Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Planning for a local tournament
I'm going to take part on a local tournament in a couple of weeks. I've been planning teams for it but I would like some assistance.
The rules for the competition are:
Format is double battle 4v4
No legendaries or UBs
Banned things: Gengarite, Salamencite, Kangaskhanite, Moody, Evasion moves, 1 Hit-KO moves

Currently I have two-ish teams planned:

Team 1:

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Att/ 4 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Destiny Bond
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough

The EV spead may be a bit weird and may need changing. I based it on the Mimikyu that I have in my box from the previous competition. The main job of this Mimikyu is to get the Trick Room up for Snorlax and also put some pressure on fighting types. It can also give Snorlax a better chance to use Recycle with Z- Destiny Bond. Shadow Claw and Play Rough are there for coverage in case Snorlax gets taken out before it can really get anything done.

Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: HP 68 /Att 196 / Def 244
Nature: Brave
- Return
- High Horsepower
- Belly Drum
- Recycle

This is the main sweeper of the team. I'm still pondering on putting Facade over Return for STAB since it gets stronger with status conditions. High Horsepower is there for the Rock and Steel types. Snorlax is there to get the Belly Drum up and sweep. The recycle is there to give it some sustainability.

Oranguru @ Mental Herb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 20 SpA / 96 SpD
Nature: Sassy
- Instruct
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Protect

When Mimikyu goes down Oranguru comes next to Snorlax and helps him sweep with Instruct. I'm thinking or replacing the Trick Room for either Light Screen or Reflect to help Snorlax sustain itself.

Whimsicott @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Beat Up
- Tail Wind
- Taunt
- Moon Blast

This is part of a second core. If There comes pokemon that the Mimikyu - Snorlax combo cant get rolling with, I backed it up with Whimsicott - Arcanine combo. Whimsicotts job is to give Arcanine the Justified boost and work as a Tailwind support. Moon Blast is there to help Arcanine deal with things like Garchomp. I could replace Taunt with Memento and that way give Milotic an easier way to switch in.

Arcanine @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Att / 4 Def/ 252 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

This is a set I took from @0kamii but instead of using Weavile, I used Whimsicott because it has a lower base attack.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Mirror Coat
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Milotic is there to help Arcanine with ground and dragon types. Mirror Coat may not be that useful in Doubles format so I might replace that with something else. Scald is a good STAB move and Ice Beam is there for coverage.

Team 2:

Eevee @ Eeveum Z
Ability: Adaptibility
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Last Resort
- Baton Pass
- Helping Hand
- Protect

There to get the Z-move off and Baton Pass out to Gardevoir.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace -> Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Hyper Voice
- Stored Power
- Shadow Ball
- Moon Blast

The main sweeper after getting the boosts from Eevee.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spa / 4 Spd
Nature: Quiet
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Wide Guard
- King Shield

There to give Eevee support and the opportunity to get the Z-move off.

Pachirisu @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spd
Nature: Impish
- Nuzzle
- Follow Me
- Hyper Fang
- Protect

A supporter for Eevee if it is more expected that the opponent will use more single target moves.

Milotic @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Mirror Coat
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

I wasn't sure what to put here and Milotic has saved my *** in many occasions.

Arcanine @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Att / 4 Def/ 252 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Arcanine is here for the same reason as Milotic.

I know my thought process isn't complete but that's why I'm here asking for advice.
Would u please include more information about each Pokémon? This basic description does not offer much insight into how the team functions, or why each move or spread was selected.
(Aug 25, 2017, 10:27 AM)WickedGligar Wrote: Would u please include more information about each Pokémon? This basic description does not offer much insight into how the team functions, or why each move or spread was selected.

I'm not very good at that but I'll try
Jolly Mimikyu must have 252 EVs in Spe to reach the speed tie with other Mimikyu and Togedemaru.

Wiki Berry is the preferred berry because it punishes a lot of Bug Bite users and Return is one of the worst STABs for Snorlax: Frustation is absolutely better, but even Facade and Body Slam can be nice. What about the spread?

Oranguru sucks. You should try a ZTR+Hypnosys user or a TR setter able to inflict good damages alone.

Sitrus Berry can be used instead of Iapapa and its other versions only when you have a spread that works together with the item in order to avoid significative 2HKOs. You're using a 252/252 spread, so I guess that's not your case. Use instead the Iapapa Berry or a Focus Sash.

Consider Crunch instead of CC for Arcanine to hit AMarowak. Do not increase Def when it's equivalent to SpD, as you're giving P2 a free +1 in SpA in a late game situation.

