Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Moderators & View Discussion
(Aug 25, 2015, 05:04 PM)Bright_Shadow21 Wrote: Hey

I want to have a general discussion about a couple of things. I will now rant about what I want to talk about.

I feel that moderators get tonnes of views and reputation for posting but regular people like me will barely get noticed. I created a Rate My Team thread, I put lots of my time into it and I did everything to regulation, I felt my content was good, it was formal and I went into detail and I feel like it deserves more recognition.
The entire reason for this website is for the community to come together and help each other and give each other our opinions. However I got like 36 views and 0 comments, I posted my thread whilst justin was streaming so there were definetely people online. I feel like the moderators should do more to help out the smaller people get noticed maybe by giving people reputation for a good post so people are more likely to open and comment.
Maybe do a post of the day feature. I just feel like it is unfair and that something has to change. Thank you for reading this, I appreciate you taking your time in clicking this and feel free to share your opinion.

Bright_Shadow21

You posted this thread approximately an hour or less ago from your RMT and you did this while Justin was streaming. Friend, if Justin is streaming, obviously his audience is going to be watching the stream and not be browsing the forums. Furthermore, to properly analyze a team isn't something that can be done instantaneously. The moderators (and a few others) posts get noticed and commented on because they are people who contribute more to the community and have earned their reputation (not that number you see, but actual reputation by interacting with people in the community). They worked for their place and it isn't right to lash out on them for attracting a larger crowd, that's just how life is. You use the phrase "regular people". You do know that in reality, only the people who try to stand out will get noticed right? That people don't pay attention to regular people? It's just life, friend. That little number beside the reputation slot doesn't mean anything at all. Even people with 100+ rep sometimes get less responses than one with 50 or less. Furthermore, reputation is something you work for so saying that the mods should help you to get noticed just comes off as you being downright lazy. If you really wanted to get your thread viewed, you had the option of going into the stream and waiting till the chat died down and asking people to come view what you have posted. This community is very much for people to come together, share ideas and to help each other grow, but no one here is a slave to the other. You can't be putting in less than other people are and expecting the same treatment.

I'm going to be honest here. Your post met the criteria that was set and the amount of work you put into editing it to make it presentable can be seen so I commend you for that. The thing is, not everyone in the community is as knowledgeable on the VGC meta as the other, so people who view your post may not be able to provide you with the commentary you're looking for. As for the top tier VGC players, consider that they may have busy schedules and aren't on the forums 24/7 so they can't respond to your post at a heartbeat. If your team isn't one that presents a gimmick that hasn't been used before and works then it pretty much gets labelled as standard, and lets be honest, what can we say about a team that is standard. Absolutely nothing. Trust me on this, not because a mod gives your post high rep means that people are suddenly going to come flocking in. You need to sell what your presenting.

But lets hear from you. What change are you proposing exactly?
[Insert signature here]
(Aug 25, 2015, 09:54 PM)Rogue Wrote: I'm really sorry that you're upset about this. Let me try my best to help here.
I can't help but feel a little targeted here, thinking you're talking about me here. I'm not really sure what to say if you are, it's not like I force people to comment on myself, you know? None of the mods here are trying to seem more important than anyone. All I have is a cool emblem, really. Otherwise I'm just another human like you who plays Pokemon. Just kinda stings to read this and have myself feel like some sort of enemy to you.

That aside, this may just be in my head.

Moving on to your recent post, on your team. I looked at it and I must say it's very nice. Not only is it a good team, but you did a great job on the write up. Let me try and explain on maybe why it didn't get any feedback? None of these are bad things either, so please don't take this the wrong way.

1. The team is simple. PLEASE understand that this isn't a bad thing. Standard teams are very good, and are very consistent. The best teams are simple or standard. However, because of that; It lowers the chances of people leaving feedback. This can mean 2 things. One being: "I've already seen teams like this before, so I'll move on." or two: "This team doesn't really have any holes in it, so I have no advice to give" both ending with the viewer not commenting.

2. A lot of our members are young, and in school now. So not everyone is briefing the site.

3. As Luisito stated, not everyone is a battler. However this doesn't mean they won't view it. I don't breed but even I look around the breeding forum, just to see whats up.

4. Everyone is kind of in a foul mood with Pokemon lately. A lot of people are bored from ORAS and XY since they were rather similar. and a lot of members have a bad taste in their mouth because of worlds. So a lot of members just kinda lurk and browse, and you used to.

5. As already stated, you're newer to these people because you lurked. Honestly all the comments I get are from friends and people I talk to frequently on this site. Make some friends, everyone here would be happy to talk to you; I'm sure of it.

Basically, please don't take it to heart. With people being in school, people becoming bored of Pokemon, etc etc it can be tough to get what you want.
I understand completely. You worked really hard on your team, and your write up; and you're bummed no one really has anything to say. But I'm letting you know right now: It's a very strong and good team. You have ways to hit all top 5 megas super effectively, ontop of being able to deal with the top 10 threats. It's solid and it really doesn't have any huge holes in it.

and finally, I don't really know how us mods can really help. As I said, not everyone is a battler and we can't force people to comment. Even if we did make a "post of the day" that wouldn't guarantee people would comment. Not to mention the site isn't used daily by most users excluding us mods and a few other members.

