Poll: Do you think Emolga will be viable in VGC 2017?
Yes!
Uh...no.
[Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Emolga is Actually Viable This Format?! - with 0kamii
(Jan 24, 2017, 05:29 PM)0kamii Wrote:
(Jan 24, 2017, 04:19 PM)TheGamingPerson12 Wrote: @Okamii what does the spread acomplish?

A great question, thank you for asking! The spread you see for Kili is personalized for both my team and the local circuits in which I play. Here's a breakdown:

All of Kili's IVs are perfect 31s, FYI.

HP: 88 points
Atk: 0 points
Def: 164 points
Sp. Atk: 4 points
Sp. Def: 0 points
Spd: 252 points

The 88 Evs I have invested into Kili's HP works in tandum with the EVs invested in Defense. Most of what we have in this metagame is physcial, with notable exceptions like Alolan Ninetales and Tapu Koko. With this amount of investment in Defense, my Emolga can actually take a STAB Flare Blitz from a max invested Jolly Arcanine, one of the most common pokemon around where I play. Some additional points in Defense may be required depending on the scene where you play. The max Speed investment I think is pretty self-explanatory, as it let's Emolga outpace common threats like Garchomp, Salamence, Flygon, and even supportive pokemon like Comfey. I suggest looking at PokemonForever's Speed tier list for a more in-depth breakdown of that. The remaining EVs could've been put into just about any stat, but I chose Sp. Attack specifically because Celesteela is by far the most common Ultra Beast I fight, locally and on Showdown. According to Pokemon Damage Caculator, this small investment let's me hit Celesteela for roughly 10% of its maximum health even with max HP investment, and roughly 25% of its health per Volt Switch at max Sp. Defense investment. This helps maintain my team's momentum, and gives Emolga the chance to resurge and Encore-lock an opposing mon. I hope that answered your question GamingPerson, let me know if you have any additional inquires!

- 0kamii

P.S. Here's a link to the damage calculator if you want to check for yourself: https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/.

You should put this on the moveset sign-ups list since you know so much about this (If you do you may want to explain why its better than other mons like raichu or marowak or togedumaru). Also, why it emolga named Kili?
@TheGamingPerson12 As flattering as that is, I'd like to experiment with the set a bit more before I feel comfortable definitively sticking my claim to it. I have a tournament coming up within the next week, so I'll be sure to keep this forum updated with my results. As for the second half of your post, Kili is named so because (in the spirit Polynesian culture thanks to "Sun & Moon" being inspired by the Hawaiian Islands) the Hawaiian word 'hekili' means 'thunder.' My version, Kili, is simply a shorthand version. Thank you for asking!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

Wonderful post! I love the adorable electric flying squirrel, a few of my single's teams used her. I want to participate in the international challenge and would love to know your team. I'm currently working on building a doubles team of Emolga, Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, Politoed, and Garchomp. I'm torn between using Weavile, Nilhilego, and even Parasect.
Any updates on emolga on your emolga?! :D I'm really curious as to what happened.
(Mar 8, 2017, 09:02 PM)markyice94 Wrote: Any updates on emolga on your emolga?! :D I'm really curious as to what happened.

@markyice94 Hey, markyice94! Glad to know you are still interesting in Kili and the whole of Emolga's viability in VGC 2017. Kili herself has found success at locals. I placed 1st, and on PokémonShowdown my Emolga team is currently at ranking 1427. I've been experimenting with a few new sets, and I'm still trying to perfect the original. I'm toying around with a Tapu Koko/Electric Seed Emolga set, which let's me put more EVs into Sp. Def. I'll keep this post updated if I make it a working set. Thanks!

- 0kamii

(Mar 21, 2017, 03:44 PM)0kamii Wrote:
(Mar 8, 2017, 09:02 PM)markyice94 Wrote: Any updates on emolga on your emolga?! :D I'm really curious as to what happened.

