Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] EV Training In OR/AS!
Hi guys! Back again with some helpful information on EV Training, but now, it's for the new games, OR/AS! If you want to go check out how to EV train in X/Y, check out my other thread; it contains great details on how to EV train, where to EV train, and what items to use while EV training. Now let's get the party started!

Gaining Effort Values

Each pokemon has a set amount of EV's they give when they are defeated in battle, this is called an EV yeild.
For example; a wild Ghasty yeilds one Special Attack EV when it is defeated.
A pokemon gain's EV's if it gains experience from a knockout, regardless of level and it does not have to participate in the battle (EXP Share) to gain EV's.

Pokemon can also gain EV's from three other methods: Vitamins, Wings, and Super Training

Vitamins come in six (Nine in actuality, but only six effect stats) different flavours, each corrisponding to a Pokemon Stat.

HP Up = HP stat
Protein = Attack stat
Iron = Defense stat
Calcium = Special Attack stat
Zinc = Special Defense stat
Carbos = Speed stat

For every one Vitamin you use on your pokemon it will gain ten EV's in the chosen stat, to a maximum of 100, at which point it will stop allowing you to use the vitamin.
Because of this cap, it is wise to use vitamins before you go to EV train off of pokemon knockouts, if you choose to use them.
Vitamins can be bought in 3 locations in OR/AS: Slateport City marketplace, Lilycove City's Department Store, and Battle Resort's Battle Maison for 2 BP apeice. I recommend going to Slateport's market for these items, because they are quite expensive, and on Fridays, there is a sale on these items.

Wings are similar to vitamins, as there is one wing corrisponding to each stat, however they will only provide one EV per use.

Health Wing = HP stat
Muscle Wing = Attack stat
Resist Wing = Defense stat
Genius Wing = Special Attack stat
Clever Wing = Special Defense stat
Swift Wing = Speed stat

Wings however are usable as long as the stat is not at it's maximum.
Wings are not currently found in OR/AS, but it is able to be traded over from X/Y. (It's not worth it in my opinion, as it provides small increases in EVs, which hordes/vitamins can do much quicker.)

Super Training is a new way to EV train introduced in Generation Six, requiring you to play mini games to raise a stat on a pokemon.
The Super Training screen is useful to everyone EV training because it provides you with a graph that roughly shows you what EV's you have on a pokemon.

Effort Value Maximums

Every pokemon has the ability to gain a total of 510 EV's, with a possible 252 EV's in one stat.
The maximum in previous generations was 255. For every 4 EV's in a stat it would raise that stat by one, however 255 is not divisible by four, so the optimal cut off was always 252. We just don't have to worry about going over this anymore.

When Are EV's Applied?

Immediately after gaining them, be it in the middle of a battle, right after using a Vitamin/Wing, or finishing a Super Training Regimen.

Are EV's Modifiable?

Effort Values are permanent for the most part, however you are able to remove some/all of them when using specific items.

Using a Reset Bag will reset all of your current EV's gained to zero, allowing you to re-train the pokemon.
Perilous Soup (Kee and Maranga Berry mixed together) can have the same effects as a reset bag. I am not 100% sure that this is in OR/AS, as it needs the berry mixer, which is found in X/Y in Lumiose City. However, I can confirm that this item can be sent over via trade (if you so desire doing this).

There are also 'Stat Reducing' berries, which will remove 10 EV's from the chosen stat.