I don't really know how to help you, honestly. The best I can do is show it around to friends but I can't make anyone comment, you know?
I'm still very sorry either way, I hate to see people down, ya'know?

Thank you for commenting and I understand everything you have stated and I couldnt agree more. I wrote this thread so we could have a healthy discussion, it wasnt meant to target anyone out, I feel like people take offence if they want offence to be taken, I was speaking freely and I apologise if you felt singled out as you are a mod, and I know there isnt any benefits except a cool little symbol and that you are a trusted member of the community, if you felt attacked that is the complete opposite of what I wanted, like you said to me "dont take things to heart". Justin created this website so people can speak there mind and have a general discussion about these sort of conversations. I was a little bummed about my post not getting comments, but as I am writing this current message I have replies on my RMT post. I should of given it more time before posting this thread.
I understand that mods need to keep the forums active and they are here to help and I have nothing wrong with that what-so-ever, I just think it is hard for those that arent known to the community to get exposure and yes I understand that the crowd will inevitably arrive if my name becomes more well known and I post often, I am not naive, I realise that. I just want to thank you for your comment and I enjoy a good, healthy debate. Feel free to comment again.
Bright_Shadow21
(Aug 25, 2015, 11:37 PM)Marcusube Wrote:
(Aug 25, 2015, 05:04 PM)Bright_Shadow21 Wrote: Hey

I want to have a general discussion about a couple of things. I will now rant about what I want to talk about.

I feel that moderators get tonnes of views and reputation for posting but regular people like me will barely get noticed. I created a Rate My Team thread, I put lots of my time into it and I did everything to regulation, I felt my content was good, it was formal and I went into detail and I feel like it deserves more recognition.
The entire reason for this website is for the community to come together and help each other and give each other our opinions. However I got like 36 views and 0 comments, I posted my thread whilst justin was streaming so there were definetely people online. I feel like the moderators should do more to help out the smaller people get noticed maybe by giving people reputation for a good post so people are more likely to open and comment.
Maybe do a post of the day feature. I just feel like it is unfair and that something has to change. Thank you for reading this, I appreciate you taking your time in clicking this and feel free to share your opinion.

Bright_Shadow21

You posted this thread approximately an hour or less ago from your RMT and you did this while Justin was streaming. Friend, if Justin is streaming, obviously his audience is going to be watching the stream and not be browsing the forums. Furthermore, to properly analyze a team isn't something that can be done instantaneously. The moderators (and a few others) posts get noticed and commented on because they are people who contribute more to the community and have earned their reputation (not that number you see, but actual reputation by interacting with people in the community). They worked for their place and it isn't right to lash out on them for attracting a larger crowd, that's just how life is. You use the phrase "regular people". You do know that in reality, only the people who try to stand out will get noticed right? That people don't pay attention to regular people? It's just life, friend. That little number beside the reputation slot doesn't mean anything at all. Even people with 100+ rep sometimes get less responses than one with 50 or less. Furthermore, reputation is something you work for so saying that the mods should help you to get noticed just comes off as you being downright lazy. If you really wanted to get your thread viewed, you had the option of going into the stream and waiting till the chat died down and asking people to come view what you have posted. This community is very much for people to come together, share ideas and to help each other grow, but no one here is a slave to the other. You can't be putting in less than other people are and expecting the same treatment.

I'm going to be honest here. Your post met the criteria that was set and the amount of work you put into editing it to make it presentable can be seen so I commend you for that. The thing is, not everyone in the community is as knowledgeable on the VGC meta as the other, so people who view your post may not be able to provide you with the commentary you're looking for. As for the top tier VGC players, consider that they may have busy schedules and aren't on the forums 24/7 so they can't respond to your post at a heartbeat. If your team isn't one that presents a gimmick that hasn't been used before and works then it pretty much gets labelled as standard, and lets be honest, what can we say about a team that is standard. Absolutely nothing. Trust me on this, not because a mod gives your post high rep means that people are suddenly going to come flocking in. You need to sell what your presenting.

But lets hear from you. What change are you proposing exactly?

I appreciate your comment and I understand everything you have said but I have a few issues with what you have said. As I am posting this current reply my RMT thread has comments and feedback on it, I was a little bummed at the time that the views to comments werent what I expected, maybe I did place that bar too high.
I was not targeting anyone out and I definetely didnt lash out, I created a friendly, healthy post which people could share their views and have a discussion. This post is exactly that.
I understand that more you post the more you will get noticed and seen and you will become a valued member of this community, but I thought it was quite rude to call someone "downright lazy" for saying mods should give out reputation. I feel like this is a great idea, its like receiving a sweet after doing something good. Reputation is just like receiving a "LIKE" on facebook, it is pointless but it makes you feel good and it makes you want to post more, which then will make you become more known within the community.
I dont expect every view to comment, I am not naive. Like I stated, people have now commented on my RMT and they have given me there feedback and responses and I really do appreciate it. My team was standard but suggestions were still made, they point of the forum is to learn more and share each others view. For example someone suggested running tailwind on my Hydreigon, I understand why they have said and I have taken their view into account.

