Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[TUTORIAL] Pokemon Shiny Hunting Tips!
Can't seem to get the shiny you want or your shiny ends up fainting? Well these tips just might save the day and make you more aware of what to look out for and what you can do to gurentee yourself a shiny!

1. Sweet Scenter
Most of you will probably already know this, but in generation 6 only, there is a new mechanic called Horde battles. 5 Pokemon at once! It drastically increases your shiny odds! Using sweet scent, or the item honey, you can get a horde battle basically everytime! But if you want to save money, find a Oddish, they are quite easy to catch, but in Pokemon X and Y, do be aware that sweet scent won't work when it's raining.

2. Static
Looking for an electric type Pokemon? Have a Pokemon with static in your party, it will increase your chances of finding more electric type pokemon!

3. Magnet Pull
Steel types? With the Pokemon with the ability Magnet Pull, it will increase the odds of finding a steel type, along with preventing the Pokemon from running away!

4. Suction Cups
Another obvious tip, this time for fishing! Suction cups will give you increased odds of landing a fish everytime you cast your rod, great for chain fishing!

5. Damp
The ability Damp will come a long way when you're hunting for that shiny Pokemon that has self destruct. Damp will prevent the move from being used! I have recently heard that someone did lose a shiny Voltorb because of self destruct. :c

6. Air Balloon
"My shiny geodude got killed by the other geodude!"
I've heard that before, after I saw a neat trick. Have a Pokemon with an air balloon and bestow, use bestow on the shiny geodude to give it the air balloon. Now it won't get hurt by earthquake or Magnitude! Neat right? <:

7. Cute Charm
Wanting a specific gender for your Pokemon? Well cute charm is for you! If you want a male or female, have a cute charmer in the front of your party. A male cute charmer will attract females, and female charmers will attract males. Simple right?

8. Illuminate/Arena Trap
Can't seem to encounter Pokemon fast enough? These abilities will boost your encounter rates by almost 200%. Just have the Pokemon in the front of your party, and have it hold a smoke ball (optional if it's a low leveled Pokemon). Arena trap also prevent every Pokemon (except flying types) from escaping.

9. Masuda Method
This one is fairly simple, have a Pokemon of a different country (recommend a 6 iv japanease ditto with destiny knot) and any other Pokemon you want to breed it with. This will give you a 1 in 600 chance of getting a shiny without the shiny charm, or a 1/512 chance of the egg being a shiny with the shiny charm.

10. Shiny charm
May I need to say more? You get the shiny charm after completing the national dex, increasing your chances x3 for a shiny!

11. Magic Guard + Skill Swap
This is a more recent one, hunting for a Pokemon that has recoil damage moves? Use Skill swap with a Pokemon that has Magic Guard! This will make the wild Pokemon's recoil nonexsistant. It does not affect Struggle however. Recommend using Alakazam.

Got any other suggestions? Leave a reply! I may add it to the list! <:
Just some fairly obvious ones:

get the shiny charm by completing the pokedex. It helps.

Masuda method, which is breeding a pokemon with another pokemon from a different region (japanese ditto's are, of course, the best).

The Pokeradar chain does NOT affect your chances of encountering a shiny. you're just as likely to get one at chain 20 as you are at chain 200.
awesome tips, thanks for sharing!
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
(Jan 25, 2016, 12:44 AM)Justin Wrote: awesome tips, thanks for sharing!

Omg, and thank you for the compliment!
I've heard a lot about you, and it surely is an honer that you happened to see this.. ^-^
Well, for me...
I have no patience.
I run around for shiny Pokemon and after my 25th encounter...
I quit.
The sweet scent trick will help me a ton! Thank you so much!
so then whats the fastest/easiest method to catch a shiny pokemon
Pokeradar affects your shiny chances up to a chain of 40 for 1/200. The easiest is probably Friend Safari, the most efficient I would say is Fishing.
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.
(Feb 25, 2016, 01:42 AM)sephir66 Wrote: so then whats the fastest/easiest method to catch a shiny pokemon

Chain fishing ofc! And have net and dive balls prepared!
(Feb 25, 2016, 01:42 AM)sephir66 Wrote: so then whats the fastest/easiest method to catch a shiny pokemon
There really isn't one. If anything its the masuda method because its easier to get a japanese/any Pokemon not from your region, but even then that takes a while. Shiny Pokemon are meant to be a grueling task, but the reward is amazing because you took your time and you had patience to go out and get it. And much like PinkFreakCrystal said, fish chaining is a fast/easiest way, but its not guaranteed. Take for instance this, I have fish chained for about 75 or so and still didn't get one and it was the easiest Pokemon to fish for: magikarp, hence is why I don't think there is any fast way to do so, your chances of getting one is about the same across the board, or at least in my experiences.
Pokemon trainer since 2004!
Just to let you know. The Masuda Method gives you a 1/1024 chance of getting a shiny, not 1/600. 1/1024 without Shiny charm, 1/512 with.