Pomeg Berry = HP stat (Found on Route 119)
Kelpsy Berry = Attack stat (Found in Lilycove City)
Qualot Berry = Defense stat (Found on Route 123)
Hondew Berry = Special Attack stat (Found on Routes 119 and 123)
Grepa Berry = Special Defense stat (Found on Route 123)
Tamato Berry = Speed stat (Found on Route 123)
Basically, almost all berries in OR/AS can be found on Route 123 in the berry field except for event berries or certain berries given by NPCs.
---
There is an infection called Pokerus, which will double the EV's on a pokemon that is afflicted (From a knockout).
There are also many hold items that will change the amount of EV's a pokemon will gain from a knockout, such as;

Power Weight = HP stat
PowerBracer = Attack stat
PowerBelt = Defense stat
PowerLens = Special Attack stat
PowerBand = Special Defense stat
PowerAnklet = Speed stat

All of these items will add four EV's of the chosen stat to a knockout.
The last hold item is the Macho Brace and it functions similarily to Pokerus, as it doubles the EV gain from a knockout.
These items are officially located in the Battle Maison in Battle Resort in OR/AS and can be purchased at the price of 16 BP. The Macho Brace can be obtained after defeating all 4 members of the Winstrate family on Route 111.

These items however only apply to the pokemon holding the item, when a Pokemon is knocked out, giving experience.

Are Effort Values Divided Per Knockout?

No. Every pokemon that gains experience from a knockout and is not already at the maxumim for EV's will gain the base EV yeild. (Which can be modified with Pokerus and an item from above.)

(Base EV Yeild[1-3] + Power Item Stat Gain[4]) x 2 for Pokerus = EV gain [10, 12, or 14] total per knockout.

Finally, what we've all been waiting for.... Horde Training!

But first... here are a few calculations to remember (sorry for the cliffhanger!  Blush )

Calculations for EVs per Pokémon

Don’t forget to multiply by 5 for horde encounters!

Base 3 points:
Pokérus / Macho Brace: 6 EVs
Pokérus + Macho Brace: 12 EVs
Pokérus + Power Item: 14 EVs

Base 2 points:
Pokérus / Macho Brace: 4 EVs
Pokérus + Macho Brace: 8 EVs
Pokérus + Power Item: 12 EVs

Base 1 point:
Pokérus / Macho Brace: 2 EVs
Pokérus + Macho Brace: 4 EVs
Pokérus + Power Item: 10 EVs

Alrighty, now it's time for the horde locations and EV yields! Just a little side note, GameFreak made it so that in OR/AS, there is 1 location in which there is a 100% encounter rate for each stat, so you don't have to worry about running into the wrong hordes. I'll be giving you those locations only (to keep it simple.)

HP
Whismur
Encounter Rate: 100%
Level: 5
EVs: 1 HP each

Attack
Shuppet
Level: 15
EVs: 1 Atk each

Defense
Sandshrew
Level: 11
EVs: 1 Def each

In OR/AS, Sweet Scent & Honey will actually work in sandstorms! (Obligatory DUDUDUDUU, and what's the name of that song again? Kappa )

Special Attack
Oddish
Level: 13
EVs: 1 SpA each

Spinda
Encounter Rate: 95%
Level: 9
EVs: 1 SpA each

Special Defence
Swablu
Level: 10
EVs: 1 SpD each

Speed
Zigzagoon, Wingull or Taillow
Encounter Rate: 100% combined
Level: 2
EVs: 1 Spe each
Note: the route is divided into two parts by Petalburg Woods. Southern part of the route has Taillow hordes, Northern has Wingull hordes.

Thank you for reading all of this, and I hope this (not so) little guide helps you, and enjoy your new adventure in OR/AS!

Resources:
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-trai...-sapphire/
http://www.serebii.net/omegarubyalphasap...shtmlshtml
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-po...x/67749756

I suggest you check those links out as well, they are EXTREMELY helpful and go more into detail than above. I just gave a watered-down version of all those sources.
Great guide!
I've been looking for a watered down compilation :D So thank you!
i really love this man!
Great guide, Nin. For us long time players, this stuff becomes almost second nature, but people new to the competitive community might need help adjusting to the steep learning curve from casual to competitive, and I'm sure this guide will help tremendously.
Ah! This is SO helpful! Thank you so much for posting this!
Super Training is my favorite. That business is too much for me, and charts. Charts are cool.
holy , thank you so much couldn t ask for more :3

nice work dude