@markyice94 Hey, markyice94! Glad to know you are still interesting in Kili and the whole of Emolga's viability in VGC 2017. Kili herself has found success at locals. I placed 1st, and on PokémonShowdown my Emolga team is currently at ranking 1427. I've been experimenting with a few new sets, and I'm still trying to perfect the original. I'm toying around with a Tapu Koko/Electric Seed Emolga set, which let's me put more EVs into Sp. Def. I'll keep this post updated if I make it a working set. Thanks!

- 0kamii

So I didn’t get to participate in the February challenge. But planning on using this one for the April challenge. I'm still really interested in your setup especially since you got first place! I changed the pokemon for my team details below.

I've drew a lot of resources from r/stunfisk on Reddit and a few articles from Amino although I feel like your Emolga is the most comprehesive and viable set, still working on how to play it and how to improve it or if I should switch around Pokemon. Would love your input, especially since you got first place at a local tourney!

Using your Emolga, if you don’t mind, I was experimenting with some others like a weakness policy, speed swap, even a king's rock/fling set but yours seems to make the most sense:
Emolga @ Focus Sash
Ability: Motor Drive 
Level: 50
EVs: 88 HP / 164 DEF / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature 
- Protect 
- Volt Switch 
- Nuzzle
- Encore 

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb 
Ability: Psychic Surge 
EVs: 236 HP / 212 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe 
Modest Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Moonblast 
- Psychic 
- Protect 
- Taunt 

Tapu Koko @ [font]Electrium Z[/font]
Ability: Electric Surge 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Timid Nature 
- Thunderbolt 
- Dazzling Gleam 
- Discharge 
- Protect 

Milotic @ Maranga Berry 
Ability: Competitive 
Shiny: Yes 
EVs: 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpA 
Bold Nature 
- Scald 
- Ice Beam 
- Protect 
- Recover 

Drifblim @ Psychic Seed 
Ability: Unburden 
EVs: 4 HP / 132 Def / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 164 Spe 
Timid Nature 
- Will-O-Wisp 
- Shadow Ball 
- Tailwind 
- Destiny Bond 

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry 
Ability: Gluttony 
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD 
Adamant Nature 
- Poison Jab 
- Knock Off 
- Curse 
- Protect 

I don’t know if I should bring in a trick room setter or user since my team is seems to fail miserably against hard trick room teams. Like switching Muk for Snorlax as well as going more physical with a Gyrados instead of Milotic.

Thanks so much!
Emolga deserves this, as it's one of the coolest Pokemon that's never been competitive before.
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
(Apr 9, 2017, 10:11 AM)EemsRoro Wrote:

- 0kamii

So I didn’t get to participate in the February challenge. But planning on using this one for the April challenge. I'm still really interested in your setup especially since you got first place! I changed the pokemon for my team details below.

I've drew a lot of resources from r/stunfisk on Reddit and a few articles from Amino although I feel like your Emolga is the most comprehesive and viable set, still working on how to play it and how to improve it or if I should switch around Pokemon. Would love your input, especially since you got first place at a local tourney!

Using your Emolga, if you don’t mind, I was experimenting with some others like a weakness policy, speed swap, even a king's rock/fling set but yours seems to make the most sense:
Emolga @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature 
- Protect 
- Volt Switch 
- Nuzzle
- Encore 

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb 
Modest Nature 
- Moonblast 
- Psychic 
- Protect 
- Taunt 

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature 
- Thunderbolt 
- Dazzling Gleam 
- Discharge 
- Protect 

Milotic @ Maranga Berry 
Bold Nature 
- Scald 
- Ice Beam 
- Protect 
- Recover 

Drifblim @ Psychic Seed 
Timid Nature 
- Will-O-Wisp 
- Shadow Ball 
- Tailwind 
- Destiny Bond 

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry 
Adamant Nature 
- Poison Jab 
- Knock Off 
- Curse 
- Protect 

I don’t know if I should bring in a trick room setter or user since my team is seems to fail miserably against hard trick room teams. Like switching Muk for Snorlax as well as going more physical with a Gyrados instead of Milotic.

