Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Rate my Team please
I got wiped out last night in rated VGC battles. I would really appreciate some help on how to better my team. I try really hard to use Pokémon I like only, so you won’t see Rotom Wash or Landorous on my team cause I don’t really like them. I haven’t done much competitive battles since RSE, so my knowledge of the meta is limited to my hours watching YouTube VGC and WiFi battles. I feel like my team does much better in 6v6 format than the 3v3 VGC cause I haven’t lost a 6v6 WiFi battle yet

Raikou @ Air Balloon
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power(Ice)

Regice @ Icium Z
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Calm Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Hail
- Thunder Wave

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Machamp (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Barbaracle (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Chandelure (M) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
i don't play much vgc so i can't really help you there, but i noticed that you said you wanted to use pokémon you like and not pokémon like rotom-w or lando-t on your team. while that's completely fine, keep in mind that those pokémon are used because they provide a lot of advantages on teams, and that while you can definitely make a team with underdogs that works, you are kind of limiting yourself by choosing not to use those very advantageous pokémon and your team might suffer from that. with that being said, good luck with your team Smile

edit: also adding description of what each pokémon does for the team and how it complements the other members would certainly help other raters!
Thank you yung lord! I’ll work on a description of what my team members accomplish in the team definitely. I appreciate the advice a lot!
(Jan 3, 2018, 08:37 AM)UndeadMarowak Wrote: .I try really hard to use Pokémon I like only
So why are you looking for competitive advice? No pokèmon species are absolutely required to win a serious battle, but if you don't want to use any of the *insert a relevant number there depending on the tier you want to play in* best pokèmon you can't obtain good results.
(Jan 3, 2018, 08:37 AM)UndeadMarowak Wrote: I feel like my team does much better in 6v6 format than the 3v3 VGC cause I haven’t lost a 6v6 WiFi battle yet.
VGC is only 4vs4. Are you sure that's the tier you are interested in?
Unless I understand if that's right I can just give you general advice. First of all you don't have to report all your pokèmon's IVs, as we assume they are all 31. What is necessary is just specify if some of them are between 0 and 30. That can be particullary useful in some cases: a pokèmon wich can't deal physical damages ALWAYS need 0 Atk IVs in order to decrease Foul Play and Confusion damages, while sometimes you need less than 31 Spe IVs to be slower than someone else. Secondly telling where you put the last 2 EVs is pointless if not muddler, so you should replace "6 EVs" with "4 EVs". "0 EVs" is unuseful for the same reason of "31 IVs".

FE, that's the set of your Raikou.

Raikou @ Air Balloon
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power

I also add that HP's type must always be specified.
(Jan 3, 2018, 12:57 PM)Spyro190 Wrote:
(Jan 3, 2018, 08:37 AM)UndeadMarowak Wrote: .I try really hard to use Pokémon I like only
So why are you looking for competitive advice? No pokèmon species are absolutely required to win a serious battle, but if you don't want to use any of the *insert a relevant number there depending on the tier you want to play in* best pokèmon you can't obtain good results.
(Jan 3, 2018, 08:37 AM)UndeadMarowak Wrote: I feel like my team does much better in 6v6 format than the 3v3 VGC cause I haven’t lost a 6v6 WiFi battle yet.
VGC is only 4vs4. Are you sure that's the tier you are interested in?
Unless I understand if that's right I can just give you general advice. First of all you don't have to report all your pokèmon's IVs, as we assume they are all 31. What is necessary is just specify if some of them are between 0 and 30. That can be particullary useful in some cases: a pokèmon wich can't deal physical damages ALWAYS need 0 Atk IVs in order to decrease Foul Play and Confusion damages, while sometimes you need less than 31 Spe IVs to be slower than someone else. Secondly telling where you put the last 2 EVs is pointless if not muddler, so you should replace "6 EVs" with "4 EVs". "0 EVs" is unuseful for the same reason of "31 IVs".

FE, that's the set of your Raikou.

Raikou @ Air Balloon
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power

I also add that HP's type must always be specified.

Sorry about that. I exported the Team from an app I use to track my movesets. The website here doesn’t format well for mobile for me on my iPhone. I just exported it to email, made it easier to read, and pasted it in the first post. I also specified Raikou’s HP. Should be fixed now

I’m not against using some of the better Pokemon. I haven’t had good luck with Chandelure or Barbaracle, so I could try them on a different team maybe and put 2 better Pokémon on here. I’m 100% open to changing it and learning, I’m kinda starting at the beginning so I’m an open book. I really want to learn and take advice!

PS When I said VGC, I meant Rated Singles.
Do you mean Battle Spot Single?
(Jan 3, 2018, 04:04 PM)Theobroco Wrote: Do you mean Battle Spot Single?

Yeah

I will be doing VGC after I get comfortable in Rated Singles Battle Spot. Doubles is too much for me to try and learn at once now IMO
(Jan 3, 2018, 06:39 PM)UndeadMarowak Wrote: I will be doing VGC after I get comfortable in Rated Singles Battle Spot. Doubles is too much for me to try and learn at once now IMO
Well, VGC is usually played by newbies which need to learn how a battle works because it's a brainless tier without a justified banlist or an elaborated set of clauses, so everyone can play with its rules; but if you feel more comfortable starting in BSS it's ok, never mind.

Hippodown and Chandelure are quite good in BSS and Raikou has a very very (veryveryveryvery) little niche, but Machamp's outclassed by Buzzwole, which is rarely preferred to other Fighting types. (Pheromosa, Breloom, Blaziken, MBlaziken, MLopunny, MLucario...) Regice and Barbacle aren't better at all, and putting them in a BSS team seems a waste of slots. Said this, you should rebuild from the beginning starting with Hippodown or Chandelure, and maybe insert Raikou later if you need to pay attention to Thundurus, wich is basically the only reason to use it instead of Koko, Thundurus or Xurkitree. This isn't entirely improbable, as Hippodown rarely can do something vs a Flying type, particularly if equipped with Grass Knot and/or Nasty Plot, and ScarfChandelure doesn't outspeed it after Agility and risks being OHKOed after SR.
Whoa now, @Spyro190.

You're allowed to have your opinions, but using blanket statements like "played by newbies" and "it's a brainless tier" are targeted towards a very large part of the Pokémon community. I'm not the type of person to get irked by this, but someone far more aggressive than me could see this and start a fight in the thread with you over that.

Again, you're allowed your opinion, but please refrain from these kinds of scrutinizing generalizations in the future.

Thank you.

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

(Jan 3, 2018, 11:46 PM)0kamii Wrote: Whoa now, @Spyro190.

You're allowed to have your opinions, but using blanket statements like "played by newbies" and "it's a brainless tier" are targeted towards a very large part of the Pokémon community. I'm not the type of person to get irked by this, but someone far more aggressive than me could see this and start a fight in the thread with you over that.

Again, you're allowed your opinion, but please refrain from these kinds of scrutinizing generalizations in the future
Those are just facts. "This tier is played by newbies" doesn't mean "only newbies play this tier" and "brainless tier" doesn't correspond to "brainless players". But ok, if you absolutely wanted to act like ThE tYpE oF pErSoN tO gEt IrKeD bY tHiS and misunderstand all that can be misunderstood in a completely OT post you did well.