Poll: About what should be my next post?
This poll is closed.
0kamii's Top 5 Shiny Hunting Pokémon!
37.50%
3 37.50%
Which Region Do You Call Home?
62.50%
5 62.50%
You Got Me...I'm Addicted to World of Warcraft!
0%
0 0%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Which Pokémon is Your ʻAumākua?
[Image: 489d9af78fcc2deefb1128be2556dda97952291a_hq.jpg]
Hey, everybody...it's 0kamii. And this is the SECOND time I've had to write this stinkin' post...

Earlier today, at approximately 11:00am, I was nearing the completion of this post in its original stage. I was putting in a few final touches, including grammar editing and the classic 0kamii style bolding...when I stupidly hit the BACK button by mistake. The entire post was wiped out, rendering nearly three hours of typing nihil. Out of rage, I put off retyping this post until now, 8:00pm my time. So yeah, this post was supposed to go up WAY earlier today. But because of my foolish mistake and hesitation to face it, you're all only seeing it now. Nothing is as originally planned, and I'll be the first to admit that this is a fraction of what the post originally was. I had an in-depth explanation of ʻaumākua from relatives of Hawaiian descent, a long list of different ʻaumākua represented by pokémon in the Alola Dex, and even a detailed paragraph about why Decidueye is who I believe to be my pokémon ʻaumākua. However, because I'm still fuming over this morning, I'm just going to keep this one short...very short.

Which Pokémon is Your ʻAumākua?

An ʻaumākua (pn: ow-mah-koo-ah, pl: na ʻaumākua) is a guardian spirit in Hawaiian mythology said to watch over yourself and your family. They usually take the forms of animals, but there are some exceptions, as you'll see. The explanations of ʻaumākua I planned from family members, once half the page long, are going to be shortened to this:

My aunt's cousin, Leilani, knows that her ʻaumākua is a mo'o [lizard, dragon] because when her parents put her in her crib for the first time, a gecko was watching from the windowsill.

My other cousin, Kekai, believes that his ʻaumākua is a shark, a mano, because his mother took photos of him and herself at a beach shortly after he was born, and upon closer inspection saw a dorsal fin in the background of the picture.

Gees, I had entire teleplays written down for those this morning. Ugh. Oh, well. Don't cry over spilled milk, I suppose. Anyway, those are two accounts from two of my family members detailing their na ʻaumākua.

What is My ʻAumākua?
[Image: 7U1gmt.jpg]

I very briefly touched on this earlier, but my ʻaumākua is undoubtedly a pu'eo, an owl. Owls in Hawaiian culture are associated with protection, and intelligence. Not to brag, but I think I'm one of the most studious, analytical people I know, which is reflected in the owl to a tee. Also, I like to pretend that, since I put so much effort into find a Shiny Rowlet at the start of Sun and Moon that, the Decidueye protecting me is Shiny. I found him, so that he could find me. Kona, you are definitely my ʻaumākua, without a doubt.

Finding Your ʻAumākua!

This is the place where I origianlly had a massive list of various animals, what their pokémon equivalents were, and what each one represented. However, because I'm not in the mood to retype three hours of content, I'll just do a column of different Hawaiian animals, their names, what pokémon serves as its counterpart, and what trait is predominantly associated with them. So here you go! Remember, you don't choose your ʻaumākua, it chooses you! You may want a mano, or a pohaku, but you secretly have an ao, or an 'iole li'ili'i. Every ʻaumākua chose you for a reason, so don't deny it once you realize which one is yours, because odds are someone else with feel the exact same about which one you have!