Thanks so much!

Hey @EemsRoro. Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been preparing my team for the April International Challenge. But anyway, I got a chance to review your team and I have to admit I'm at a bit of a loss. I recreated your team in Pokemon Showdown and battled with it to see if I could spot any obvious exploits, but I can't seem to find any clear problems. I will be the first to admit that of the 10 battles I played, I used Emolga in 3, and it was knocked out fairly quickly. Even though I love Emolga and continue to strive to use it, I don't think she's a good fit for this team. On this team, especially since you have Tapu Koko, I would recommend using Alolan Raichu instead. Doing that gives you an extra Ground weakness, but that can be covered by replacing Milotic with Araquanid. This also balances out the Physical/Special split on your team, as in its current state that ratio is 1:5. That being said, you get walled by Special Walls quite easily. Clefable was nightmare to battle let me tell you...

Also, I'm confused as to why you're running a Sp. Attack invested Drifblim. The mechanic behind this set is to give Drifblim a speed boost from Unburden, which simultaneously doubles the power of Acrobatics, giving Drifblim a powerful STAB move as well as making it one of the fastest mons on the field. Your Drifblim set is unconventional, but I'm not sure it makes sense for this team. I suggest chaning it to the physical variant, which would balance out your team further to 3:3.

In short, here's the best revision I can come up with for now:

Tapu Koko
Alolan Raichu
Tapu Lele
Arquanid
Drifblim
Alolan Muk

I would suggest fiddling around with the IVs and moves as needed. One thing I will say though is that this line up adds another Ghost weakness, something to consider. Not only that, but adding Raichu also creates a problem in Earthquake. I will try and think of a workaround to this issue. To address your final concern, you have zero speed control. Tailwind is useful, but only if your opponent isn't running Trick Room, which all of my opponents were during testing. Arquanid is an excellent Trick Room mon, but having no way to set it up or reverse Trick Room yourself puts you at a severe disadvantage. As I mentioned, this is very much a ramshackle edit of your team, and I'll strive to go more in-depth at a future point, but for now I would highly encourage you to fiddle around with my suggestions and see if they synergize with your playstyle. If not, and I hate to say it, it may be wise for you to consider building a new team from the ground up.

Here's another suggestion if this is the route you decide to take. I've been experimenting with this core:

Emolga
Metagross
Tapu Fini

They compliment each other well, and depending on the other three teammates, they synergize phenomenally. Something to consider. I apologize if my analysis of your team seemed rushed, but as I said, I've been doing a lot of my own analysis. Anyway, I hope you found something in my psychobabble helpful, and I look forward to hearing back from you on the progress of your team. Thanks!

- 0kamii

(Apr 16, 2017, 09:16 PM)0kamii Wrote:
(Apr 9, 2017, 10:11 AM)EemsRoro Wrote:

- 0kamii

Emolga @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature 
- Protect 
- Volt Switch 
- Nuzzle
- Encore 

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb 
Modest Nature 
- Moonblast 
- Psychic 
- Protect 
- Taunt 

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature 
- Thunderbolt 
- Dazzling Gleam 
- Discharge 
- Protect 

Milotic @ Maranga Berry 
Bold Nature 
- Scald 
- Ice Beam 
- Protect 
- Recover 

Drifblim @ Psychic Seed 
Timid Nature 
- Will-O-Wisp 
- Shadow Ball 
- Tailwind 
- Destiny Bond 

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry 
Adamant Nature 
- Poison Jab 
- Knock Off 
- Curse 
- Protect 

Thanks so much!

Hey @EemsRoro. Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been preparing my team for the April International Challenge. But anyway, I got a chance to review your team and I have to admit I'm at a bit of a loss. I recreated your team in Pokemon Showdown and battled with it to see if I could spot any obvious exploits, but I can't seem to find any clear problems. I will be the first to admit that of the 10 battles I played, I used Emolga in 3, and it was knocked out fairly quickly. Even though I love Emolga and continue to strive to use it, I don't think she's a good fit for this team. On this team, especially since you have Tapu Koko, I would recommend using Alolan Raichu instead. Doing that gives you an extra Ground weakness, but that can be covered by replacing Milotic with Araquanid. This also balances out the Physical/Special split on your team, as in its current state that ratio is 1:5. That being said, you get walled by Special Walls quite easily. Clefable was nightmare to battle let me tell you...

