Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] [S/M OU] Rain+Volt-Turn Hyper Offense
Hey guys, I made this team and it's really good. And fun. Mostly fun. But still pretty good. Let's get into it.

Note: this is for Pokébank OU. Sorry if there was any confusion about that.

Rain+Volt-Turn Hyper Offense

Garchomp Pelipper Kingdra
Greninja-ash Tapukoko Scizor-mega

Teambuilding process

Greninja-ash Tapukoko Scizor-mega

The team was built around the core of Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko and Mega Scizor since the are powerful, fast/have access to priority and have access to either Volt Switch or U-Turn, making it a very strong offensive core which can gain a lot of momentum quickly.

You can read more about this core here!

Pelipper Kingdra

I quickly realized that this core benefited a lot from rain; Greninja's Hydro Pump gets boosted by the rain, Tapu Koko can use a 100% accurate Thunder in the rain, and Scizor's fire weakness gets halved by the rain. Having that in mind, I added Pelipper as it has the Drizzle ability, which summons rain, and it also has access to U-Turn, completing the Volt-Turn core of my team. It is also the Defog user of my team. I also added a Kingdra since it appreciates the rain a lot since its Water moves get boosted by the rain. It has the ability Swift Swim, so its speed is doubled in the rain, which makes it incredibly useful since it deals with faster threats to my team.

Garchomp

Finally, I added Garchomp since it is good Stealth Rock user for offensive teams, and it just seemed to fit well on this team.

The Team In Depth

Garchomp

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Hazard Setter
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Garchomp is a fantastic Stealth Rock user for offensive teams; it has decent speed, so it doesn't make the team lose too much momentum, is still fairly strong even without any investment, and the Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin is super useful for these kinds of teams because it gets so much chip damage on physical attackers, and offensive teams always appreciate previous damage since it makes sweeping way easier. The moveset is very standard; Stealth Rock gets chip damage on the opposing team during the battle, Dragon Tail shuffles the opposing team around and makes it take Stealth Rock damage, Earthquake is a reliable STAB move that deals damage, and Fire Blast helps my matchup against Ferrothron (which horrible lol).
The EVs are standard too, but with 4 Speed EVs higher than the normal Tank Chomp to get the Dragon Tail first in a mirror match.

Pelipper

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Rain Setter
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Pelipper is a great Rain setter because it's really nice movepool; it has access to Defog to remove hazards for the team, Roost to stay alive longer and set up rain again, and U-Turn to get switch advantage, which is soooooo good for offensive teams. It also has access to Scald which is a great move because of the high chance to burn. Overall, it's a pretty obvious pick. The EV spread makes it as bulky as possible.

Kingdra

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Swift Swim Sweeper
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor

Kingdra is an amazing Pokémon under rain; it has very powerful STABs in Hydro Pump, which is boosted by the rain, and Draco Meteor, and it outspeeds nearly everything under rain because of its ability Swift Swim which doubles its Speed. It really helps the team's matchup against faster attackers such as Pheromosa and Tapu Koko, and it is also very strong with the Choice Specs and Modest nature (which it can afford to run because of the Swift Swim boost). Scald is a good option if you don't want to miss Hydro Pump, and Ice Beam hits Grass types for super effective damage. The EVs make it a bit faster than the usual Kingdra.

Greninja-ash

Greninja-Ash @ Life Orb
U-Turner #1
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Greninja is one of the strongest Pokémon in OU at the moment, boasting impressive Speed and Special Attack, and having it's strongest STAB move, Hydro Pump, boosted by the rain makes it an impressive sweeper/wallbreaker that can 2HKO nearly everything in the tier. It also has access to U-Turn, which helps the team gain momentum by providing switch advantage. Dark Pulse is a good secondary STAB move that is also very strong, and Ice Beam hits Grass types for super effective damage. The EVs make it as fast and strong as possible.

Tapukoko

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Volt Switcher
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Tapu Koko is a very fast attacker that can provide a lot of momentum for the team by getting extremely fast Volt Switches, and it also has access to a 100% accurate Thunder because of the rain. These moves are also boosted by Electric Terrain, making them a lot stronger than they would otherwise be. Dazzling Gleam is a nice secondary STAB move that can hit Dragon types, which could've been a problem to this team otherwise, and Grass Knot deals with fat Ground types such as Gastrodon and Mudsdale. The EVs make it fast and strong.

Scizor-mega

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Swords Dance Sweeper
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 56 Def / 124 SpD / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Scizor is a great Pokémon for this team, completing the Fairy/Dragon/Steel core, providing a set-up sweeper with Swords Dance, priority, and some very good bulk. It also has U-Turn, so even more momentum for the team, blah blah blah, you know what I'm saying. Bullet Punch is a strong STAB move, boosted by Technician, that has priority, Roost allows it to get reliable recovery and to stay healthy, and Swords Dance makes it a very scary sweeper. The EVs are calculated for something really specific, but I forgot what, so... yeah. Bulky/strong.

Importable:

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor

Greninja-Ash @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 56 Def / 124 SpD / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Threats

Tapukoko Tapulele Ferrothorn

Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele are big offensive threats, but Kingdra can somewhat handle Tapu Koko, and most of my things outspeed Lele, but I have no switch-ins. Ferrothorn is really annoying defensively, but Chomp+Greninja can somewhat handle it too.