Gardevoir lacks Protect.

Pachirisu sucks, use Smeargle/EvioClefairy/Raichu/Togedemaru instead.

Wiki Berry suits better to Milotic.

Generally talking I think you misunderstood the rules: when people say "4vs4" they usually mean "have 6 mons, bring 4 of them in each battle". That said, both your teams are owned by MCharY wich is often paired with a Sleep inducer that can avoid Eevee to BPass and Mimikyu/Oranguru to set TR. My advice is taking a sample team made for BSD and adapt it to this ruleset.
(Aug 25, 2017, 05:35 PM)Spyro190 Wrote: Jolly Mimikyu must have 252 EVs in Spe to reach the speed tie with other Mimikyu and Togedemaru.

Wiki Berry is the preferred berry because it punishes a lot of Bug Bite users and Return is one of the worst STABs for Snorlax: Frustation is absolutely better, but even Facade and Body Slam can be nice. What about the spread?

Oranguru sucks. You should try a ZTR+Hypnosys user or a TR setter able to inflict good damages alone.

Sitrus Berry can be used instead of Iapapa and its other versions only when you have a spread that works together with the item in order to avoid significative 2HKOs. You're using a 252/252 spread, so I guess that's not your case. Use instead the Iapapa Berry or a Focus Sash.

Consider Crunch instead of CC for Arcanine to hit AMarowak. Do not increase Def when it's equivalent to SpD, as you're giving P2 a free +1 in SpA in a late game situation.

Gardevoir lacks Protect.

Pachirisu sucks, use Smeargle/EvioClefairy/Raichu/Togedemaru instead.

Wiki Berry suits better to Milotic.

Generally talking I think you misunderstood the rules: when people say "4vs4" they usually mean "have 6 mons, bring 4 of them in each battle". That said, both your teams are owned by MCharY wich is often paired with a Sleep inducer that can avoid Eevee to BPass and Mimikyu/Oranguru to set TR. My advice is taking a sample team made for BSD and adapt it to this ruleset.

Thanks for the advice! I've been thinking of so many weird combinations that I completely forgot the more common threats like MCharY and I need to prepare for that too. I will definitely check out those sample teams. I knew there would be people here who could point out things I've missed and/or didn't think through. And you don't need something crazy to get something that works. I like weird but it's not always practical.

I knew the Mimikyu pobably needed some adjustment because I used that set in singles and it worked there. Doubles has proven to be very different.

The spreads of these pokemon are either from here or from pokemon showdown calculator. I wanted to try more physically defensive variant since last time I used Snorlax as a special wall and it nearly bit me in the *** with the physical threats.
I will probably change Return to Facade since I keep getting badly poisoned. And I'll change the berry. Now that you mentioned the Wiki berry sounds better at this point.

The Oranguru was there more for the Instruct than for the Trick Room. I have the Z-move on Mimikyu which is the main Trick Room setter.

I had forgotten about eviolite Clefairy. Smeargle I'm not so big fan of since it is so frail. Raichu and Togedemaru don't really offer re-direction which is what I was looking for in Pachirisu. Other than in electric moves.

I will take a note of everything you've said. I think there is sleep clause in play in this tournament so I'm not that worried about sleep. Though whit these sets one spore in the wrong mon could ruin my day.
@Spyro190 I looked at those sample teams and I must say that it's going to be nearly impossible to take anything from them. The cores are based on the Tapus, Mega Salamence, Mega Kangaskhan and the forces of nature which are all banned.
(Aug 26, 2017, 07:42 AM)Aqwell Wrote: @Spyro190 I looked at those sample teams and I must say that it's going to be nearly impossible to take anything from them. The cores are based on the Tapus, Mega Salamence, Mega Kangaskhan and the forces of nature which are all banned.

flarz's Sand Offense
[Image: 373-m.png][Image: 248.png][Image: 530.png][Image: 233.png][Image: 785.png][Image: 591.png]

Jolteon>Koko, MPinsir/MPidgeot>MSalamence. They were both added for their Flying/Electric STABs useful to destroy bulky Grass/Water mons able to endure TtarDrill, so they are easily replaceble.

Millennium Bug (Pinsir-Mega) (M) @ Pinsirite  
Ability: Hyper Cutter  
Level: 50  
Happiness: 0  
EVs: 44 HP / 188 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 244 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Frustration  
- Quick Attack  
- Swords Dance
- Protect

JFK'mon (Jolteon) (F) @ Life Orb  
Ability: Volt Absorb