Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] PokeGen Ruling
Eh, I've heard different stories about this. Some people say if you can use them in Battle Spot, they'll be fine to use at VGC tournaments as well.

I'd prefer not to take any chances and only bring mons I've bred myself.
(Jan 10, 2015, 03:32 PM)Muphry Wrote: Eh, I've heard different stories about this. Some people say if you can use them in Battle Spot, they'll be fine to use at VGC tournaments as well.

I'd prefer not to take any chances and only bring mons I've bred myself.

Yeah that's what I've heard...
(Jan 10, 2015, 10:17 AM)naitre Wrote: You can't use Pokegenned pokemon in VGC format because they cannot be Kalos bred. Pokegenned Pokemon are created in a program and uploaded to a 5th gen format, so they appear to come from the Unova region or earlier. Some pokemon can have their hex values altered in Pokegen to pass as Kalos bred, but it's a very difficult process and usually doesn't work out. Not all Pokegenned pokemon are clones. You can create a pokemon in Pokegen from scratch with a unique PID that makes them 100% unique. That being said, there used to be a service called Pokecheck.org that would let you know if a pokemon was cloned by running its PID and other data against other Pokemon in the system, but it's currently out of service. I really don't see this being checked at tournaments. I have no idea how they would even populate a fool-proof database of Pokemon to run data against.

In the event that you were talking about PowerSaves and not Pokegen, yes. There are sometimes ways to tell if a Pokemon was altered using Powersaves, and that's related to not only a pokemon's PID, but the OT/TID/SID too, but those are usually affected when someone makes a Pokemon shiny with PowerSaves.

There's also a difference between legit, legal, and illegal. Pokegenned Pokemon can pass as legal, meaning they are comparable to pokemon obtainable in the game, but they will never be considered legit because they simply were not obtained in-game. You can't tell the difference between a legit and legal pokemon by eye. Not in battle, not from the summary screen.

Can people tell a Pokegenned pokemon from a legit one? No, not unless it has an obvious poor hack (like magikarp learning Judgment), but odds are, it won't pass through Pokebank anyway. Bad hacks can get through though.

As a general rule of thumb, if it can be used in ranked Battlespot (or put on the GTS), it will most likely be able to be used in a tournament.

Just a headsup, you CAN gen pokes to have the blue pentagon, btu it takes a lot of messing around with hex values and isnt really worth the effort, sicne you can gen them then rebreeed instead.
(Jan 10, 2015, 04:41 PM)naitre Wrote:
(Jan 10, 2015, 04:07 PM)ImAWizrd Wrote:
(Jan 10, 2015, 10:17 AM)naitre Wrote: You can't use Pokegenned pokemon in VGC format because they cannot be Kalos bred. Pokegenned Pokemon are created in a program and uploaded to a 5th gen format, so they appear to come from the Unova region or earlier. Some pokemon can have their hex values altered in Pokegen to pass as Kalos bred, but it's a very difficult process and usually doesn't work out. Not all Pokegenned pokemon are clones. You can create a pokemon in Pokegen from scratch with a unique PID that makes them 100% unique. That being said, there used to be a service called Pokecheck.org that would let you know if a pokemon was cloned by running its PID and other data against other Pokemon in the system, but it's currently out of service. I really don't see this being checked at tournaments. I have no idea how they would even populate a fool-proof database of Pokemon to run data against.

In the event that you were talking about PowerSaves and not Pokegen, yes. There are sometimes ways to tell if a Pokemon was altered using Powersaves, and that's related to not only a pokemon's PID, but the OT/TID/SID too, but those are usually affected when someone makes a Pokemon shiny with PowerSaves.

There's also a difference between legit, legal, and illegal. Pokegenned Pokemon can pass as legal, meaning they are comparable to pokemon obtainable in the game, but they will never be considered legit because they simply were not obtained in-game. You can't tell the difference between a legit and legal pokemon by eye. Not in battle, not from the summary screen.

Can people tell a Pokegenned pokemon from a legit one? No, not unless it has an obvious poor hack (like magikarp learning Judgment), but odds are, it won't pass through Pokebank anyway. Bad hacks can get through though.

As a general rule of thumb, if it can be used in ranked Battlespot (or put on the GTS), it will most likely be able to be used in a tournament.

Just a headsup, you CAN gen pokes to have the blue pentagon, btu it takes a lot of messing around with hex values and isnt really worth the effort, sicne you can gen them then rebreeed instead.

Haha yes, I said that in my first paragraph.

Oh I'm blind as **** sorry!
I'm surprised nobody has quoted the VGC ruleset yet.

2.1. Illegally Manipulated Pokémon
The use of external devices, such as a mobile app, to modify or create items or Pokémon in a player’s
Battle Box is expressly forbidden. Players found to have Pokémon or items that have been tampered
with will be disqualified from competition, regardless of whether the Pokémon or items belong to that
player or were traded for. POP recommends players only use Pokémon that they have raised themselves
and items that they have received through normal gameplay. It is always the player’s responsibility to
have legal Pokémon and items during the competition.

So, while it may not be easy to catch you, they can suspend you for powersaved 'mons. Even if you're not the one who powersaved.