Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] My Kanto x Alola Regional Rumble Team
As the title says, this is my team for the Kanto x Alola Regional Rumble. I've been playing mostly VGC format for my entire competitive Pokemon history, so I need some help. This team was built to be offensive with some support if I need it, and I would love to get some feedback on it before registrations start

Main Team:

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Sheer Force  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Earth Power  
- Sludge Wave  
- Ice Beam  
- Flamethrower

Nidoking is my counter to most of the threats my team faces. Sheer Force is a given, and Earth Power is for Tapu Koko and Magnezone. Ice Beam is for Garchomp, since I'm almost certain he'll be the most used Pokemon in this event, and Nidoking is a pretty good switch in to it. Flamethrower is for Celesteela, which can wall some of my team. Sludge Wave is my counter to Fairy types like the Tapus.

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z  
Ability: Multiscale  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Dragon Dance  
- Dragon Claw  
- Fire Punch  
- Hurricane

Dragonite is meant to be my main sweeper after a DDance, and is also my only Z-Move carrier. Typical max Speed max Attack investment for pure damage output. Dragon Claw is his main STAB, with Fire Punch and Thunder Punch for coverage. Hurricane and Flyinium Z is to bomb anything that would normally give Dragonite a hard time. Not much else to say here.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Skill Link  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Razor Shell  
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear  
- Shell Smash

Cloyster is my Spikes lead and hazard remover. Focus Sash allows it to get at least 1 layer of Spikes or a guaranteed Shell Smash (which is literally broken on Cloyster) so I can sweep with Icicle Spear and Rock Blast thanks to Skill Swap. With max Attack and Max speed at plus 2 it can outspeed Scarf Lele and can deal HUGE damage to anything scary that doesn't resist it. 

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z  
Ability: Electric Surge  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Thunderbolt  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Grass Knot
- U-Turn

Tapu Koko is the typical LO Special Sweeper we all know and love  He has Volt Switch U-Turn to pivot Nidoking in safely when needed, Grass Knot for big threats, Dazzling Gleam for Chomp, and Thunderbolt for STAB damage. I'm contemplating finding a replacement for a team member to finish out a TurnVolt combo to keep momentum, so if you have any recommendations I'm all ears.

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def 
Gentle Nature  
- Flare Blitz 
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Roar  
- Extreme Speed

Arcanine is here as my defensive utility mon and Intimidate user, which is always nice to have. He's a bulky Arcanine carrying W-O-W and Roar to reduce enemy damage in combination with Intimidate, and Roar to keep out setters like Gyarados or Garchomps running SD. Espeed is for revenge kills since it takes priority and Flare Blitz is there for STAB damage. Sitrus Berry and Max Def and nearly max HP are all for longevity to stall out and wear down big opponents.

Bench/Replacements:

Venusaur @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpDef
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic

Venusar is a special wall whose main purpose is to stall big sweepers and wither them down with Toxic and Leech Seed. Leftys for longevity and Synthesis to keep Venasaur on the board as long as possible and stall out threats. Sludge Bomb is our only direct source for damage output and is STAB boosted so he can properly wall Tapus and take them out. 

Scizor @ Choice Band 
Ability: Technician  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Bullet Punch  
- U-turn  
- Knock Off  
- Superpower

Scizor has its extremely powerful STAB Bullet Punch than can handle Alolan Ninetails, who is otherwise a huge threat to the team, relatively easy, and with access to Knock Off and U-Turn can push HUGE momentum onto my side of the field. Superpower is there to handle other Steel types like AV Metagross and Normal types like P2, which I wouldn't be surprised to see in the event. The 8 SpDef EVs are to crack the 100 mark, and the max Attack and nearly max HP are pretty straightforward. 

I have tested this team on Showdown and have faired quite well with it. Out of the 15 games I played, I won 10 and lost 5. One issue I've found is a large weakness to Ice, with Nidoking, Dragonite, and Venasaur all being threatened by something like Alolan Ninetails, so almost any team that carried it was able to sweep me. That was why Arcanine was put on the team, and he can do his job pretty well if I can switch him in. Nidoking is incredibly strong when pivoted in after a kill with Koko, but any opposing Ground type or EQ user can oneshot him if they can outspeed me. The team seems balanced though, with 3 Physical Attackers, 1 Special Attacker, 1 Special Wall and 1 Physical wall. I'll leave that up to you though, since like I said, I've never made a competitive singles team and would love to get some input from more experienced players. Thanks in advance!

