Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Magmar Set - Redirection Support
The Duck has emerged!
[Image: magmar_by_mizu_kuroneko-d3j6t9u.png]

Hi guys i am back with another post, and this time putting forth a pokemon whose's hype was on out minds for quite some time by now. Yes it would be a follow me magmar now, finally allowed to be used in official play alongside the surge of what the no-pentagon rule brings. the showdown ladder, and i am sure the offficial one is also crowded with all sorts of gimmicky or method-strategy teams and no one has quite gotten a grip, so if you want a taste of the duck's power, stick along with this post. this would be my first time doing these types of posts, so plz point out if i am making a fault, let's get started!

[Image: magmar-color.png]
Typing: Fire
Stats: 65 HP / 95 Atk / 57 Def / 100 SAtk / 83 SDef / 93 Spd
Weaknesses: Water, Rock, Ground
Immunity: Burn status (fire typing)
Resistances: Bug, Steel, Fire, Grass, Ice, Fairy
Neutral: Normal, Fighting, Flying, Poison, Ghost, Electric, Psychic, Dragon, Dark
Style: Support
Variant: Redirection, Status
Abilities: Flame body, Vital Spirit

Overview:
Magmar is the stupidest looking pokemon, until u start loving to use it, especially with the gift of follow me adding to more redirections on the format, magmar is the one to shine the most in my opinion. it has alot of things that it can bring against the metagame. holding such amazing stats only in it's first stage of evolution, whence paired up with an eviolite is even better. Magmar is a pokemon that also gets a wide movepool of good supportive moves, in addition to the follow me reason being the main focus, which means it can take out other threats to. Magmar has got quite some weaknesses but covering these up with an intimidate support or ome other support mon to handle these, can make magmar really shine through. the only downfall in it's usage can be excessive use of heatran (the best counter) and landorus, who can threaten it with powerful rock and ground attacks, in addition to the relatively low physical defense it has and the pressure of spread damage that negates follow me.

Magmar set : (only 1, lol....)

[Image: magmar.gif]
Magmar @ Eviolite  
Ability: Flame Body
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 12 SpD / 76 Spe  
Bold Nature  
- Follow Me  
- Protect  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Flamethrower

So this would be the first set i planned on using this pokemon, it does alot of things at once as i will explain what is it's viability. Magmar can be a pokemon invested in 'all bulk' however that will make it loose a very important benchmark and threat to itself. i specially EV'd it to outspeed adamant max speed bisharps by one point, which may seem weird at first, however bisharp is a pokemon that can knock off it's eviolite, so i did so, to maybe burn this variant, or even flamethrower it, depending on the item confirmation/knowledge you have. so there goes that. now for the defensive investment, almost all went into the somewhat terrible physical defense, the rest was distributed to sp.def and then to avoid a waste of EV's 4 leftovers was added to the sp.atk stat. The moveset is simple, which would be follow me *standard* and then protect, as most pokemon come for their conservation, who redirect, e.g pachirisu, amoongus, etc, then comes the will-o-wisp so that it can punish physical attackers even further and be more bulkier, the last slot is chosen for flamethrower so that it can counter things like aegislash, amoongus, ferrothorn, scizor and even brelooms in matches. it has the amazing vital spirit ability that i choose to counter the deadly sleeping tactics like spore, from amoongus and breloom and even dark void smeargle is now waved a goodbye. Dreams were crushed and soon the post was edited; i'll sob in the corner of my room, cuz apparently, magmar can't get dem's vital spirit with it's HA 'vital spirit' though flame body for a physical wall and redirectioner isn't too shabby. So his was it for the set

-1 196+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Eviolite Magmar: 150-176 (87.2 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Eviolite Magmar: 94-112 (54.6 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Eviolite Magmar: 140-168 (81.3 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magmar: 88-104 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Eviolite Magmar: 70-84 (40.6 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Politoed Scald vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Magmar in Rain: 134-162 (77.9 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Magmar: 63-75 (36.6 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Eviolite Magmar: 96-114 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Eviolite Magmar: 126-148 (73.2 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Magmar: 159-190 (92.4 - 110.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Ludicolo Scald vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Magmar in Rain: 134-162 (77.9 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Eviolite Magmar: 109-129 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
*dem's bulk!*

Other move options:

1) Helping hand (more support)
2) Overheat (more damage to aegi, amoongus, etc)
3) Low Kick (tyranitar, bisharp, heatran, speed control)
4) Mach punch (see above, except speed control, sash breaking)
5) Confusion ray (why not)

Conclusion:
so here this post comes to an end,hope you enjoyed reading through my first, pokemon build post, if i am doing something wrong here plz point out the flaws and i will be fixing them soon, Hope u got to experience something from magmar's potential. Bye for now!
hmmmm....very very interesting pokemon choice but to be honest a pokemon that sucks can't ever rise that far to get back into the big boys league again.
gamefreak has made tooo many unfair pokemon waiting to be banned by smogon and me making some stupid thread on why that pokemon shouldn't be banned.i just looked at my hour play and i played for 397 days!what i could have done for that year!seriously these guys need to get a real life and job and stop living at their parents house.

k anyway back to magmar what do you think will happen if this guy gets taunted?think he'll be able to do any good in a team?
This is probably Magmar's best set and EV spread considering that you are achieving many interesting benchmarks, well done.

I'd like to mention that Flame Body should be its first choice ability considering that it poses a threat to every physical attacker (mostly named M-Kangaskhan, with an overall 51% chance of being burned), which is really important in this meta. However, as you said, if your team doesn't have a solid answer to Amoonguss under Trick Room or DV Smeargle, maybe Vital Spirit can also be considered.

PS: watch out for Heatran, because this set can't even touch it.
I didn't think you could have a ha follow me magmar
(Sep 17, 2015, 03:08 AM)terrorkid94 Wrote: I didn't think you could have a ha follow me magmar

Very true, the purified XD pokemon only have their regular abilities. Apart from that, nice set.