Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SMOGON] [OUTDATED] [Singles] Alolan Ninetales Moveset - Offensive (Set-Up Sweeper/Utility)
O.o  !!   Cant wait to try this out. Need to get my friend to send me his vulpix already!! (he's still only at the second trial...)
I already have my alolan Sandshrew for him!
@Murkus nice Smile
Man, this thing paired with Alolan Sandslash will be pretty good in the early meta.
(Nov 23, 2016, 11:34 AM)Charlesd11 Wrote: Man, this thing paired with Alolan Sandslash will be pretty good in the early meta.

Definitely, gotta watch out for them Steel types though! @Charlesd11
(Nov 23, 2016, 11:52 AM)Elly Wrote:
(Nov 23, 2016, 11:34 AM)Charlesd11 Wrote: Man, this thing paired with Alolan Sandslash will be pretty good in the early meta.

Definitely, gotta watch out for them Steel types though! @Charlesd11

Well, that's why you have a team of 6! Also, A-Sandslash can lear EQ and steel moves are neutrally effective against it.
I'lltake this into consideration when catching Vulpix. This is a very good build!
(Nov 20, 2016, 04:07 AM)Elly Wrote:  
Ice/Fairy is a very nice STAB combination, with the only good switch-in for those being Steel types and, to an extent, bulky Water types.

I thought Fire resisted Fairy too ?

Most other weather inducers don't appreciate lyophilisation. You can also go double screen with the great Aurora Veil. Hidden power ground deserve a mention to hit grounded steel and fire and get Ice/Ground combo.
(Dec 13, 2016, 06:37 AM)Ruine211 Wrote:
(Nov 20, 2016, 04:07 AM)Elly Wrote:  
Ice/Fairy is a very nice STAB combination, with the only good switch-in for those being Steel types and, to an extent, bulky Water types.

I thought Fire resisted Fairy too ?

Most other weather inducers don't appreciate lyophilisation. You can also go double screen with the great Aurora Veil. Hidden power ground deserve a mention to hit grounded steel and fire and get Ice/Ground combo.

@Ruine211 Fire does resist, but the only relevant Fire type is Alolan Marowak, so I didn't feel like mentioning it. Aurora Veil is indeed a good option, though not as useful in Singles. Hidden Power Ground is really weak and doesn't deal enough damage to Fire types to be considered a solid option in my opinion.
Thank you for your quick reply. I wasn't sure someone would be so kind as to answer me, especially since my comment comes a bit late. 

I didn't know a-marowak was the only relevant fire type... Are fire types that underwhelming in 7G ? 

In my opinion due to its speed and good spdef, ninetales is good against types that do not hit too hard on the special side and against which the ice fox can retaliate with supereffective moves, typicallly water, grass, to a lesser extent special flying and dark. Dragons usually hit on the physical side too, and they have a high speed with DD or scarf so  I would choose a choice scarf to outspeed +1 dragons. Vulnerability to SR and priority moves overall seriously hurt it. It also hates prankster thunderwave.

I guess Ninetales can be fine as a nasty plot wallbreaker (with encore or substitute to counter chansey) but it seems to me very close to dead weight against the current  bulky offense (amarowak and celesteela kill it before it kills them, as you said there is only a 2HKO at +2) and offense (pheromosa, scarf dragons and tapu koko outspeed it).

As I am still discovering and not a great showdown player, there may be things I do not see...
@Ruine211 I can see it for Heatran. However, here is the calc against zard x:

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales-Alola Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 390-460 (131.3 - 154.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales-Alola Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 283-335 (95.2 - 112.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Feel free to not use what I suggest, but I feel like Hidden Power Ground isn't too useful, unlike HP Fire who hits both Ferrothorn and Scizor.

btw smogon is both singles and doubles lol