Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[TEAM REPORT] No Regrets: a very causual team report on my 1st Nationals Team
So I promised myself I’d make a report on this team, and how it did at U.S. Nationals.   Spoilers: Not a Day 2 Team :P but I had a lot of fun making and using it. I wish I could make a longer or nicer looking team report, but this what my crappy laptop and time allows. The teambuilding started in February, and I will retire the team after another online tourney or two. Some of of my goals are that readers consider different ways to use the following pokemon, and that they notice what could be expected at a National level. This team involves Speed Control, taking the enemy hit, and big damage!

Metagross-Mega
Ability: Tough Claws
Level: 50
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect
- Power-Up Punch

When I first made the team, this was surely the Mega I wanted to work with. Powerful, deceptively fast, and with a decent typing that people take for granted since it gained 2 weaknesses, M-gross is something to be feared. Steel/Psychic  STAB  seemed pretty standard, but most other moves seem pretty wildcard, among EQ, Ice punch, Hammer arm, etcetera.  I chose Power-up Punch for coverage and interesting damage calcs, along with nullifying some of the damage from burns. PUP combined with priority BP and base 90 Zen headbutt pulls of some pretty big damage. Jolly nature + 180 evs means outspeeding all the base 100’s, including M-Charizard and M-Kangaskhan (and Sucker Punch, with Bullet punch.) It would get good use at Nats, and as captain of the team, Metagross could struggle at times being the main target of attacks and status, but it did pull its own weight in terms of getting Kos and winning me matches. PUP had its fair amount of use, and +1 always means more hurt. It would seem like, compared to other big megas in Kang, Charizard, Salamence, Gardevoir, and Venusaur, that Metagross would be a good counter. Sadly, usage stats would tell you otherwise, as 0 metagross’ made even masters day 2. I hope that doesn’t discourage its use, because it has enough of every stat (including decent bulk) to be a very decent add/mega for a team.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe/ 6 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Endeavor
- Feint
- Overheat

This was the last addition to the team, and some will see this as the “gimmicky” one of the team. It may be true to a point, because Focus sash mon like this may start to become less popular in tournament play. Any pokemon that is basically a guaranteed 2HKO in neutral circumstances better benefit the battle before it’s too late. Even then, the use of Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet, and the ever present parental bond make it even more difficult. With that said, Infernape is sort of a spiritual successor to Talonflame, a very popular X/Y teammate who I put on many teams. Even with a 252 def set, Talonflame could be a wasted slot if knocked down early, only setting up tailwind or getting off 2HKO damage with LO brave bird. Infernape can do much more than this with it’s exceptional movepool. At 108 base speed, Infernape speedties Virizion/Terrakion, so these two should think twice about their matchup, fearing the consequences. 108 base speed also means one of the faster Fake Outs of the game, trailing behind Rain Ludi, Ambipom, Raichu, etc. By now you’ve noticed the FEARsome Sash/Endeavor combo. For unsuspecting opponents, this can be absolutely wallbreaking to have something tanky like suicune or cresselia or a mega taken all the way down to 1 mere hi point. This also works with Feint, over mach punch and Fighting STAB; surpasses protect/guard, +2 priority (think Extreme Speed), and deals at least 1hp. Feint can also be used generally for hard protect predicts and allow teammates to sneak a lethal hit in. Overheat provides as much damage as Infernape can deliver, and combined with the Blaze ability, this move can scorch the enemy with unexpected success.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Recover
- Icy Wind

A standard set for a beloved mon. Adding anti-intimidate to a team provides immediate results. Milotic replaced former teammate Suicune for being a bulky water-type speed-controller, without being dead weight. With maximum defense investment and enough in HP, Milotic’s defenses become very comparable, and it’s ability and decent Sp.Attack mean it can deal good damage as well. Recover is so helpful in this situation too, as Milotic can also be susceptible to double target. Overall, Milotic is very versatile in its uses, and is usually a good lead. Great defensives, minimal weaknesses, a special attack that goes 0-100, reliable recovery, burn chances, and speed control. Sounds like a good mon to me! There are a good amount of water-types in VGC, and milotic is one to seriously consider.

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tailwind
- Thunder Wave

This togekiss is a more offensive variation, rather than today’s tanky follow-me set. Would it have helped me out to use that kind of set? Perhaps, but this also may be predictable, and Togekiss is already susceptible to double target, like many on the team. This set allows Togekiss to take a decent shot and recover with its berry nonetheless. D-gleam and Air slash needed to deal the most damage possible considering weaker base power and spread damage. At this point, all I had was icy wind for milotic’s speed control, so I went with two more forms of control: the always popular Tailwind, and the single-target paralysis. I would find success with both, as some matches my team will need TW support to cruise to victory, while other times I needed parahax. In tourney play, I was luckiest with Togekiss.

