Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SUN/MOON] SOS Shiny Hunting Question
Hello all, 

For starters, I've had success finding shiny pokemon with the SOS chaining method in Moon many times so far. Currently, I'm trying to get a shiny Staryu through this method, one of my all-time favorite shiny pokemon. Typically with this method, I'm able to find a shiny within the first 200-250 calls (if not earlier). With Staryu, I was able to find a shiny after 201, but had the worst shiny fail I've ever encountered, and after putting it to sleep, I accidentily hit the button to run. 

Starting the next day, I began hunting again to reclaim that shiny Staryu. Since then, I've been in a single battle with Staryu thats now gone over 900 SOS calls. And no shiny Staryu  Sad

I know that after 70 calls, the odds of a shiny appearing triple, and after 255 total calls, the "chain" resets. Has anyone ever successfully gotten a shiny pokemon after the "chain" resets (but without exiting the battle)?

After 900 calls, its starting to seem like this battle can no longer produce a shiny Staryu. If anyone has ever encountered this before, I'd love to hear about it!
Hey, @shinybadger21! To answer your question, yes. I have gotten a Shiny after the chain resets without exiting the battle.

I made a whole thread about this, about the time I almost failed a Shiny Exeggcute, but still managed to catch it after 337 allies called. This was over the course of one very long grind. Same as you... 1 - 70, nothing. Then 71 - 255, nothing. Then the chain reset and I didn't get the full Shiny odds back until 325 consecutive Exeggcutes. However, my Shiny appeared at 337 allies. And again, this was one long continuous chain.

I don't know if that answered your question, but again, the short version is yes. I think it's possible to get a Shiny after a chain reset without exiting the battle. Personally, I think you were just a bit unlucky today. Undecided

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

@0kamii thanks for the response. 

I actually forgot to update/close the post, but I was able to reverse the bad luck and got my shiny Staryu after 992 SOS calls. It was the most gruelling shiny grind I've done using SOS, especially considering I had the shiny after 201 and messed up. In total, I saw two shiny Staryus after 1193 SOS calls.