Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] My First VGC Team
Hey guys, this is my first team build and I just wanted to see what you guys and gals have to say about it and maybe help me make improvements.  Here goes nothing.

Core of the Team

Toxapex
Ability: Merciless
Nature: Quiet
Item: Black Sludge
Evs: 252 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 4 Sp Def
Moveset
Sludge Wave/ Venoshock
Surf
Stockpile
Recover

This team was basically built around Toxapex and it's defensive charateristics.  I didn't put much into it's defensive stats because they are already so high and one stockpile will put both defensive stats over 200.  Recover is to obviously heal back health and keep Toxapex around longer. I gave it Sludge wave and Surf to do some damage to both of the opponents pokemon.  If sludge wave gets the poison on one of the opposing Pokemon then I can get the Merciless boost from it.  I'm having a bit of trouble deciding if I want to replace sludge wave with venoshock because I have a lot of poison users on this team. Venoshock against a poisoned target from Toxapex has a whopping 292 base damage.  I gave it Black sludge to recover some HP each turn but am thinking about maybe switching it to poison barb to do a little more damage with sludge wave or venoshock.

Snorlax
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Adamant
Item: Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 HP
Moves
Body Slam/ Double Edge
Rest
Recycle/Sleep Talk
Stockpile

I also chose Snorlax becasue of it's survivability and potential to deal out some physical damage.  With this set uo one Stockpile will put both defense stats in the 170s.  Once Snorlax's massive HP gets low I can use rest and get it all back and not have to deal with the sleep thanks to the Chesto Berry.  I added Recycle there to be able to get the Chesto Berry back to use rest again later in the battle without the sleeping. I'm wondering if i should just replace recycle with Sleep talk to just use a random move while being asleep with rest?  I can't decide between using body slam or double edge as a powerful STAB.  Body slam is weaker but can possibly paralyze the target without damaging itself, but double edge has such a high base power thanks to STAB, but has recoil with it. Let me know which move you think is better for this set up.

Porygon 2
Ability: Download
Nature: Quiet
Item: Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 Sp Def
Moves
Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Tri Attack
Toxic
Trick Room
Recover

This Porygon is basically a really bulky Trick Room setter and Toxic staller. Toxic has the added benefit of activating Merciless on my Toxapex and Venoshock for some of my supporting pokemon. Because the core of my team is slow trick room would be a benefit to getting stockpiled and set up for the battle.  I'm having a really hard time deciding which damaging move I want on this Porygon so I'd really like to know what move you all think would be best.

Supporters

Kangaskhan
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Adamant
Item: Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 Sp Def
Moves
Fake Out
Double Edge
Chip Away
Sucker Punch

This Kangaskhan is basically here as a slightly bulky Fake out user.  Because of inner focus Kangaskhan will always be able to fake out the most threatening opponent to whatever pokemon I have out with it. This means the other pokemon will be able to stockpile or get trick room up.  Double edge is just a powerful STAB, Sucker punch to attack first if I think the enemy will attack, and chip away to do damage to a defensely boosted opponent.  Most of the attack could probably be replaced by other better attacks but I just decided on these becasue I needed all damagin attacks thanks to the assualt vest.

Salazzle
Ability: Corrosion
Nature: Modest
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Moves
Poison Gas
Fireblast
Venoshock
Protect

Salazzle is meant to be able to posion opposing posion and steel types mainly.  It can then do a lot of damage to steel type using Fireblast or hitting with venoshock as well. Protect is there to possible protect during turn 2 as Salazzle is very frail.  I may replace protect with fake out once pokemon bank comes out.

Gengar
Ability: Cursed Body
Nature: Modest
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Moves
Venoshock
Shadowball
Protect
Trickroom

Meant to go right alongside Salazzle to dish out massive damage right away. Salazzle just barely outspeeds Genger to get a poison gas off, the Gengar can hit with a massive venoshock. I have Shadow ball for another powerful STAB. Protect is there to waste a turn then attack again with Venoshock or Shadowball.  I just added Trick room to be able to set it up for pokemon coming in to battle once Gengar gets it's job done.

Thanks for taking the time to read through all of this. I'd love to know what you all think and please give me some input about the moveset dilemas I'm having and any possible changes in general.

Thanks a ton!
First of all, don't get the idea of toxic stall in the current VGC meta when 1) Tapu Fini is common to block all status ailments, and 2) you need your own opposing Tapu (preferably Bulu / Koko to beat Fini) in order to have mild success, which is still doubtful. Like there's no way in heck this team will "work" in the current metagame or even the the future changes given how passive it is. Any Pokemon with the move Taunt is even threatening as well given most of your team requires setup in a way. Even some strong hyper offensive teams with Tapu Koko / Lele + Z-Earthquake Garchomp can kinda steamroll this team. You won't be able to get most of these setups down in time or get sufficient damage before your opponent gets better positioning. The only Pokemon that can deal with opposing Ground-types is Porygon2, when it will get worn down with significant damage. The rest of the team doesn't to synergize well enough to support each other, in fact, it just compounds those weaknesses to Ground, Fighting, and Psychic.

Honestly, if we were to consider rebuilding this team, it would be radically different to at least be competitively viable in the meta, and again don't know where to do you want to go from there. If I were you, consider keeping Gengar, Porygon2, and maybe the Salazzle, but I'd don't go with a toxic stall approach at all.
@Black117 

So far the team is doing decently, probably about 50/50 either way.  I tweaked some of the movesets so that may have helped