Landorus-Therian @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 204 HP / 204 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

With almost 2/3rds of teams running Lando, youre either beating it or joining it. In my case, I wanted to find use of a non-choice set. When I went to regionals, one good tip I picked up was using Lum on at least something, with the amount of status that goes around in VGC. A Lum on Landorus means it can take a burn, a spore/DV, or even swagger. None of these situations popped up at Nationals, so ultimately this item was a wasted one. In retrospect, if it’s not choiced, it’s probably Assault vest or something with the newly exploited incarnate form.  Landorus did decent with hard hitting and it was great to be not choice locked, but knowing the item wasn’t put to use made this Lando-T feel inferior.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower

More offense? Yes, Please! While I usually dislike choice items, the power of specs Hydreigon and its natural pairing with Metagross couldn’t be ignored. Draco Meteor is power to the max, Dark Pulse is capable of OHKOs on Aegislash, Dragon Pulse is the hardest hitting move to lock into without receiving Draco’s stat drop, and flamethrower was picked over earth power to benefit from possible Sun and to hit fliers/levitators. Its natural bulk and resistances also made sure it wasn’t exactly a frail pokemon. Tailwind makes this one of the scariest to face.

Some other interesting facts:
-5 of the 6 pokemon has some form of causing flinch!
- 3 pokemon weak/resist ice, making switches interesting.
-Besides Suicune and Talonflame, M-Lucario and M-Lopunny were also former teammates! Lucario’s moveset became too much like Hydreigon’s (Dragon/Dark Pulse) and Lopunny was too fragile for a mega. Maybe I should’ve ran Teeter dance…

Okay, now on to the matches we had at Nationals! I will recall as much as necessary.
Just know that, no matter your experience, you should definitely try to make an event similar to this! The enviornment is very welcoming, and youll be surrounded by so much Pokemon, you'll feel right at home. Perhaps later I will upload some pictures! (Including me, cosplay, pikachu, and Flynn!)

Round 1- Pietre (PTU): Heatran, Rotom-W, M-Kang, Ferrothorn, Cresselia, Clefairy
This was an old college friend I used to practice with, so this first match was a pleasant surprise. Game 1 was in my control throughout, and it was the first and last time brought clefairy out, with my metagross being that threatful. Instead, his other tankier teammates took game 2 and 3. Game 2 was full of many back-and-forth hax, including his heatran being paralyzed three times in a row. Game 3 had a heatran switch and activiate flash fire, and I remember not being able to use hydreigon as effectively as I could’ve. Pietre would go on  to lose to Aaron Zheng in Round 3, and finish the tourney 3-6. Round 1 didn’t have too many game 3’s, so I could tell it was going to be a long day.
0-1.
Round 2: Kelly Johnson: Venusaur, Latios, M-Kang, Gardevior, Talonflame, Chandelure
Certainly didn’ want to lose this one and end up in a 0-2 hole. But looking at this team, there were holes that I exploited. Talonflame was fragile and didn’t do anything other than tailwind and brave bird as expected. Gardevoir didn’t match up well vs metagross. But chandelure did, as flamethrowers were OHKO. I learned this choking game 2. But luckily game 3 was won by paralyzing the two leads. Latios made an appearance but only revealed toxic and leftovers before going to waste. I was reminded of the very threatning chandelure, but I escaped round 2 with my first Nationals win.
1-1.
Round 3: Cory M.: Amoongus, Milotic, Zapdos, Heatran, M-Kang, Lando-T
A lot of the standards you see today, but very well laid out. Milotic, Zapdos, and Kangaskhan turned out to make a great core. Infernape in this matchup was a waste, but I also liked the bulk presented by Togekiss, my own milotic, and hydreigon. My team’s matchup against his own milotic wasn’t that good however, as Hydreigon is the best bet in dealing it the most damage. A burn on metagross game 2 ensured my defeat, although PUP was a sort of remedy.
1-2.
Round 4: Scott Morris: Politoed, Ludicolo, Goodra, Terrakion, M-Banette, Ferrothorn
Possible rainroom!? I knew getting into this match that rain alone would have to be played around. On paper my matchup against rain isn’t good, but I had a couple strategies in predicting what Scott was going to do. Game 1 didn’t go well, with his bulkier grass-types being the last ones remaining. Game 2, with dream of day 2 on the line, was when I needed to make the right moves. I was able to do so, by paralyzing Ludi, stalling out rain, and getting a OHKO on ferrothorn IN RAIN with Infernape! My jaw dropped when this happened, and helped lead the team to game 3. A first turn mispredict led to him taking a early 2-4 lead. His poli/ludi lead was scarier than most others, when combining Helping Hand wih Life orb ludicolo. I recommend that to anyone who’s thinking about that rain duo. I could’ve made better plays, but with one game between 1-3 and 2-2, the mind games were real.
1-3.
Round 5: Jose: M-Venusaur, Suicune, Lando-T, Terrakion, Latios, Thundurus
What I called the “After-salt” rounds, This was a pretty easy set win for me. I picked up a lot of flinches  and crits in game 1, and my matchup was better overall. Jose was running some interesting stuff like Specs Latios and Rocky Helmet suicune, but none of it could do much to Metagross or even infernape. Ending round 5 swiftly gave me freedom to sit down front row and watch the first streamed match of Zheng vs Swagger.  Really good in person!
2-3.
Round 6: Nate: Lando-T, M-Mawile, Gastrodon, Raikou, Sylveon, M-Charizard (Y)
Game 1 was a throwaway lost for my opponent. Mawile AND Lando leading against my milotic wasn’t the brightest idea. He didn’t even protect the next turn against his own EQ…..it’s been a very long day thus far. Next game he put himself in a better position, with Sun and Tailwind support, but I was able to close up another Game 2. Sylveon and Landorus were the only pulling weight on this guy’s team it seemed. I distinctly remember hitting his Lando with overheat, in sun, crit hit, with Blaze. Thinking about THAT calc makes my head spin.  2 came down to Metagross vs Life Orb Raikou, but his more defensive set was outsped by my M-gross, so Zen Headbutt was GG when his Raikou could’ve been faster and landed a shadow ball.
3-3.
Round 7: Dane Z: Blaziken, Gastrodon, M-Salamance, Sylveon, Aegislash, Thundurus
This was the downfall of the tourney. Game 1, I had a mental slip on Storm Drain, and without enough time to recover, Game 2 was already having me on an uphill battle. His blaziken thought it was safe with it’s turn 1 protect for a free speed boost, but I made the hard predict with feint/air slash, providing me momentum and helping me win game 2. Togekiss was all over in that match, also landing an important paralysis status on his Aegislash. Game 3, I lose via misplay, which is frusraing to think back on. Even double targeting on a turn, I was not able to do enough damage to knock out sylveon, allowing it to hyper voice and land KOs. His Salamance and Aegislash were able to clean house.
3-4.
Round 8: Jordan Vanderzwagg: Gengar, Conkeldurr, M-Charizard, Zapdos, Lando-T, Ferrothorn.
I do not remember much from this match-up, but wide guard/sitrius berry conkeldurr had me in a real twist, along with moves not being revealed until game 3, a solid strategy. Game 2 ended up with a 1v1 match in my favor, but I was simply outplayed on game 3. Best of 3 experience was being gained, but it was clear I needed more of it to be successful in future tourneys.
3-5.
Round 9: Grant Weldon: M-Kang, Sylveon, Breeloom, Suicune, Heatran, Landorus-T
By now, we were all ready to go home. Aaron Zheng couldn’t survive the drag of the day either, as his only day 1 loss came from round 9. Game 1 went his way, Game 2 went mine, as I able to take out his pesky threates early on. He revealed Assault Vest Landorus, which I mentioned outclassed my lum berry. Game 3 was decided by 1hp, As I became trapped in a 50hp Megagross vs Sylveon and broken-sash Breloom situation. Single target Hyper voice would KO, but so would Spore/Mach Punch. I took my chances against sleep and lost.
3-6, 11 wins / 13 losses

