threads that they don't care about, but that you have written.
New to the Forum? Visit a 5IV Pokemon Giveaway here.

I am Breeder. Need help? Ask away!.

I'm really sorry that you're upset about this. Let me try my best to help here.
I can't help but feel a little targeted here, thinking you're talking about me here. I'm not really sure what to say if you are, it's not like I force people to comment on myself, you know? None of the mods here are trying to seem more important than anyone. All I have is a cool emblem, really. Otherwise I'm just another human like you who plays Pokemon. Just kinda stings to read this and have myself feel like some sort of enemy to you.

That aside, this may just be in my head.

Moving on to your recent post, on your team. I looked at it and I must say it's very nice. Not only is it a good team, but you did a great job on the write up. Let me try and explain on maybe why it didn't get any feedback? None of these are bad things either, so please don't take this the wrong way.

1. The team is simple. PLEASE understand that this isn't a bad thing. Standard teams are very good, and are very consistent. The best teams are simple or standard. However, because of that; It lowers the chances of people leaving feedback. This can mean 2 things. One being: "I've already seen teams like this before, so I'll move on." or two: "This team doesn't really have any holes in it, so I have no advice to give" both ending with the viewer not commenting.

2. A lot of our members are young, and in school now. So not everyone is briefing the site.

3. As Luisito stated, not everyone is a battler. However this doesn't mean they won't view it. I don't breed but even I look around the breeding forum, just to see whats up.

4. Everyone is kind of in a foul mood with Pokemon lately. A lot of people are bored from ORAS and XY since they were rather similar. and a lot of members have a bad taste in their mouth because of worlds. So a lot of members just kinda lurk and browse, and you used to.

5. As already stated, you're newer to these people because you lurked. Honestly all the comments I get are from friends and people I talk to frequently on this site. Make some friends, everyone here would be happy to talk to you; I'm sure of it.

Basically, please don't take it to heart. With people being in school, people becoming bored of Pokemon, etc etc it can be tough to get what you want.
I understand completely. You worked really hard on your team, and your write up; and you're bummed no one really has anything to say. But I'm letting you know right now: It's a very strong and good team. You have ways to hit all top 5 megas super effectively, ontop of being able to deal with the top 10 threats. It's solid and it really doesn't have any huge holes in it.

and finally, I don't really know how us mods can really help. As I said, not everyone is a battler and we can't force people to comment. Even if we did make a "post of the day" that wouldn't guarantee people would comment. Not to mention the site isn't used daily by most users excluding us mods and a few other members.

I don't really know how to help you, honestly. The best I can do is show it around to friends but I can't make anyone comment, you know?
I'm still very sorry either way, I hate to see people down, ya'know?
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.