Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[TCG] (Guide) How to create a consistent deck
(Im not sure whereabouts this thread would be, as it in TCG oriented, but also a Pokémon guide. )

Sup muppets, I figured since the TCG is one of my favourite hobbies, I'd give a bit of advice on making your own unique decks, instead of going off of deck lists online. They may not be the best, but as long as you can run it and have fun, that's all that matters.

1. Choosing a base

The first step in creating a consistent deck is to choose a base Pokémon to start from. Example are these are Pokémon with abilities, unique attacks , Pokemon EX or a combination of all 3. Its usually best to go for something that isn't too ambitious to start. In my example, I'm going to use Dugtrio from the XY base set.

Image:

[Image: 59.jpg]

As you can see, Dugtrio here isn't exactly the bulkiest of Pokémon, as it only has 90HP, and is a Stage 1 evolution to boot. It has no resistance, but has a pretty nice 1 retreat cost. You can't really expect it to stay on the field for more than 2 turns .

However, his first attack, earthquake, is an interesting one. For just 1 Fighting energy, you can smack an opponent for a great 60 damage, 120 with weakness. For 1 energy, that's an amazingly good attack.

The drawback to this attack is that each of your benched Pokémon take 10 damage after each use. This builds up over time, but we can turn this into a great advantage, which is why we're going to build our deck around that.

2. Supporting the leader

Next, you'll want to add a few supporting Pokémon that can work well with the base Pokémon you chose, be it through abilities, attacks, or any other reasons along those lines. A few of these you'll probably want to make main attackers, but it's always nice to have backups.

Let's go back to our example, as stated earlier, Dugtrio's 60 for 1 attack is nice, but hurts our bench. Let's take advantage of that.

There's an attack called Outrage that, in the TCG, pumps up your damage based on the amount of damage a Pokémon has taken. The most notable cards to have this attack are Zekrom from the Black & White base set, Reshiram from the same set, and Kyurem from Noble Victories, along with his slightly stronger EX Variant from Plasma Blast.

[Image: bw005-zekrom.jpg][Image: 4.jpg][Image: 34.jpg]

As you can see, they all possess the Outrage attack, but are different types. If your deck runs a lot of colourless attacks, or you feel like you could get away with adding one or two, its great to have Pokémon with differing types to take care of the bigger threats out right now, such as Yveltal EX and Landorus EX.

Because their attack cost can be fulfilled by attaching a single Double Colourless Energy, we should add another attacker to cover more threats as well as use a backup attacker. Because of this, Mewtwo EX will be a decent addition to our lineup. Jirachi EX will also be a nice card to have just in case our hand lacks Supporters.

So we have our base lineup ready. Time to move onto our Trainer cards.

(To be continued)
I have never played TCG, and have thought about giving it a try. This will be helpful if I do. Thanks!
I've been attempting to build a deck lately. Can't wait to read the rest of this!
Glad to see some interest already :D I'll get working on the rest later
This is great! I'll move it to guides buy keep a copy here as well!
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
Sounds good! Gotta get to a computer, it's awkward trying to edit to much text on a phone :p
I am someone who has been collecting Pokemon cards on and off again over the past few years and have been wanting to get back into playing so awesome guide will use it to build my next deck
I'll continue when I can! WoWs WoD launch has been a nightmare
(Nov 15, 2014, 06:45 PM)TotallyNotMikey Wrote: I'll continue when I can! WoWs WoD launch has been a nightmare

i've been seriously thinking about getting into the tcg again, when I was younger I used to just collect the cards and never play but now I want to start actually playing, anybody have a opinion on a good starter deck for the current set with my experience in most tcgs a certain starter deck sits above all other starters.
Great timing because I was just about to start collecting Pokemon cards again and creating decks