Breeder Scott - Proud Member of the Amethyst 0mega Breeder's Guild

Looking for breedables? Check out my new shop
@ScottyThunder Definitely go w/ either a Modest/Timid nature on the Nidoking. Also, you said Flamethrower was for Celesteela, but it looks like you've replaced that move for something else. Scarfed Nidoking outspeeds Alolan Ninetales though, unless it's also scarfed. In a 3v3 format, I personally don't see the need for Spikes, as your opponent could easily set up. In terms of another mon for VoltTurn, I'd recommend Scizor. Even a bulky Scizor's Bullet Punch w/ hardly any investment OHKO's Alolan Ninetales, which you said you're weak to, and it has access to U-turn.
Feel free to post your favorite Pokémon FanArt here ϞϞ(๑⚈ ․̫ ⚈๑)∩
(Mar 6, 2017, 09:00 AM)BoneheadMarowak Wrote: @ScottyThunder Definitely go w/ either a Modest/Timid nature on the Nidoking. Also, you said Flamethrower was for Celesteela, but it looks like you've replaced that move for something else. Scarfed Nidoking outspeeds Alolan Ninetales though, unless it's also scarfed. In a 3v3 format, I personally don't see the need for Spikes, as your opponent could easily set up. In terms of another mon for VoltTurn, I'd recommend Scizor. Even a bulky Scizor's Bullet Punch w/ hardly any investment OHKO's Alolan Ninetales, which you said you're weak to, and it has access to U-turn.

Thanks a lot for your input. I could've sworn I had Nidoking as Timid, and the Thunderbolt was a mistake on my part from before the team was fully built. It's good to know he can outspeed Ninetails, which is a pretty bit threat to the team. As for Cloyster, I wasn't sure if I should run Spikes or not since this was 3v3, but I got the build for it from Smogon, so I should have done a little more research. Scizor sounds like a good option for a replacement, so I'll have to look into that. Thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

@ScottyThunder Yeah, I was thinking the nature must've just been an error. You can always check to see if a mon will be faster than another by checking PS' Damage Calc: https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/ (In the case of Choice Scarf, just multiply the mon's speed by 1.5). Spikes would definitely be more helpful in 6v6, so yeah it doesn't have too much viability in 3v3. Last move is up to you, but I'd recommend Rock Blast, as after a Shell Smash it outspeeds a good majority of mons and hits what Icicle Spear can't for the most part. You're very welcome, I'm glad I could help! ^_^
Feel free to post your favorite Pokémon FanArt here ϞϞ(๑⚈ ․̫ ⚈๑)∩
3v3 and 6v6 are two different metagames so what works in Smogon singles won't necessarily work here. In a format like this one where Salamence, Tapu Lele, Dragonite, Pheromosa, Porygon-Z and Gyarados exist, you need to have adequate checks for each of these to avoid them from 3-0ing your team.

Scarf Nidoking is good for the surprise factor but the item may turn Nidoking from being a fast attacker to set up bait for Salamence, Dragonite or scarf Tapu Lele. It's a huge risk that you have to plan around. Life Orb isn't a bad item and you can have Nidoking focused as a wallbreaker rather than an offensive answer to Garchomp and faster threats. Plus a Life Orb Nidoking deals better with Celesteela, Buzzwole, Magnezone, Alolan Muk, Slowbro etc.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Muk-Alola: 198-234 (93.3 - 110.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Flamethrower vs. 180 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela: 101-122 (51.7 - 62.5%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dragonite does better with Flyinium-Z or Draconium-Z as both get a STAB boost and Dragonite has a base 90/110 Flying move and base 120/130 Dragon move which does more damage than a base 75 electric attack. Supersonic Skystrike easily clears threats that would normally take all of Dragonite's other attacks

Superpower, Bug Bite and Knock Off on Scizor is still a grey area as the rules don't state that transferring Pokemon from Gen 6 to Gen 7 is legal and all these moves are learnt via move tutor. To deal with your Ice Weakness, Thick Fat Snorlax is an easy fix as it has a good STAB, wide movepool and it is tanky enough to take hits from Pokemon who've boosted to at most +1 Attack or in a few cases +2. Snorlax can also sweep with a Curse/Rest/Sleep Talk/Body Slam set as most teams will most likely be unprepared for it

Right now, Alolan Marowak seems to run through your team as nothing switches into it safely so Snorlax is able to fulfill the role as a check to it seeing as how Snorlax is immune to Ghost, resists Fire with Thick Fat and can shrug off Will-o-Wisp with Rest