So I tanked at the end. It would seem like I would leave Indy with a head lowered, disappointment in the team I worked months to put together and practice with, but this is very much not the case. What’s important is that all the pokemon on my team had their shining moment, and that the wins I picked up in a national tournament vs national competition were earned. It is first year competing, so I cut myself a bit of slack. Besides, RNG for the most part was NOT on my side today (only 2 scald burns!) and though misplays are common amongst everyone, it is something I can improve over time. Nationals was great experience that will only make me a better player in the future! I hope this little report was entertaining even in the slightest, and that it may stir thoughts in your head to make you a better player as well.
Sounds like you had a blast! I'm really jealous, I'd love to take part in a large tournament but alas... I'd have to go to either England or Germany to do so and it's hard to justify that with my budget.

There are always online tournaments, I suppose. But I'm not very fond of those.
Nice team report! Smile I faced you on battle spot a while ago with that team :P You got destroyed Wink PWRG-WWWW-WW2B-U6NN This is you right?
That moveset on M-Metagross Kappa I prefer the Sub set but i can see the reasons behind PuP + Bullet Punch being a good combination.

Overall an interesting and well built team.

PS: Infernape is really popular in Japan because of its ability to OHKO threats with Overheat/Close Combat while supporting the partner with Fake Out/Feint/Quick Guard.. Endeavor makes sense on your Infernape because you absolutely need something to deal with Suicune and Milotic (you can't hit them for supereffective damage otherwise).
(Jul 12, 2015, 01:49 AM)Willem Wrote: Nice team report! Smile I faced you on battle spot a while ago with that team  :P You got destroyed Wink PWRG-WWWW-WW2B-U6NN This is you right?

Yes, I did not play well against your team. :P I was well away from any win condition. You had the game as soon as you declared speed control. Better players always refrain from going mega with Kang when fake out approaches. On Battle Spot my team was able to reach into 1700's.
I didnt see this team EagleEye Kappa
Never Give Up! - Densest Anime Protagonist of the Century

Forum Ninja
#PopplioDefenseSquad