Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Rains & Winds with Twists & Turns a Team's Tale.
Hi guys i am back with another post, another annoying RMT :P. hope this would be worth your time going through and in the end you will be leaving feedback on the build. i do want specific suggestions on some thing i would highlight other than the topics though ofcourse, cuz i really can't decide b/w. As the title suggests and you are smart enough you know this would be a mix of tailwind and rain, both archetypes i really wanted to build around for some time, and i finally did it with the best of my ability. Let's get started with the team:

Before we jump into heaps of confusion and quarrels of opinion:
Team type: Hyper offensive + Support (you will automatically know how)
Archetype: Rain (main theme) + Tailwind (mawile's torture chamber)
Playstyle of team: Surprise, offensive/speedy pressure.
Distinct core (quartz): Politoed, Kingdra, Zapdos, Mawile.

The Team:

[Image: politoed.gif]
Politoed @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 116 SpA / 60 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Helping Hand

* Heart of the Team*

. OHKO'es 4 HP salamence with ice beam.
. Takes -1 max adamant kangaskhan double edge.
. Survives adamant double edge from salamence.
. outspeeds sylveon :P the only one with this much investment.
. Wacan berry gives it a fighting chance against confident rotom-h/thundurus.

Ok let me get this straight, i will not be the person who uses rain dance on thundy-i on their rain teams. politoed brings something no one can automatic rain on the very first turn that no one would, setting up rain is dumb right? the EV spread was taken from smogon, i later did edited it around a bit to fit into the maximal attack survival spread, with something to afflict onto the meta too. Many people have wasted (sorry) politoed spreads, with surviving one or two common attacks and then sitting duck just poking the monstrosities around and maing them evn angry. i think the EV spread is the only reason i love it so much on the team.it's HP grass for rain mirrir match and gastrodon was replaced by helping hand as amoongus snatched a slot on the team. i also originally had sitrus berry but after soon realizing investing that heavily into the sp.atk lost it's bulk and i did observed going down to common electric type mons tho.

Damage calcs:
116+ SpA Politoed Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 172-204 (100.5 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
116+ SpA Politoed Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T in Rain: 188-224 (113.9 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Politoed: 168-198 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
-1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Politoed: 126-148 (63.9 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Politoed: 166-196 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Wacan Berry Politoed: 101-121 (51.2 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-W Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Wacan Berry Politoed: 102-121 (51.7 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

[Image: kingdra.gif]
Kingdra @ Wide Lens
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Muddy Water
- Protect
- Rain Dance

* Muscle of the team *

. Idk why were the EV's into HP, as 252 speed is probably a waste tho. suggest a bulkier kingdra set plz

Oh you know why is this pokemon here just to abuse the rain mode on my team. this slot is usually most expected on rain teams and are 100% guaranteed. many people do choose ludicolo over this slot i resented doing so as it did the same things i demand from a ludicolo, in addition to more damage. 1) being able to OHKO dragons; 2) being able to take down the fastest of the format lando-t, the third purpose of the usual ludicolo (countering opposing water types and enjoyably taken over by the loving zapdos). you may question alot of things like wide lenses and draco metoer, i did replaced the items b/w life orb to wide lens, seeing that these moves weren't 100% accurate and i missed them alot, it would be able to get huge chunks of damage off with the help of Poli's helping hand. the last up rain dance helps counter matches with sun going up soon after goes the (fast) rain dance, as the speeds shift turn two right? and zard-y's likeliness to shine is basically ruined.

Damage calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-W Thunderbolt vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Kingdra: 114-135 (73.5 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 72 SpD Hydreigon: 200-236 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 216-254 (126.3 - 148.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Kingdra Muddy Water vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran in Rain: 198-234 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

[Image: zapdos.gif]
Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 132 HP / 68 Atk / 4 Def / 188 SpA / 116 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunder
- Protect
- Drill Peck
- Tailwind

* Zapdos the punisher/ Thor's pet *

. Outspeeds max speed jolly breloom by one point.
. Life orb and STAB help to take out maximum from a drill peck.
. Naive nature helps reduction in attack/sp.atk and reduction of damage.

