Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] I need help filling out this team
So after jumping back into VGC16 with both feet I have decided to work on a new team. I have been working on a Golduck core with some support for him since he can clean up Primal-Groudon and Mega-Rayquaza. So to start here is the build:

Golduck @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Cloud Nine  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Hydro Pump  
- Ice Beam  
- Encore  
- Protect

So here are some of the Dmg Calculations:

252 SpA Golduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 168-200 (93.8 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Golduck Ice Beam vs. -2 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 336-396 (187.7 - 221.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The reason that I have a -2 on the SpD for the second calc is because I could see the common partner for Golduck to be Liepard. I was planning on using Fake Tears with Liepard and with the focus sash on Golduck and Prankster Fake Tears Rayquaza would leave Golduck at 1hp and Rayquaza would be a OKHO

252 SpA Golduck Scald vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Primal Groudon: 192-228 (92.7 - 110.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Golduck Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Primal Groudon: 264-312 (127.5 - 150.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So I usually when I am doing dmg calcs I try to figure out what is the maximum the other pokes stats could be and I was impressed. I think that if you want to be safe with you accuracy you could use scald but I would rather have the guaranteed OHKO with Hydro Pump. If you pair this up with the upcoming Liepard and Fake Tears then you could stick with scald. Here is the dmg calc for that:

252 SpA Golduck Scald vs. -2 252 HP / 252 SpD Primal Groudon: 372-444 (179.7 - 214.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Finally the counter to Xerneas is the move Encore. I am hoping that this works. Xerneas is always going to be faster so you can encore them on the Geomancy. I think that you may be able to catch them off guard and get some free wins.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers  
Ability: Pressure  
EVs: 92 HP / 212 Atk / 156 Def / 44 SpD / 4 Spe  
Careful Nature  
- Brave Bird  
- Sacred Fire  
- Substitute  
- Recover

I got this set from Jon Hu from CybertronProductions VGC16 Team Analysis. His explanation is more than enough. You should watch the video if you haven't seen it. Here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGiQC2UbuU

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liepard @ Mental Herb  
Ability: Prankster  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Fake Out  
- Taunt  
- Foul Play  
- Fake Tears

The goal of Liepard is to make Golduck better. Either by playing Fake Tears support or the Taunt/Fake Out.

0 Atk Liepard Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Primal Groudon: 66-78 (31.8 - 37.6%) -- 85.5% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Liepard Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Primal Kyogre: 69-82 (33.3 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Liepard Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Rayquaza: 90-106 (49.7 - 58.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is the base. I have been trying to figure out what my Mega should be. I have no idea what would complement the team. I feel like I need a counter to Kyogre, need a form of speed control probably tailwind (maybe Crobat with Super Fang, Taunt, Quick Guard, Tailwind), and I am looking for an answer for Mega-Kang (needs to outspeed Jolly 252 kang).

So I was hoping for some help on picking the last three slots. I am not set on anything but I think that this base is a strong start.
I'm not great at building teams, but I can tell you your team is weak to Rock and Electric. So try to pick something out that resists those.
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.
Golduck @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Encore

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 92 HP / 212 Atk / 156 Def / 44 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Substitute
- Recover

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Origin Pulse
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Encore
- Endeavor
- Worry Seed

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Protect

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Tailwind

Something like this came to mind. Whimsicott gets access to Tailwind so Golduck can actually be fast enough to Encore Xerneas before getting OHKOd with prior chip damage plus Worry Seed cancels out other weathers so you don't need to rely on Golduck in every game. Endeavor does a decent 40% to each Primal in the game at full HP plus if you're down to your sash, that pulls them down to 1% HP as well. Kyogre under Tailwind is a threat with Water Spout. Ferrothorn for opposing Kyogre, Xerneas, etc plus it has key resistances and Salamence for fast offensive support and an option against Mega Rayquaza as well as the other dragons in the meta such as Palkia, Zekrom, Hydreigon and Kyurem-W

Haven't tested out this yet, so I'll leave that to you

If needs be, create more diverse spreads. At the time of posting this, I was in sort of a haste so I didn't have the time to run calcs and EV each Pokemon properly
[Insert signature here]
I can tell you that the team you made is weak to Flying, Rock, Electric, and Ice.
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.