Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Cradilly Moveset - Offensive Support (Tank)
[Image: cradily_by_bluekomadori-d8pf96l.jpg]
Credit to Bluekomadori

PRAISE HEEeee.......ROOT FOSSIL! Omanyte is nothing compared to this monster, Cradilly is a Offensive Support Pokemon able to protect his allies with his ability Storm Drain, while also dealing with some threats in the metagame. Dont let his derpy appearance fool you, this beast of the sea is something to be afraid of.

[Image: 346.gif]
Type: Rock/Grass
Base Stats: 86 HP / 81 Atk / 97 Def / 81 SpAtk / 107 SpDef / 43 Spe
Weaknesses: Ice (2x), Fighting (2x), Bug (2x), Steel (2x)
Resistances: Normal (.5x), Electric (.5x)
Immunities: N/A
Abilities:
  • Suction Cups: Negates moves that force switching out.
    ]*]Storm Drain: Water-type moves are drawn to this Pokémon. Water-type moves will do no damage and the Pokémon's SP ATK is raised one stage

Cradilly Moveset - Offensive Support (Tank)

[Image: 346.gif]
Cradily @ Leftovers  
Ability: Storm Drain  
EVs: 180 HP / 228 Def / 100 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Ancient Power / Earth Power
- Giga Drain  / Energy Ball
- Gastro Acid  / Tickle / Mirror Coat
- Recover

Cradilly main purpose is to stay alive and support his allies, redirect some attention off of the other pokemon. Starting off with Cradilly's ability Storm Drain is one of the main features to this pokemon, able to protect pokemon such as Charizard and Talonflame from scalds and hydro pumps from pokemon such as Milotic, Rotom-W, or Suicune, Storm Drain while also redirecting attacks also raises Cradilly's Special Attack thats why i decided to go towards a special instead of physical Cradilly set. Ancient Power is a fantastic move mainly because its a special rock type move, and also able to get a boost from Cradilly's Rock Type, while this move cannot OHKO most Mega Char Y sets, it can OHKO most Talonflame sets and do decent amounts of damage to pokemon weak to the attacks. If Ancient Power's not your cup of tea we also have Earth Power, similar to Ancient Power, its one of the the only special ground type moves, able to deal decent damage but not enough damage to OHKO Heatran. Giga Drain is a great move allowing you to deal damage while also being able to heal some damage. If you want a little more power in your grass type moves, Energy Ball is your moves doing more damage than Giga Drain but doesnt heal you, but you have other forms of healing as ill explain shortly. Gastro Acid is an amazing move, able to nulify your opponent's ability, this can shut down alot of teams so it is really handy. Another really good support move is Tickle, this moves lowers your Opponents Attack and Defense, combo this with a physical attacking pokemon can be really devastating. And finally one of your methods of healing, Recover, using this move recovers half of Cradillys Max HP. Mirror Coat is an amazing move able to deal back all the damage taken from a special attack potentially KOing the foe, so having bulk on Cradilly is great so he can take the attack, survive and throw it all back. The item given to Cradilly is Leftovers restoring some of Cradillys HP every turn. The EV spread is many based on Bulk and Staying alive for as long as possible, this spread allow Cradilly to survive CC from Terrakion (depending on the spread) and some other moves.

Damage Calculations:

Offensive

0 SpA Cradily Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 112-132 (67 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Cradily Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 100-124 (65.3 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Cradily Ancient Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 156-184 (101.2 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Cradily Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Rotom-W: 54-66 (34.3 - 42%) -- Miniscule chance to 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

Defensive

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 180 HP / 228+ Def Cradily: 102-122 (55.4 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 180 HP / 228+ Def Cradily: 152-182 (82.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 180 HP / 228+ Def Cradily: 143-172 (77.7 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
100 SpA Suicune Ice Beam vs. 180 HP / 100 SpD Cradily: 60-72 (32.6 - 39.1%) -- 9.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 180 HP / 100 SpD Cradily: 94-112 (51 - 60.8%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Potential Teammates include, but aren't limited to;
  • Terrakion & Other Sand Team Pokemon: Cradilly is able to portect them from alot of threatening moves
  • Pokemon that know the move surf: This can raise Cradillys special attack while also hurting both opponents

Threats include, but aren't limited to;
  • Taunters: Pokemon with taunt can shut down cradilly pretty easily preventing him from protecting his ally but staying alive / preventing him from using moves such as Gastro Acid / Tickle
  • Other Bulky Pokemon: Cradilly cant really kill other bulky pokemon that well, he cant odo enough damage to counter there healing moves.

Other Notable Moves
  • Barrier: Raises Cradilly's Defense by +2
  • Protect: Protects you from taking some damage for one turn
  • Infestaion: Damages your opponent everyturn and prevents them from excaping
  • Substitute: Protects Cradilly with a Substitution doll.

Other Notable Items
  • Expert Belt: Boost the power of super effective moves
  • Kings Rock: Deals damage to the pokemon that attacks Cradilly if the move is a physical attacking move.

Cradilly isnt the strongest of pokemon but he can be a big help at times, he has some great moves that Assist allys. If you have anymore suggestions feel free to add them and i will gladly add them to the original post Smile
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
I love Cradily, I think it's really adorable. Like you said, this could really work well in a Sand team. I could actually use this in VGC doubles some time.

A moveset of Toxic/Infestation/Ancient Power/Recover would be a nuisance in Singles. I've been wondering about the potential of Infestation in the Doubles format a lot. Here for instance, a Pokémon possibly locked on to a Water-type move because of, say, a Choice item (Choice Specs Gastrodon for instance) would find it infuriating to not be able to switch out because of Infestation. This move does require a lot of predicting though.

Here in doubles though, I would use the moveset Ancient Power/Giga Drain/Gastro Acid/Recover out of the ones you suggested, to amplify its modest offensive presence a little bit with STAB. Ancient Power can do a lot of solid damage to M-Charizard Y, and I like that.