I got greedy soon after putting on politoed and kingdra for something more to come for the rain mode *psst! thunder/hurricane*, as now i had multiple ways of setting rain mode. ideas taken from Lee Provost's 2014 worlds team, thunder zapdos, was the base of this mon on the team. Zapdos helped out alot against the pokemons good in stalling out rain modes well, e.g politoed, suicune, ludicolo. I also choose i over things like tornadus, togekiss for multi-purpose things because it wasn't weak to electric typing, it also takes care of some grass typings like amoongus, breloom and even some mega venusaurs with the flying coverage. life orb helps add to the damage especially in such a mixed variant. Tailwind was the perfect speed control i wanted for my special mega-mawile.

Damage calcs:
68 Atk Life Orb Zapdos Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 212 Def Amoonguss: 120-143 (54.2 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
68 Atk Life Orb Zapdos Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 92 Def Mega Venusaur: 94-112 (50.2 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
68 Atk Life Orb Zapdos Drill Peck vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 281-333 (208.1 - 246.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
188 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunder vs. 252 HP / 68+ SpD Politoed: 198-234 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
68 Atk Life Orb Zapdos Drill Peck vs. 164 HP / 140+ Def Ludicolo: 120-143 (68.1 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
188 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Suicune: 151-179 (72.9 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

[Image: mawile-mega.gif]
Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 40 SpD / 132 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

* Mega of the team...... Duh! *

. Outspeeds mega salamence, behind tailwind by 1 point.
. Maximal attack for damage, rest dumped into EV's.
. Intimidate helps making some OHKO's against me into 2HKO'es.

Mawile would be the last member of the distinct core this team held and sure makes it a sturdy one though. i didn't minded at all taking these 4 to every matchup, else if anything else was needed. you probably would have gone to something looking more useful than a guy using wide lens, zapdos with drill peck and mawile with jolly nature. this idea is derived  from Ryosuke Kosuge's tailwind mega mawile with tailwind to outspeed 181 max speed lucario, i did the same in for the case of mega salamence, who do usually carry EQ nowadays. this is quite a simple mawile except the EV's invested and stuff. i noted mawile to often be a late game sweeper.

Damage calcs:
252 Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 222-264 (109.9 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Gardevoir: 242-288 (138.2 - 164.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 180 Def Tyranitar: 210-248 (101.4 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

[Image: amoonguss.gif]
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

* The backbone of the team *

. Survives adamant max atk kang's double edge.

Ok i'll be a copycat. i copied Aaron Zheng's Nationals amoongus as my team didn't had a chance to OHKO kangaskhans. Rocky helmet works greatly against fake out or other contact moves that are often used. this would be one of the most standard pokemons i will have on my teams. apart from redirecting away attacks from life orb, naive zapdos and a frailer mawile, it comes with the auto-checks against trick room too. it also helps greatly in countering swampert and gastrodon in the absense of ludicolo on my party. rain also helps it against fire type attacks.

Damage calcs:
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Amoonguss: 154-184 (69.6 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Amoonguss: 152-182 (68.7 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Amoonguss: 152-182 (68.7 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

[Image: malamar.gif]
Malamar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Topsy-Turvy

* Glue to the team *

. Outspeeds adamant max speed bisharp by one point.
. Survives standard kang's return by the chance of 12.5%.
. 2HKO's Aegislash, Amoongus.
. Lum berry helps against sttus moves like sleep and burn.

i discussed alot about it in a recent post. i decided to do so mainly how important it was to this whole team right? Malamar holds some ridiculous 4x weakness to bug but with my team handling the one's who use it well i am able to drive to it’s full potential. Malamar is essential to the whole team’s strategy it sets up with amoongus redirecting for it, or topsy turvey’s into troll set-up teams, mons like salamence or P-u-P mega kang. It also is the second physical attacker on the team and isn’t hindered at all by intimidates but takes em as an advantage. It was putted on for how well it takes down aegislash. Safety goggles was the original choice but lum berry helps out in more situations and aginst more strategies. It also helps against powder users with zapdos.

