Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Getting into a new VGC Meta
Hey guys, since Sun/Moon came out I decided to give VGC another go. I've watched some of the streams and after quite a few rounds on Showdown I've come across this setup.

Gastrodon-East @ Expert Belt
Ability: Storm Drain
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 28 Def / 100 SpA / 136 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Storm Drain is probably one of my favorite abilities in the meta so far including Lightning Rod. Being able to switch
in and shut down Hydro Vortex from Gyrados and Scalds from other Gastrodon has been fun.
Ice Beam is excellent for all of the Dragon Threats, not to mention Tapu Bulu.
Sludge Bomb is there to keep the Tapus at bay, I thought of using Toxic but being able to deal damage is easier in my opinion.

Kawena (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 68 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Protect

The best way I've managed to rid of Tapu Koko(and other Marowak) is with this beauty.
The best thing about Marowak in in Alolan form is that it keeps the Lightning Rod ability and
boy has this ability saved Celesteela from some serious Thunderbolt damage.
OHKOs all of the Tapus minus Fini
OHKOs all of the Celesteelas and Kartana.

Smooze (Muk-Alola) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Minimize
- Poison Jab

When Gastrodon can't hold the fort, Muk does a pretty great job handling the Tapus.
I went with Careful to take a few hits in, and even without any attack investments, Muk
was able to deliver the damage.
Minimize I know can be a sore spot for some players, however it has been useful so I can knock
off berries,focus sashes and keeps the status moves away.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

The ultimate stall.
I ran an Impish nature to keep this thing from falling to Flare Blitz.
Flamethrower while normally it wouldn't do much
I keep it in case of Celesteela-mirror battles.
Heavy Slam wards off the Tapus like Bulu and Lele
and heavily damages Koko and Fini.
Leech Seed...why does this thing have it no clue, but it's
been clutch in quite a few battles.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 72 Def / 124 SpA / 68 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball

Everyone's favorite bulky duck.
I used to run recover on this, but since I needed extra coverage against opposing Marowak,
I opted for Shadow Ball. Besides Porygon 2 is hard to take down even without it. Thanks Eviolite.
Discharge used to be the move I ran but the possibility of getting trapped into using that for Water/Flying coverage was too risky.
OHKO's Garchomp,Salamence,Krookodile with Ice Beam
OHKO's relatively every Water Pokemon that's not Gastrodon and also knocks out opposing Celesteela with Thunderbolt.
Trick Room is there mostly as a way to disrupt anyone's Trick Room Setup

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 92 HP / 116 Def / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Shadow Ball

While there isn't many Pokemon in the meta weak against Psychic moves, Shattered Psyche is
plenty powerful to deliver a OHKO.
Strange enough thought it was one I was looking forward to the most, I haven't been able
to use it often in battle, mostly to get that Psychic Terrain going.

If you guys have an tips,replacement ideas,ect. I'd be willing to hear them out.
This team is decent for the most part but it looks like it will have problems with faster teams and some heavy Trick Room attackers like Magnezone, Muk-A, Drampa etc. The damage output of this team is abysmal at best seeing as only Tapu Lele and Marowak really do any serious damage and the two are pretty frail in their own right against the current meta that consists of Muk, Celesteela, Arcanine and opposing Tapu Lele and Marowak

I have no idea what Gastrodon's EV spread is supposed to achieve and Sludge Bomb isn't netting any significant KOs. Honestly, Earthquake is still the better option as it hits a lot more things in the metagame for super effective and Ground coverage would be much appreciated by this team. Recover is also a good option as Gastrodon has no means of recovery and its bulk doesn't avoid a lot of 2HKOs or OHKOs to be honest

252 Atk Garchomp Tectonic Rage vs. 244 HP / 28 Def Gastrodon: 201-237 (92.6 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche vs. 244 HP / 28 Def Gastrodon: 169-199 (77.8 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Toxic is preferred on Gastrodon due to its ability to tank hits from bulkier Pokemon such as Porygon2 and stall them out with the status in combination with Protect and passive recovery

Your team cannot support a Minimize set up plus the move is too gimmicky and relying on evasion to win isn't really a strong wincon because your win condition is still chance based meaning if you so happen to be unfortunate (or the opponent carries a Z move that OHKOs Muk) you just wasted turns. Curse, Taunt and Shadow Sneak are better options for this slot and Muk should always be running either the Iapapa Berry or Figy Berry as they give 50% recovery when Muk drops below 50% provided it has the Gluttony ability

-1 0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 116-138 (80 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Just putting that calc out there. Arcanine and Tapu Lele is a common lead matchup and your team's only responses are Marowak (who gets OHKOd by Tapu Lele), Muk (who Arcanine can possibly burn) and Celesteela (who Arcanine pressures). A bit more attack investments would be appreciated so Celesteela can OHKO Tapu Lele at -1 attack. It seems arbitrary but it really isn't as a situation like this is very likely to happen. Also Flamethrower does nothing for Celesteela. Earthquake, Wide Guard or Substitute are better options for this set

Recover is a necessary move on Porygon2 to keep it around. Gastrodon, Tapu Lele and Muk all outspeed and KO Marowak so you really don't need Shadow Ball as much as you'd think
[Insert signature here]