Also, I'm confused as to why you're running a Sp. Attack invested Drifblim. The mechanic behind this set is to give Drifblim a speed boost from Unburden, which simultaneously doubles the power of Acrobatics, giving Drifblim a powerful STAB move as well as making it one of the fastest mons on the field. Your Drifblim set is unconventional, but I'm not sure it makes sense for this team. I suggest chaning it to the physical variant, which would balance out your team further to 3:3.

In short, here's the best revision I can come up with for now:

Tapu Koko
Alolan Raichu
Tapu Lele
Arquanid
Drifblim
Alolan Muk

I would suggest fiddling around with the IVs and moves as needed. One thing I will say though is that this line up adds another Ghost weakness, something to consider. Not only that, but adding Raichu also creates a problem in Earthquake. I will try and think of a workaround to this issue. To address your final concern, you have zero speed control. Tailwind is useful, but only if your opponent isn't running Trick Room, which all of my opponents were during testing. Arquanid is an excellent Trick Room mon, but having no way to set it up or reverse Trick Room yourself puts you at a severe disadvantage. As I mentioned, this is very much a ramshackle edit of your team, and I'll strive to go more in-depth at a future point, but for now I would highly encourage you to fiddle around with my suggestions and see if they synergize with your playstyle. If not, and I hate to say it, it may be wise for you to consider building a new team from the ground up.

Here's another suggestion if this is the route you decide to take. I've been experimenting with this core:

Emolga
Metagross
Tapu Fini

They compliment each other well, and depending on the other three teammates, they synergize phenomenally. Something to consider. I apologize if my analysis of your team seemed rushed, but as I said, I've been doing a lot of my own analysis. Anyway, I hope you found something in my psychobabble helpful, and I look forward to hearing back from you on the progress of your team. Thanks!

- 0kamii

Wow, I'm so glad to hear from you! You're analysis is quite thorough and thought through definitely not slapped together and for that I commend you and think that much more highly of you!

After doing some play-throughs myself I didn't feel like my team was synergizing together well and like you put it, didn't let Emolga in on much of the fun. I took ideas from all over and put it together with little experience personally but with a desire to use Emolga and even put Tapu Lele in the mix, since it's my wife's favorite Pokémon.

Now this team is really for fun and I totally don't mind taking from your suggestion especially since from what I hear a lot of the player who participate in IC usually aren't super into competitive Pokemon. It's seems like the perfect spot to play around with teams and such. I do want to fiddle with some possibly gimmicks like electro ball Emolga and bulldoze garchomp. Should be able to experiment soon especially on the core you suggested  since I'll be taking a few days out of town to visit familly. Think there would be room in that core for Lele and Chomp? Possibly with a trick room de-setter if there is such a thing? 

Again, love your original post about my favorite Pokémon, using it in competition, hearing you got first in a local tourney, and even your considerate reply to my first draft of my team.
@EemsRoro I'm very glad that I could help you out! It was my pleasure! I'll be sure to revise my VGC 2017 Team and post it to this forum later so you can see how my first Emolga team turned out. In the meantime, I'm going to have as much fun as I can with the April International Challenge this weekend, and I'll be sure to post my team and my score for critique in the aftermath.

For your team, I think experimenting with gimmicks is a neat idea, and maybe one of them will actually work? You never know, and I encourage you and everyone else to go for it! Smile Tapu Lele is always a good choice, and Garchomp usually fits into any line-up. I've never heard of a Trick Room de-setter, but it sounds interesting. All in all, I'm always happy to give advice, and I wish everyone reading post good luck in their VGC 2017 ventures!

- 0kamii