Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Mixed offense team.
I've been messing around with different teams for the next tournament I enter on pokemon showdown, so I started throwing around a lot of ideas, but I haven't found much sucess with them. I created this team yesterday and it has become the most sucessful out of all of the teams I made. So I'll just give the team rundown.

[Image: porygon-z.png]

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Adaptability  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Hyper Beam  
- Thunder  
- Ice Beam  
- Dark Pulse  

I started with porygon z because I usually start with special attackers when building teams for some reason. Anyways after seeing Sejun parks Porygon-z I thought I would use it for this team and It has been winning battles for me at a consistent rate. with choice scarf it can outspeed garchomp and maninly any other pokemon in the meta with an ice weakness. The same goes for any pokemon with dark or electric weaknesses. Hyper beam is also great because of the large base attack of the move, stab, and the base 135 sp attack stat that porygon z has.

[Image: scizor.png]
Scizor @ Life Orb  
Ability: Technician  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Bullet Punch  
- X-Scissor  
- Swords Dance  
- Protect  

I like to include pokemon on my teams that can utilize trick room incase I am up against a trick room team. I set up usually with swords dance when the opponent sets up and then sweep them with bullet punch. One thing I really like about scizor is the only weakness scizor has is fire. Around this time I started to notice weaknesses with this team. Fire type and Fighting type, so I got a pokemon that could cover both.

[Image: tapufini.png]
Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Misty Surge  
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 164 SpA / 44 SpD / 28 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Muddy Water  
- Hydro Pump  
- Moonblast  
- Dazzling Gleam  

This was my solution to counter the weaknesses stated before. To get the most damage out from muddy water and hydro pump I added choice specs. Misty terrain helps boost the fairy attacks along with the boost from stab. 2 out of the 3 weaknesses that tapu fini has are very common so I made sure to give it bulk to live through those attacks. In my opinion tapu fini is a very good special attacker that I really wish had more use.

[Image: metagross.png]
Metagross @ Psychium Z  
Ability: Clear Body  
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def  
Adamant Nature  
- Zen Headbutt  
- Meteor Mash  
- Bullet Punch  
- Protect  
Needed another physical attacker so I got metagross. Psychium z really helps me out a lot and bullet punch because theres no such thing as priority. Anyways this is filler so nothing too special.

[Image: marowak-alola.png]
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club  
Ability: Lightning Rod  
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SpD  
Brave Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Flare Blitz  
- Shadow Bone  
- Bonemerang  
- Protect  

To add a new playstyle for this team, I added alolan marowak to be able to take electric type attacks from my xurkitree that I haven't added yet. Standard alolan marowak that everyone uses. Kinda wish A-M was a special attacker to utilize the lightning rod but it is what it is.

[Image: xurkitree.png]
Xurkitree @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Energy Ball  
- Discharge  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Volt Switch  
My final mon. Added because like I said at alolan marowak, I wanted a new mode. I chose assault vest over choice scarf because I wanted to be able to use volt switch. Not anything that special.

Anyways, thats my team I made. I have a hard time with mons with little to no weaknesses like alolan muk or ground type users. Even I have slow pokemon for the purpose of using trick room to their advantage, I struggle against trick room teams. Any way of improving this team is appreciated!
one thing i notice is you could use rockhead marowak to avoid recoil from flare blitz? since your team doesnt have a huge electric problem, other then avoiding discharge
(Jan 7, 2017, 10:28 AM)wartty Wrote: one thing i notice is you could use rockhead marowak to avoid recoil from flare blitz? since your team doesnt have a huge electric problem, other then avoiding discharge

Lightningrod is the biggest draw to using Marowak at the moment. Without it, it is pretty much outclassed by things like Arcanine which provides Intimidate, higher speed, far better support options as well as flexibility in set options (can run Physical or Special, as well as a far broader set of possible EV spreads depending on the needs of the team). The ability to comfortably switch in to Koko is far more valuable than removing recoil. The first things that I see are a pretty bad weakness to Muk and an insane weakness to Krookodile. Krook destroys Marowak, Xurkitree and Metagross, OHKOs Fini with Z-Earthquake after a reasonable amount of chip damage, Intimidates Scizor and has the potential to eat an Ice Beam from P-Z (a coins flip of a chance) and just generally outspeeds your entire team besides P-Z.

252+ SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 156-184 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

I'm not going to suggest member changes because really you haven't provided enough information to suggest any without an entire reconfiguration of the team. Just thought I'd say Scizor for the most part is outclassed by Kartana, with its higher speed, great matchup versus every Tapu (over Scizor which gets walled by Lele), ability to hit Gastro, double duck (while living a rain boosted Z-Hydro Pump from Modest Golduck with AV), while still having the option of SD if you really value it that much. I don't understand you dropped your only reliable STAB on P-Z in Tri Attack for Thunder. Like I actually haven't got a clue. And just generally the team composition doesn't seem to have had much thought. I don't feel like you've put too much thought about how well the members synergise together and how well they matchup versus common leads/cores/archetypes. At least that's what I gather from your descriptions.

Also Misty surge doesn't boost the power of fairy moves.
The team analysis isn't really too in depth to where the team's full capability and functions are clearly stated and you haven't specified which format this team is to be used for

Are there any specific targets that Porygon-Z hit with Dark Pulse? Shadow Ball would make more sense as it hits Tapu Lele for super effective which is a big issue for this team seeing as how it outspeeds a majority of it and can threaten most of your mons with OHKO or 2HKO. Scizor and Metagross aren't really effective answers to it because they have to take an attack from it before hitting back which will most likely cripple them for the partnering Pokemon to take them out. Also, why Thunder over Discharge/Thunderbolt? You aren't running Rain for perfect accuracy so the move is pretty unreliable with 70% accuracy

Scizor's 252/252/4 EV spread doesn't optimize fully on its defensive capabilities and Bullet Punch plus X-Scissor doesn't make for a very good STAB combination to hit most of the meta. Bullet Punch itself is so risky due to the amount of Tapu Lele running around
[Insert signature here]
I like what you did with pory and the dark pulse. I assume you're aiming to flinch while also dealing some damage at the same time, and you've already got hyper beam on there to take care of some major threats like tapu lele.
"#PopplioSquadIsLit"

Previously known as Julia234
(Jan 7, 2017, 02:06 PM)Colette Wrote: I like what you did with pory and the dark pulse. I assume you're aiming to flinch while also dealing some damage at the same time, and you've already got hyper beam on there to take care of some major threats like tapu lele.

Sejun put Dark Pulse to cover for Marowak and Metagross. If you're locking yourself into Dark Pulse just for the flinch chance you're doing something wrong.
(Jan 7, 2017, 03:37 PM)RebornFX Wrote:
(Jan 7, 2017, 02:06 PM)Colette Wrote: I like what you did with pory and the dark pulse. I assume you're aiming to flinch while also dealing some damage at the same time, and you've already got hyper beam on there to take care of some major threats like tapu lele.

Sejun put Dark Pulse to cover for Marowak and Metagross. If you're locking yourself into Dark Pulse just for the flinch chance you're doing something wrong.

I never stated that he would be locking in just to flinch for dark pulse, I just stated I liked the idea of dark pulse with the chance of flinching while dealing damage. Then again if he happens to be locked into it he always has the option to switch out
"#PopplioSquadIsLit"

Previously known as Julia234
Bump.

edit: Also this is a vgc team. Also swapped scizor for kartana.

Kartana @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 132 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Leaf Blade  
- Smart Strike  
- Sacred Sword  
- Night Slash