List of ʻaumākua:

Honu - Turtle
[Image: torkoal.png]
Trait: Sovereignty

Pu'eo - Owl
[Image: decidueye.png]
Trait: Protection

Mano - Shark
[Image: garchomp.png]
Trait: Strength

'Alala - Crow
[Image: murkrow.png]
Trait: Self-esteem

'Io - Hawk
[Image: talonflame.png]
Trait: Ascension

Kohola - Whale
[Image: wailord.png]
Trait: Wisdom

Pe'ape'a - Bat
Crobat
Trait: Respect

'Anae - Mullet fish
[Image: wishiwashi-school.png]
Trait: Safety

Kala - Surgeonfish
[Image: lumineon.png]
Trait: Forgiveness

'Iole Li'ili'i - Mouse
[Image: togedemaru.png]
Trait: Graciousness

'Iole - Rat
Rattata-alola
Trait: Generosity

'Ilio - Dog
Lycanroc
Trait: Truth

Mo'o - Lizard, Dragon
[Image: kommo-o.png]
Trait: Independence

'Enuhe - Caterpillar
Caterpie
Trait: Kinship

Pohaku - Rock
[Image: gigalith.png]
Trait: Longevity

Leho - Cowry
Cloyster
Trait: Solidarity

Ao - Cloud
Drampa
Trait: Kindness

Mea Kanu - Plant
[Image: lilligant.png] [Image: whimsicott.png]
Trait: Serenity

Well, there. A very short, less interesting version of everything I typed earlier today in a very condensed format. Sorry for all the negativity in this post, but I'm still so antsy about losing my post earlier today. Does PokémonForever have a 'save' function for longer posts in the even of that exact situation? They should if they don't. Anyway, that's all for this post. Thank you all so much for reading. Link to the primary site I used, minus family stories, is below:

Hawaiian Spirit Animals: ⇒ (http://www.spiritanimal.info/hawaiian-spirit-animals/).

I'll be back on Monday with a new post. I think you'll all like this one. Rolleyes Make sure to let me know which ʻaumākua is yours in the comments below. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to dance with the devil while I edit...again. If you're reading this, it means I succeeded. Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

@0kamii  
I guess mine is Mea Kanu , a plant of serenity
Since I'm really calm at most most times , I'm one of those person that aren't troubled , I'm just a peaceful individual :D
@RetroTyphlosion Your comment made me laugh so hard, Retro. You don't have to quantify so many times that you're wise and that people shouldn't be jealous of that. Besides, wisdom often goes hand-in-hand with humility. Work on some of that, will you? Wink  But anyway, it's awesome that you have Wailord protecting you. Such a majestic creature. I hope it serves you and your ohana well for the rest of your days.

@Corrosion2424 Oh, so you're guarded by the mea kanu, eh? I included both because Hawai'i has a history of exporting cotton and flowers, so I couldn't decide which was more appropirate. Which do you think embodies you more accurately, Corrosion? Lilligant the flower, or Whimsicott the cotton plant? Either one would be so cool, methinks.

- 0kamii

@0kamii  I'd say mine is Whimsicott the cotton plant since lilligant isn't exactly me , I'm more of a whimsicott  Cool
@RetroTyphlosion That's just how @0kamii is.  He doesn't pull punches and he speaks his mind.  If you get so easily offended by stuff, then the internet may not be for you.

@0kamii It took me a while, but out of the ones listed my... spirit thing is probably 
'lo.  The hawk.  As much as I want it to be a fox, I'm so goddamn lucky that my trait can't be anything but ascension.  I know I don't deserve a lot of the things I have, and I still seem to keep climbing somehow out of shear luck.
alright lets not fight children @0kamii @RetroTyphlosion @LittleFoxS, if i see anymore of this i might have to do something so please go fight in pms or something because we don't need or want any of that on the forums. k thx bye.
@"écarlate" Thanks for stepping in. I'll drop the discussion immediately. I'd hate to see it get any uglier. I'll keep the topic on Hawaiian spirits.

- 0kamii

(Jul 10, 2017, 12:00 PM)0kamii Wrote: @"écarlate" Thanks for stepping in. I'll drop the discussion immediately. I'd hate to see it get any uglier. I'll keep the topic on Hawaiian spirits.

- 0kamii

I apologize for what I said. I have deleted the post.
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!