For Tapu Koko, consider Fairium-Z as a means of OHKOing opposing Dragon, Dark and Fighting types, particularly Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite and Kommo-o. Hidden Power Ground is also good as it prevents Marowak from safely switching in and 2HKOs

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 88-104 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A Physical set with Wild Charge, Brave Bird, U-turn and Dazzling Gleam can work to take care of Grass types easier and do more damage as Koko's attack stat is higher than its special attack stat. Not to mention that U-turn prevents Ground Types from stopping Koko from switching out

Physically defensive Arcanine is a better option as most of the attackers in this meta will be physical. Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, Roar and Extreme Speed works well for this meta. Will-o-Wisp is a good option over Wild Charge but Wild Charge takes care of opposing water and flying types easier, particularly Gyarados

Venusaur only adds another Psychic weakness and this slot is better used for a Fairy killer. Kartana is perfect as it deals with Ninetales as well as Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini and to an extent Tapu Koko. A scarf set works well as a revenge killer and late game cleaner as not much outspeeds Kartana
[Insert signature here]
(Mar 8, 2017, 10:11 AM)Marcusube Wrote: 3v3 and 6v6 are two different metagames so what works in Smogon singles won't necessarily work here. In a format like this one where Salamence, Tapu Lele, Dragonite, Pheromosa, Porygon-Z and Gyarados exist, you need to have adequate checks for each of these to avoid them from 3-0ing your team.

Scarf Nidoking is good for the surprise factor but the item may turn Nidoking from being a fast attacker to set up bait for Salamence, Dragonite or scarf Tapu Lele. It's a huge risk that you have to plan around. Life Orb isn't a bad item and you can have Nidoking focused as a wallbreaker rather than an offensive answer to Garchomp and faster threats. Plus a Life Orb Nidoking deals better with Celesteela, Buzzwole, Magnezone, Alolan Muk, Slowbro etc.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Muk-Alola: 198-234 (93.3 - 110.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Flamethrower vs. 180 HP / 148+ SpD Celesteela: 101-122 (51.7 - 62.5%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dragonite does better with Flyinium-Z or Draconium-Z as both get a STAB boost and Dragonite has a base 90/110 Flying move and base 120/130 Dragon move which does more damage than a base 75 electric attack. Supersonic Skystrike easily clears threats that would normally take all of Dragonite's other attacks

Superpower, Bug Bite and Knock Off on Scizor is still a grey area as the rules don't state that transferring Pokemon from Gen 6 to Gen 7 is legal and all these moves are learnt via move tutor. To deal with your Ice Weakness, Thick Fat Snorlax is an easy fix as it has a good STAB, wide movepool and it is tanky enough to take hits from Pokemon who've boosted to at most +1 Attack or in a few cases +2. Snorlax can also sweep with a Curse/Rest/Sleep Talk/Body Slam set as most teams will most likely be unprepared for it

Right now, Alolan Marowak seems to run through your team as nothing switches into it safely so Snorlax is able to fulfill the role as a check to it seeing as how Snorlax is immune to Ghost, resists Fire with Thick Fat and can shrug off Will-o-Wisp with Rest

For Tapu Koko, consider Fairium-Z as a means of OHKOing opposing Dragon, Dark and Fighting types, particularly Salamence, Garchomp, Dragonite and Kommo-o. Hidden Power Ground is also good as it prevents Marowak from safely switching in and 2HKOs

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Marowak-Alola: 88-104 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A Physical set with Wild Charge, Brave Bird, U-turn and Dazzling Gleam can work to take care of Grass types easier and do more damage as Koko's attack stat is higher than its special attack stat. Not to mention that U-turn prevents Ground Types from stopping Koko from switching out

Physically defensive Arcanine is a better option as most of the attackers in this meta will be physical. Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, Roar and Extreme Speed works well for this meta. Will-o-Wisp is a good option over Wild Charge but Wild Charge takes care of opposing water and flying types easier, particularly Gyarados

Venusaur only adds another Psychic weakness and this slot is better used for a Fairy killer. Kartana is perfect as it deals with Ninetales as well as Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini and to an extent Tapu Koko. A scarf set works well as a revenge killer and late game cleaner as not much outspeeds Kartana

Thanks a lot for the input! Like I said, I have basically no experience in 3v3, so I really didn't know what to prepare for. I'll be taking everything you've recommended into consideration to fix the team up before the challenge starts. Thanks again!