Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SHINY] Breed shiny bulbasaur
Hi everybody. I have a female shiny ivysaur that I'm trying to breed more shiny Bulbasaur. I've been trying to breed it with my male level 89 venusaur. I've bred about 20 Bulbasaur so far and none have been shiny. How can I breed shiny Bulbasaur? I thought the shiny gene would be passed onto the offspring or at least happen more often.
This only applies in pokemon crystal, and it's still roughly a 1/64 chance. Otherwise, you're looking at full odds if you don't have the shiny charm or one foreign parent
What is the best advice people can give me to breed a shiny bulbsaur? Just keep trying and it will eventually happen?
@cfencl 
Breeding a Shiny with another Pokémon does not increase your odds of the offspring being shiny. Sorry.

What you need to do is breed your Venusaur with another Bulbasaur/Venusaur that is from a different region. This, called masuda breeding, will increase your odds of getting a Shiny. The odds of getting a Shiny in Gen. 7 games are as follows:

Without Shiny charm: 1/683

With Shiny Charm: 1/512

Nonetheless, shinies are super rare. Even at full odds, it can take boxes of bred Pokémon before you finally get a shiny. It will take a long time. 

Hope this helps,
RetroTyphlosion
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
Make sure you have a foreign ditto, which you can get here, make sure to get the oval charm, you can get that by defeating the guy in the game freak office in Hea Hea, and make sure to get the shiny charm, you can get that by having all pokemon registered in your alola pokedex

I got my shiny venipede in about 3 1/2 boxes, around 110 eggs hatched
@cfencl The best advice for breeding a shiny in Gen 7 is no doubt RetroTyphlosion's!

One possible way of doing the Masuda method is breeding with a foreign Ditto, so you might want to check the Transform the World Giveaway by wightvoid and Tenebris_Kane.

In order to speed up the breeding process you should have a Pokemon with the ability Flame Body / Magma Armor in the party and stack it with Roto Hatch (USUM exclusive). Apparently you can hatch starter eggs in 45 seconds to a minute using this method.

To maximize your speed you can ride a Tauros and spin in front of the Day Care (while pressing B). One of the advantages of this method is that the Egg girl is in view (when she crosses her arms she has a new egg for you), and if you use Stoutland you can even spin with just one hand.
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~