Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] Banette-Mega VGC2016
Hi,

Banette/Shuppet are like my mascottes and are never not part of my ideal team. I know Banette is not the most viable option for a VGC2016 team but I want to make him work if it's possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for possible builds?

Thanks in advance!
---------------------
“BLEH!” A sophisticated Shuppet.
Here's a good set for him.

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Claw
- Protect
- Trick Room

Here's a list of some good teammates for him.
Code:
Giratina-Origin +30.773%
Sableye +29.587%
Trevenant +29.199%
Aromatisse +26.970%
Hitmonchan +26.886%
Gengar +26.310%
Ho-Oh +21.256%
Aurorus +16.733%
Exeggutor +10.027%
Groudon-Primal +9.612%
Breloom +5.414%
Bisharp +3.807%
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.
The only way I see Banette functioning in VGC 16 is as a niche suicide Pokemon. Basically a set with Destiny Bond. You can run other moves such as Taunt, Disable, Swagger or Thunder Wave and if you have space, run an offensive move such as Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch or the lesser Shadow Claw. I say lesser because Banette pretty much gets OHKOd by everything in this meta. It is good in disrupting the opponent but it is flawed in the fact that its Prankster ability doesn't activate until the following turn which is what gives it its function

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 92 HP / 80 Atk / 212 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Protect
- Taunt/Disable
- Shadow Sneak/Gunk Shot/Shadow Claw/Thunder Wave

92/212 allows you to survive a +2 Timid Dazzling Gleam from Xerneas. 124 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed uninvested base 90s by one point and the rest of EVs are dumped into attack. If you choose to not run any attacks, you can dump the 80 EVs into defense, though it doesn't achieve any benchmarks.

Prankster Destiny Bond pretty much guarantees you a KO on an opposing Pokemon if they do not have any status inducing moves. You're obviously going to need Protect to scout as well as defend yourself for the first turn so you can fully utilize Prankster the following turns. Taunt stops Pokemon such as Smeargle, Crobat, Xerneas, Primal-Groudon (Rock Polish/Swords Dance set), Primal-Kyogre (Calm Mind set), Mega-Rayquaza (Swords Dance set) and Zapdos. It does not stop Talonflame or Thundurus-Incarnate from pulling their shenanigans - it's best to just switch out in this case. Disable is less useful but can be paired with an Encore user for more shenanigans. Aside from this, Disable only hurts choiced Pokemon. Shadow Sneak is a good means of chip damage to either clean up a remaining Pokemon at low HP or break a Focus Sash. Gunk Shot hits Xerneas but doesn't guarantee an OHKO

80+ Atk Mega Banette Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 170-200 (84.5 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Shadow Claw is Banette's most reliable STAB move (Phantom Force is too gimmicky) and Thunder Wave cripples the opposing Pokemon.

So yeah, Banette is solely a niche Pokemon in my eyes. I hope this doesn't discourage you from wanting to try it out though
[Insert signature here]
(Mar 8, 2016, 07:36 PM)Marcusube Wrote: The only way I see Banette functioning in VGC 16 is as a niche suicide Pokemon. Basically a set with Destiny Bond. You can run other moves such as Taunt, Disable, Swagger or Thunder Wave and if you have space, run an offensive move such as Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch or the lesser Shadow Claw. I say lesser because Banette pretty much gets OHKOd by everything in this meta. It is good in disrupting the opponent but it is flawed in the fact that its Prankster ability doesn't activate until the following turn which is what gives it its function

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 92 HP / 80 Atk / 212 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Protect
- Taunt/Disable
- Shadow Sneak/Gunk Shot/Shadow Claw/Thunder Wave

92/212 allows you to survive a +2 Timid Dazzling Gleam from Xerneas. 124 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed uninvested base 90s by one point and the rest of EVs are dumped into attack. If you choose to not run any attacks, you can dump the 80 EVs into defense, though it doesn't achieve any benchmarks.

Prankster Destiny Bond pretty much guarantees you a KO on an opposing Pokemon if they do not have any status inducing moves. You're obviously going to need Protect to scout as well as defend yourself for the first turn so you can fully utilize Prankster the following turns. Taunt stops Pokemon such as Smeargle, Crobat, Xerneas, Primal-Groudon (Rock Polish/Swords Dance set), Primal-Kyogre (Calm Mind set), Mega-Rayquaza (Swords Dance set) and Zapdos. It does not stop Talonflame or Thundurus-Incarnate from pulling their shenanigans - it's best to just switch out in this case. Disable is less useful but can be paired with an Encore user for more shenanigans. Aside from this, Disable only hurts choiced Pokemon. Shadow Sneak is a good means of chip damage to either clean up a remaining Pokemon at low HP or break a Focus Sash. Gunk Shot hits Xerneas but doesn't guarantee an OHKO

80+ Atk Mega Banette Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 170-200 (84.5 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Shadow Claw is Banette's most reliable STAB move (Phantom Force is too gimmicky) and Thunder Wave cripples the opposing Pokemon.

So yeah, Banette is solely a niche Pokemon in my eyes. I hope this doesn't discourage you from wanting to try it out though

Honestly I was thinking of trying out Snatch/Magic guard to disrupt Geomancy Xerneas, the occasional Dragon Dance and reflect Dark Void Smeargle, Hypnosis, Spore.

Also my Ferrothorn/Kangaskhan still get will-o-wisped occasionally.
---------------------
“BLEH!” A sophisticated Shuppet.
Snatch doesn't disrupt Geomancy, Dark Void, Hypnosis or Spore and I think you mean Magic Room not Magic Guard. These two moves are too gimmicky and situational
[Insert signature here]
Mega Banette gets access to Prankster Skill Swap, Destiny Bond and many other support moves but its low speed and lack of something like Mental Herb basically means it will get taunted first by every Thundurus, Whimsicott, Meowstic, Mental Herb Sableye and so on.