Thank you for commenting and feel free to add more to this discussion.
Bright_Shadow21
naitre and I will be working together to fix this however.
I appreciate you letting me know you weren't trying to target anyone, and I appreciate you posting this in general.
We have a whole lot of lurkers on the forums, and I don't want this. I want everyone to post and interact with the members. More people that post equal more friends for our community. Thanks to your suggestion, naitre and I think this could help those lurkers feel more confident to step out and post.

While we can't do a daily post due to working full time + there not always being a post to show around, we can DEFINITELY do weekly posts catch people up on cool RMTS, joke threads, and discussions that members might have missed throughout the week.

Thank you again for being so mature, kind, and bringing this up. If you ever have any more problems, please feel free to shoot one of us a PM.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
(Aug 26, 2015, 09:01 AM)Rogue Wrote: While we can't do a daily post due to working full time + there not always being a post to show around, we can DEFINITELY do weekly posts catch people up on cool RMTS, joke threads, and discussions that members might have missed throughout the week.

I mean im trying to that with the Somewhat-Weekly new thread, maybe i can turn it into an Always-Weekly New thread, but i would needs yalls help and support in making these, as much fun as it is to make it, making the new article alone is kinda boring i was happy when someone finall PM me an article i used for the recent thread, also i think its a good idea for me to do RMT, joke threads, and discussions as rogue said, but the thing with something like post something about the Trading Section (if yall had wanted to do that, i dont know you may have not said anything about it) is that if the post is weekly most trading threads will be irrelevent, like rogue said Daily Threads would kind of be hectic so sticking to a weekly one is great, if anyone would like to help please PM me Smile
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
(Aug 26, 2015, 12:47 PM)Animekid7 Wrote: I mean im trying to that with the Somewhat-Weekly new thread, maybe i can turn it into an Always-Weekly New thread.

What about a Randomly-Weekly thread, you can add news today, tomorrow, in 4 days, then in 8 days, then on the 9th day.
Basically whenever you have time and whenever you get new info to add.

[Image: giphy.gif]
New to the Forum? Visit a 5IV Pokemon Giveaway here.

I am Breeder. Need help? Ask away!.

(Aug 26, 2015, 12:56 PM)Luisito Wrote:
(Aug 26, 2015, 12:47 PM)Animekid7 Wrote: I mean im trying to that with the Somewhat-Weekly new thread, maybe i can turn it into an Always-Weekly New thread.

What about a Randomly-Weekly thread, you can add news today, tomorrow, in 4 days, then in 8 days, then on the 9th day.
Basically whenever you have time and whenever you get new info to add.

If i could get peoples help what i could do is, Make a main thread with all the regular stuff i do, and in the forum news section ill add a place where anything happening that week can go besides stuff like already up there, but i would needs yalls help to post something such as a little preview about that thread in the comments below the news thread and when i have time, inside that section ill make a like (when i figure out how, Naitre know how to do it Wink) that when clicked goes directly to the post you made so people can read that and then go to the actuall thread for more information, but i dont wanna be the one who does this alone if you see a new thread that hasnt been talked about on the news thead (and you have the time), write a short summary Smile. but this is just an idea if yall want that then ill go throught with it and supply more information on it later
(Aug 26, 2015, 01:04 PM)Animekid7 Wrote: If i could get peoples help what i could do is, Make a main thread with all the regular stuff i do, and in the forum news section ill add a place where anything happening that week can go besides stuff like already up there, but i would needs yalls help to post something such as a little preview about that thread in the comments below the news thread and when i have time, inside that section ill make a like (when i figure out how, Naitre know how to do it Wink) that when clicked goes directly to the post you made so people can read that and then go to the actuall thread for more information, but i dont wanna be the one who does this alone if you see a new thread that hasnt been talked about on the news thead (and you have the time), write a short summary Smile. but this is just an idea if yall want that then ill go throught with it and supply more information on it later

I can help. I can't promise miracles and wonders but I can give it a try if you want me to.  :D

Here is a tutorial:

Go to the desired thread and find the post that you want to read, for example:

[Image: 124fv3r.png]

Now, let's find the post #, for example: (Hint: look over the red circles!)

[Image: ne9s79.png]

Then, you right click on the post # to display the menu, for example:

[Image: 20z2ww5.png]

Then click on "Copy Link", for example:

[Image: 16izl6q.png]

Lastly, you put that link as a hyperlink, for example:

Click here.
And bam! Naitre's secret is out!

Terms of Service

As a matter of full disclosure the tutorial above only works on OS X (Macs). If you are using Windows and the system is similar, then you are a lucky kid.

Thanks Luisito :D
(Aug 26, 2015, 08:55 PM)naitre Wrote: Luisito is now banned for revealing my secrets.

She actually whisks the egg whites counter-clockwise for those delicious cookies!
And Bam! Naitre's secret cookie recipe is out!

Not even a mod can stop me!