Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

VGC 2015 Question
So yeah, hopefully my first post isn't completely off base but I have a question.

I have been reading up the rules for 2015 and trying to sort out exactly what can and cannot be used in the format. The things I am most confused about is moves and pokemon allowed. I have seen a few references here and there about it, but they confuse me when compared to the posted rules. I guess my two big questions are:

When they say "Players may use Pokémon from the National Pokédex, from No. 001–719, that are caught in the
game, transferred from a previous Pokémon title, or received at an official event or distribution" with the exceptions of "The following Pokémon may not be on a player’s team: <insert list of legionaries>" does that mean anything else goes? I keep hearing about this list of pokemon without Kalos numbers being a thing, or "can't be from pokesafari" is a thing, but that was for the X/Y game rules and not the Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire rules right?

The second part of my question is about moves:

"Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
o By leveling up
o By TM or HM
o As an Egg Move, through breeding
o From a character in the game
o A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion"

I have heard Move tutor moves were not allowed, but that is from a character in game, so not sure which it is.

I know this is a big post, but I have been bouncing all over trying to find info to confirm these things. Thank you in advance for whoever answers these.
Every pokemon is allowed except for: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde e Diancie.

Howewer there is also an additional rule: the pokemon must have the Blue Pentagon, to prove it is Kalos or OR/AS born (a pokemon transfered from B2/W2 cannot be used because it doesn't have the symbol required - plus it must have a max total of 510 EV to be considered legit)

"Only Pokémon obtained through normal play or received as a gift from an official event or promotion with Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Omega Ruby, and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire may participate."

As for the Move tutor thing, you can use Move tutor moves because they exists in OR/AS, while in X/Y it wasn't allowed because Move tutors moves came from B2/W2 and those pokemons, as i said before, don't have the blue pentagon (ex. you can teach Icy Wind to Gengar in Battle Resort, and you can use Gengar in Battle Spot without problems)

I hope i've made myself clear.
(Apr 10, 2015, 01:17 PM)GMX Wrote: Every pokemon is allowed except for: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde e Diancie.

Howewer there is also an additional rule: the pokemon must have the Blue Pentagon, to prove it is Kalos or OR/AS born (a pokemon transfered from B2/W2 cannot be used because it doesn't have the symbol required).

"Only Pokémon obtained through normal play or received as a gift from an official event or promotion with Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Omega Ruby, and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire may participate."

As for the Move tutor thing, you can use Move tutor moves because they exists in OR/AS, while in X/Y it wasn't allowed because Move tutors moves came from B2/W2 and those pokemons, as i said before, don't have the blue pentagon (ex. you can teach Icy Wind to Gengar in Battle Resort, and you can use Gengar in Battle Spot without problems)

yay, I am not crazy, thanks for the info. Now to pick 6 out of the 700 some choices C:
(Apr 10, 2015, 01:20 PM)Tyrenon Wrote:
(Apr 10, 2015, 01:17 PM)GMX Wrote: Every pokemon is allowed except for: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde e Diancie.

Howewer there is also an additional rule: the pokemon must have the Blue Pentagon, to prove it is Kalos or OR/AS born (a pokemon transfered from B2/W2 cannot be used because it doesn't have the symbol required).

yay, I am not crazy, thanks for the info.  Now to pick 6 out of the 700 some choices C:

This page can help you. You can see the top used pokemons, their most used moves, items and much more, so that you can have a general idea of what kind of teams and pokemon you should be prepared to.
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/#double