Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] Need Some Information for a ROM Hack Idea
Question 
-Quote from me on another site, since nobody's replied to that subforum for over a week-

So I had a wild idea recently - a Pokemon Platinum ROM hack that would use very little from the original game - just the Pokemon, stats, typing (basic stuff, if ya get me), and the engine - and make the rest all unique. I'm thinking custom scripting, custom region that connects to every region from every Pokemon game from 5th gen and back. I basically want to make my own Pokemon game with Platinum as a base

But here's the issue: I have absolutely no clue if it's even possible. If it is, I don't know where to start. So here's what I need to know from the community:
1) Is this possible? If so, go to 2; else, go to 4
2) What limitations would I have, if any?
3) What tools would I need to do this? (end list)
4) What would I need to make a fan game this massive? Keep in mind that I'm nearly broke

Thank you!~
You can find me on YouTube, Steam, and Twitter if you need to
I doubt it's possible to make a full on hack of ~Platinum, as most actual hacks suck as vega or light platinum were made with the gen 3 engine.

If you really want to create what you wish, then you should definitely use the engine that was created for rpg maker xp (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/...tials_Wiki), this will allow you to create custom scripts and reigons etc.

You can buy rpg maker xp for £25 which will give you everything you need to create your game.

As for using the Platinum rom, i dont think that will be possible, so i do not know how useful/relevant i have been, but i hope i have helped slightly.
(Apr 8, 2016, 04:02 PM)Platinum2183 Wrote: I doubt it's possible to make a full on hack of ~Platinum, as most actual hacks suck as vega or light platinum were made with the gen 3 engine.

If you really want to create what you wish, then you should definitely use the engine that was created for rpg maker xp (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/...tials_Wiki), this will allow you to create custom scripts and reigons etc.

You can buy rpg maker xp for £25 which will give you everything you need to create your game.

As for using the Platinum rom, i dont think that will be possible, so i do not know how useful/relevant i have been, but i hope i have helped slightly.

You were helpful, just that I'm confused since plenty of gen IV modding tools exist - heck, someone's making this using HeartGold as a base

but I do get it. I might have to look into that. Are there any add-ons and whatnot that I could use to effectively begin with the stuff I mentioned earlier? Pokemon, types, stats, etc so that I don't have to do it all myself? Or does that come with Essentials?
Huh, well I was not aware of that. looks pretty cool.

By the looks of it most of the core stuff such as typing should already be in game, although i think gen 6 moves are added (but you can always remove them)

There might be some starter packs and whatnot so i would have a good look around to get used to things
(Apr 8, 2016, 04:28 PM)Platinum2183 Wrote: Huh, well I was not aware of that. looks pretty cool.

By the looks of it most of the core stuff such as typing should already be in game, although i think gen 6 moves are added (but you can always remove them)

There might be some starter packs and whatnot so i would have a good look around to get used to things

noted. thanks for the help