Modifications

Magnezone Pheromosa

To deal with the threats mentioned and fix others issues with the team, Tapu Koko was replaced by AV Magnezone to check Tapu Koko/Lele and trap Ferrothorn while keeping the VoltTurn synergy. Scizor was replaced by Pheromosa since it can deal with Grass and Steel types that could be problematic while also keeping the VoltTurn synergy

Final Team+Importable

Garchomp Pelipper Kingdra
Greninja-ash Magnezone Pheromosa

Importable:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor

Greninja-Ash @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam

Hope you guys enjoyed this RMT, and let me know if you have any suggestions to improve this team. Feel free to ask me any questions too.
Elly, this team, water you doing?
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
oh yeah I forgot to say that: I'm considering swapping Koko for AV Magnezone to help with the threats I mentionned, so you can give feedback about that too.
(Dec 19, 2016, 08:50 PM)MudkipLegend Wrote: Elly, this team, water you doing?

ok
Really cool idea using VoltTurn in the rain to create more opportunities to bring in Kingdra and Ash-Greninja and I can imagine how Ash-Greninja will be 2HKOing Toxapex in the rain with Hydro Pump. I can see the team falling down in terms of matchups against Electric types, particularly ones that carry Hidden Power Ice for Garchomp so how do mirror matchups against VoltTurn usually turn out for this team? Not a huge fan of SD Scizor this generation due to Tapu Lele running around and how ineffective the set is against the new metagame that seems to be very resistant against Steel (well, 50/50 because a chunk of the new Pokemon are weak to BP). Honestly I would abandon the idea of DSF for this particular team since Garchomp is just here for the rocks and add Mega Heracross over Scizor and running a slightly bulkier set so it can take hits from Tapu Koko easier. Oh yeah, since you'll be adding Magnezone, you probably won't even need Scizor anymore!
[Insert signature here]
(Dec 20, 2016, 05:54 AM)Marcusube Wrote: Really cool idea using VoltTurn in the rain to create more opportunities to bring in Kingdra and Ash-Greninja and I can imagine how Ash-Greninja will be 2HKOing Toxapex in the rain with Hydro Pump. I can see the team falling down in terms of matchups against Electric types, particularly ones that carry Hidden Power Ice for Garchomp so how do mirror matchups against VoltTurn usually turn out for this team? Not a huge fan of SD Scizor this generation due to Tapu Lele running around and how ineffective the set is against the new metagame that seems to be very resistant against Steel (well, 50/50 because a chunk of the new Pokemon are weak to BP). Honestly I would abandon the idea of DSF for this particular team since Garchomp is just here for the rocks and add Mega Heracross over Scizor and running a slightly bulkier set so it can take hits from Tapu Koko easier. Oh yeah, since you'll be adding Magnezone, you probably won't even need Scizor anymore!

@Marcusube Thank you for your input! The team was definitely weak to Electric types, thus why I suggested AV Magnezone, which also helps with Ferrothorn and Tapu Lele. Mega-Heracross would be really good, it has always been great on rain teams, but the Heracronite is currently unavailable in S/M. If you have any other idea for a potential replacement for Scizor, I would gladly try it out.
pelipper can't learn defog in this gen and garchomp can't learn stealth rocks in this gen, what would you do in the slots?
@TheDancingRoserade I clearly said it's for Pokébank OU lol
(Dec 20, 2016, 06:49 AM)Elly Wrote:
(Dec 20, 2016, 05:54 AM)Marcusube Wrote: Really cool idea using VoltTurn in the rain to create more opportunities to bring in Kingdra and Ash-Greninja and I can imagine how Ash-Greninja will be 2HKOing Toxapex in the rain with Hydro Pump. I can see the team falling down in terms of matchups against Electric types, particularly ones that carry Hidden Power Ice for Garchomp so how do mirror matchups against VoltTurn usually turn out for this team? Not a huge fan of SD Scizor this generation due to Tapu Lele running around and how ineffective the set is against the new metagame that seems to be very resistant against Steel (well, 50/50 because a chunk of the new Pokemon are weak to BP). Honestly I would abandon the idea of DSF for this particular team since Garchomp is just here for the rocks and add Mega Heracross over Scizor and running a slightly bulkier set so it can take hits from Tapu Koko easier. Oh yeah, since you'll be adding Magnezone, you probably won't even need Scizor anymore!

@Marcusube Thank you for your input! The team was definitely weak to Electric types, thus why I suggested AV Magnezone, which also helps with Ferrothorn and Tapu Lele. Mega-Heracross would be really good, it has always been great on rain teams, but the Heracronite is currently unavailable in S/M. If you have any other idea for a potential replacement for Scizor, I would gladly try it out.

Oh right it slipped my mind that a bunch of Mega Stones aren't it S/M. Really, the team needs a form of Fighting STAB to deal with Pokemon that halt rain such as Ferrothorn but at the same time Bug STAB would've been good for dealing with Grass types. Just throwing out random ideas here since the dex is rather limited but maybe Oricorio-Sensu could work or a Flying type with a strong STAB Hurricane to take advantage of the rain and spam the move. I can see Drampa functioning as a slow wallbreaker but it will bring a Fighting weakness along with it and 3 Dragons may be overkill. I'm thinking that this team needs a strong wallbreaker that functions in the rain or a fast Pokemon that can spam a high damage move with no drawbacks
[Insert signature here]
@elly .-.