Damage calcs:
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 12 HP / 4 Def Malamar: 105-125 (64.4 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Malamar Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 180 Def Amoonguss: 114-134 (51.5 - 60.6%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 12 HP / 4 SpD Malamar: 102-120 (62.5 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 12 HP / 4 Def Malamar: 139-166 (85.2 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Malamar Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 120-142 (66.2 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 102-122 (61 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Recent thoughts:
so now i will be disscussing some of my recent thoughts after practice on the team, either this will completely ruin the team or make it better and i need suggestions. ferrothorn i understand can do work against me right? maybe i should replace malamar with aaron zheng's landorus-i with safety goggles who would do work against aegislash and grass types too also will be helping with scizor. but i am afraid that replacing malamar would collapse the wole team, considering the fact how well does this thing fits right in.

Battle videos:
Discover the mechanics of the overall team in battles if you think my English was bad, or you just don't trust me for some things:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle...-251673712

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle...-251703287

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle...-251704524

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle...-251709310

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle...-251711610

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle...-251713031

Conclusion:
Rate.
No! seriously rate the team, don't skip to another one after the read tho i need help too Smile hope i made this thin worth a read. Bye for now!
I'm going to share my thoughts about the team:

When i saw Wacan Berry Politoed i was like "he's using Sitrus Berry on another pokemon, so Wacan makes sense" but scrolling down the post i've noticed that you are not using Sitrus at all. I think that a Sitrus Berry could help you to stay around for more time. For example, with that bulky EV spread + Sitrus Berry you can survive a Double-Edge from M-Kang and a 252 SpA Gardevoir Hyper Voice is a 3HKO. Not bad imo.. since you also have a decent offensive potential.

Wide Lens Kingdra is not the best Kingdra.. both Draco Meteor and Muddy Water have a shaky accuracy but that is part of the game. You do have to rely on these moves as much as a Rotom-W relies on W-o-W / HydroPump for example. A damage boosting item on Kingdra helps you to get the most possible damage from any Muddy Water / Draco Meteor you are going to connect (and if you calculate a Helping Hand boost too.. the damage output is insane) so maybe a Life Orb might even work. For the EV spread i don't know.. usually Ludicolo hits a speed stat enough to outspeed a Scarfed Jolly Lando-T, so you may speed creep that stat by 1 more point if possible.

I gave LO to Kingdra so i would use Expert Belt on Zapdos. It still gets the same OHKOs or 2HKOs. Anyway Thunder is a risky move, due to the fact that without the Rain it has just 70% accuracy. In a weather war you can't rely much on this move. Drill Peck is an interesting choice by the way :P

Not much to say about M-Mawile, except for the fact that you may want to outspeed just the Virizion/Terrakion speed tier because M-Mence is not really a threat for this team and you have many options to OHKO it.

If your opponent has Gastrodon you are forced to bring Amoonguss, which is not the ideal pokemon for every match. I would use something like Ferrothorn in this slot, because it helps you against opposing Rain mirror matches, it gives you an important offensive Steel and Grass type support and you can set up the late game with Ferrothorn as your win condition in a lot of battles.

I don't know if Lum Berry is the best item on Malamar, cause you can just Superpower away your Atk drop easily. Maybe, and i say maybe, you can test an Assault Vest variant with Rock Slide coverage in its 4th slot. It can help against oppising M-CharY wars since you will tank 2 Heat Waves easily (go to +1 with Superpower while you setup Tailwind with Zapdos and you have a +1 Rock Slide outspeeding M-CharY). You may adjust the EV spread too if you are going to test AV, according to your preferences.

Good luck with this team :P
First of all thnx alot for writing such a detailed reply, secondly i feel like difference in playstyle and comfortability with different pokemons can vary over two people when it comes to suggestion and usage. Smile