Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] First Team VGC 2016
Hello, this is the first team that I'm trying out. I am rather new to competitive Pokemon in general, but I am going through a lot of videos from Aaron Zheng to see the mindset behind his moves. Another thing is I don't have a 3DS of my own and ORAS, this is more so that I can get the early prep in knowing what to do once I get the game. Haven't played many games of Showdown with about 6-7 games with a 3-3/4 record. Very open to suggestions, thank you for your time.

Gardevoir-Mega (F) @ Gardevoirite  
Ability: Trace  
Level: 50  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA  
Quiet Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Hyper Voice  
- Trick Room  
- Protect  
- Psychic

Built to be the core of the team. I really like the power she brings in a doubles format. Innitially I was going for a different moveset with the swap from Destiny Bond to Trick Room, which I haven't tested. Right now I feel that I don't have a backup strat in the case that she falls down as the rest of the team plays to counterpick what counters Gardevoir and not having enough knowledge with teambuilding to put a proper mon to fill that backup. Want to stick with Gardevoir regardless but open to expanding the team to go with the trick room or swapping it for a different team aspect.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb  
Ability: Desolate Land  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk  
Brave Nature  
- Precipice Blades  
- Protect  
- Rock Slide  
- Fire Punch

Scrafty @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def  
Brave Nature  
- Fake Out  
- Rock Slide  
- Super Fang  
- Drain Punch

Really liking to Scrafty to go against some of the top picks with the intimidate and fake out pressure. Help set up with the potential trick room with the fake out. Super Fang plays an interesting role in getting what would take Gardevoir's Hyper Voice 2HKO and getting it close to a OHKO. Rock Slide feels like a somewhat, strange pick but I do feel it's value against flyers and the flinch with a bit of luck to pull through some games.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Regenerator  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Relaxed Nature  
- Rage Powder  
- Spore  
- Giga Drain  
- Protect

A real mvp for the team to provide the disruption and drawing the damage in with rage powder. With the trick room mechanic to the team, I don't think there's any real reason to swap out Amoonguss for anyone else.

Aegislash @ Leftovers  
Ability: Stance Change  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD  
Calm Nature  
- Flash Cannon  
- King's Shield  
- Shadow Ball  
- Wide Guard

To be honest, Aegislash started off as an awkward mon to pick for me, especially with the lack of a backup sweeper to go with if Gardevoir is down or the other team would render her useless. The EVs is probably pretty bad too so any suggestions there would be great. The few times I got Aegislash out, the Wide Guard was invaluable against earthquakes and rock slide.

Xerneas @ Power Herb  
Ability: Fairy Aura  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Modest Nature  
- Geomancy  
- Protect  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Moonblast
This seems like a team from VGC 15.

You should know that VGC 16 now features a lot of new powerful restricted legendaries such as Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, Mega Rayquaza and so on.

Here's a video from Cybertron introducing VGC 16 with almost everything you need to know to start building a team for this format.

As GMX says, this is more of a VGC 15 team. I've seen the Gardevoir/Scrafty/Amoonguss core with Trick Room Gardevoir work wonders
[Insert signature here]
yes, this is VGC15. You are now allowed to get 2 restricted legendaries such as! Xerneas, Groudon, Kyogre, Mewtwo, Lugia, you can find the list easily on YouTube or Google
Gave an update to the team, swapping Cresselia with PGroudon and Heatran with Xerneas. A small undersight until recently how Gardevoir and Xerneas pairs up really well with the Fairy Aura. One question about the meta, how much fairy hate is there considering the Xerneas threat?
you can expect Mawile, Ferrothorn, maybe Aegislash