Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] VGC 2016 Team Suggestions
I only seriously got into competitive Pokémon late last year, but I've dedicated a lot of time to watching videos, learning tactics and playing for myself. However, I am far from an expert, so I was hoping for some guidance on my VGC 2016 team. I've been constructing teams with the VGC 2016 rules ever since they were announced and have been testing these teams out on Showdown and in competitions. It wasn't until only recently that I found a team with which I feel quite comfortable. However, it still needs improvements. I'll post the full sets below, but the team contains Gengar, Kangaskhan (Mega), Palkia, Groudon (Primal), Aegislash and Amoonguss. I have found that the overwhelming majority of the time I end up bringing Gengar, Kangaskhan, Palkia and Groudon, and leaving the other two behind. As it happens, I have been doing very well with just these four, but whenever I feel that one of them wouldn't fare very well and that I should bring either Aegislash or Amoonguss, I tend to do significantly worse with them, with some circumstantial exceptions. I'm certainly happy with the first four Pokémon that I mentioned, but I feel that the last two slots in my party could be used more efficiently. So, basically, if anyone has the time to read through my party Pokémon's sets and suggest any replacements or set changes for Aegislash and/or Amoonguss I would be very grateful for any help that you can offer me.

Here are the sets:

Palkia @ Life Orb
Moves: Protect, Earth Power, Spacial Rend, Thunder
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Speed
Nature: Timid

Groudon @ Red Orb
Moves: Protect, Earth Power, Overheat, Eruption
Ability: Drought

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Moves: Will-O-Wisp, Icy Wind, Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb
Ability: Levitate

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Moves: Low Kick, Fake Out, Sucker Punch, Double-Edge
Ability: Scrappy / Parental Bond
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Nature: Jolly

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Moves: Wide Guard, King's Shield, Flash Cannon, Shadow Ball
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
Nature: Quiet

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Moves: Protect, Rage Powder, Spore, Giga Drain
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP, 180 Def, 76 SpD
Nature: Relaxed

Thanks again for any help that anyone can offer me; it's much appreciated.
Mmm i've seen the Dialga/Groudon/M-Kang/Amoonguss core having success as a Trick Room team but you are running a fast Dialga and a fast Groudon.

I feel like you'll struggle against M-Mence and M-Ray since they outspeed and 2HKO anything you have. You can try a Thundurus to slow things down with TWave and to add a Taunt user in your team (especially because you don't run Taunt on your Gengar) which improves a lot your chances against Smeargle + Xerneas lead and against Talonflame and both M-Mence and M-Ray as i mentioned.

Something else i would consider is using Flamethrower instead of Overheat on P-Groudon and switch Amoonguss out in favour of Ferrothorn if you are going to replace your Aegislash with Thundurus.
I run TR Palkia, Groudon, Ferro and Cresselia, with Togekiss and Kangaskhan. Togekiss gives me a Tailwind option if TR won't work. I haven't tested it that extensively yet but my win rate is 4-1 at the moment. Hoping to improve it. I can confirm, Ferro is really good :p, and I don't need Amoonguss as Togekiss has the redirection option in Follow Me.

Not sure how much ^that helps.

Also GMX is right about Overheat because the -2 drop can be crippling if you can't switch, or have no switch ins for your opponent's team.

You could also consider a Skill Swap user (Gengar can learn it) which can be useful to reset the weather to Desolate Land if you're in a 2v2 situation against a Kyogre or Rayquaza, or a Cloud Nine Pokémon. :]
it's 2022 and we livin
Okay, I'll take all this into account. Thank you for your help!