Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Liepard Moveset - Support/Disruptor
[Image: lina_the_liepard_by_all0412-d5fpoj4.jpg]
Credit to: All0412

Liepard is an interesting and diverse Pokemon. It is used to disrupt your opponent's momentum and support team members. The main draw to using Liepard over other Prankster users such as Thundurus and Whimsicott is Liepard's access to Fake Out.

[Image: 510.gif]
Type: Dark
Weaknesses: Fighting (X2), Fairy (X2), Bug (X2)
Resistances: Ghost (X0.5), Dark (X0.5)
Abilities:
Limber - Limber prevents the Pokémon from being afflicted by paralysis. A Pokémon with this Ability will be cured of paralysis if it is paralyzed while in battle (such as if it gains the Ability outside of battle or by an effect like Skill Swap, or is paralyzed by a Pokémon with an Ability like Mold Breaker). If the Pokémon is holding a Cheri Berry or a Lum Berry, it will be eaten before Limber cures the Pokémon of paralysis.

Unburden - Unburden doubles the Pokémon's Speed stat when the Pokémon's held item is lost. If there is no held item to begin with or if a held item is traded for another, Unburden will not be activated. This boost is lost if the Pokémon is switched out.

Prankster - Any status moves used by Pokémon with Prankster will be blocked by Quick Guard.

Base Stats: 64 HP / 88 ATK / 50 DEF / 88 SpA  / 50 SpD / 106 Spe

Support/Disruptor

[Image: 510.gif]
Liepard @ Black Glasses  
Ability: Prankster  
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Def / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Fake Out  
- Encore  
- Foul Play  
- Swagger

Due to the nature of the build, Liepard does not benefit from offensive investment. The speed investment allows Liepard to outspeed max speed Lopunny and Meowstic to ensure you have a faster Fake Out, as well as Adamant max speed M-Salamence. The defence EVs allows Liepard survive U-Turn from 252+ Lando-T most of the time, as well as Mach Punch from 252+ Conkeldurr all the time and Iron Head from 252+ LO Bisharp most of the time. Fake Out is useful in a variety of situations, such as allowing a partner to set up, preventing redirection, preventing an opponent's setup/recovery or simply getting necessary chip damage allowing partners to pick up KOs or to KO weakened foes. Prankster Encore discourages the opponent from using Protect as to not get locked into it. In conjunction with Fake Out, Encore can greatly improve a team's matchup against trick room, as turn one Liepard can Fake Out the partner to the trick room setter (which is often a Fake out user), while turn two Liepard Encores the Trick Room setter to reverse the trick room. Swagger and Foul Play are the most commonly used moves in the last moveslots due to their synergy together and allowing Liepard to score OHKOs and 2HKOs. Blackglasses are there to increase the damage of Foul Play, picking up more 2HKOs or OHKOs after being Swaggered.

Damage Calculations  

Defensive:

252+ Atk Landorus-T U-turn vs. 156 HP / 100 Def Liepard: 138-164 (86.7 - 103.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 156 HP / 100 Def Liepard: 116-138 (72.9 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 156 HP / 100 Def Liepard: 138-164 (86.7 - 103.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Iron Head vs. 156 HP / 100 Def Liepard: 142-168 (89.3 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Liepard: 129-153 (81.1 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Liepard: 144-169 (90.5 - 106.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 156 HP / 0 SpD Liepard: 115-136 (72.3 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch vs. 156 HP / 100 Def Liepard: 126-150 (79.2 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Offensive:

0 Atk Black Glasses Liepard Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 152-180 (97.4 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

+2 0 Atk Black Glasses Liepard Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 189-223 (104.4 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 0 Atk Black Glasses Liepard Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 108-128 (64.6 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Black Glasses Liepard Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 312-368 (186.8 - 220.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While Liepards defensive capabilities can at times be impressive, you will want to avoid letting Liepard being double targeted or taking strong boosted/super effective attacks.

Potential Teammates include, but aren't limited to;
  • Breloom makes an exceptional partner. Fake Out support allows Breloom to Spore potential threats without fear of being double targeted. Supposing the selected Pokemon was faster than Breloom, this provides a guaranteed sleep turn allowing Liepard to Swagger/Foul Play safely.
  • Pokemon that appreciate Fake Out support. For example, M-Gengar on Perish Trap (Disable can have good synergy with Encore), Substitute users such as M-Metagross and Heatran, Users of Tailwind and Trick room, Set up Pokemon such as Dragon Dance M-Mence
  • Thundurus can be used to reduce the chances of the opponent being able to move through Parafusion.
  • Offensive Pokemon that appreciate the use of Protect being discouraged.

Threats include but aren't limited to;
  • Quick Guard users in general. In particular, Terrakion can be difficult to deal with as it can carry Quick Guard, resists Foul Play and can switch in to a Swagger if they are carrying a Lum berry, while being able to OHKO with Close Combat.
  • Faster Prankster Taunt users such as Offensive Thundurus and Whimsicott can render Liepard almost useless.
  • Physical attackers, particularly ones which resist Foul Play. Without a reliable way of dealing with these threats, you will be forced to take a coin flip with Swagger.

Other notable moves
A major draw towards Liepard is its flexibility, allowing it to patch holes in teams.
  • Protect - Liepard can often be a win condition, and while not standard having a 100% chance to not take damage for a turn can be game changing.
  • Thunder wave - For a team lacking speed control, Liepard can slow down certain threats, as well as giving Parafusion options.
  • Taunt - For preventing opposing gimmicks, setup, recovery and shutting down more defensive Pokemon like Amoonguss.
  • Fake Tears - Liepard can turn 2HKOs by its partner in to OHKOs through reducing an opponent's special defence. Pokemon that appreciate this include Zard Y and Offensive LO Thundurus.
  • Knock Off - For removing an annoying item such as berrys and choice items.
  • U-turn - Useful particularly on Perish Trap to reset the turns of Perish Song.
  • Sunny Day/Rain Dance - Used mostly to prevent opposing weather, however can be used as a surprise tactic.

Other Notable Items
  • Focus Sash - Liepard can be very frail and being guaranteed to survive at least one hit can be useful. However, as Liepard is often paired with Breloom, the Focus Sash is often not available.
  • Safety Goggles - Allows Liepard to deal with Amoonguss more easily, as it avoids redirection and spore.
  • Mental Herb - Improves Liepard's match up against fast Taunt users.

Other Notable Strategies
  • Although gimmicky and unviable, Liepard can be seen on 'void cat' teams, where the team is made up of Pokemon with moves that cannot be used through the move assist, such as Focus punch and Dragon Tail, as well as Dark void Smeargle causing Liepard to always use Prankster Dark void.
Nice :D
We needed this and alot of other mons *cough rotom wash cough*
Never Give Up! - Densest Anime Protagonist of the Century

Forum Ninja
#PopplioDefenseSquad
(Oct 3, 2015, 07:11 AM)podfighterninja123 Wrote: Nice :D
We needed this and alot of other mons *cough rotom wash cough*

Ooh that'll be an interesting one, I'll do one next if nobody else was planning on it
Okay, for one, I love Liepard to bits. It has helped me so much in the past, although I have a slightly different moveset/item for mine:

Liepard @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Encore
- Fake Tears
- Foul Play

Fake Tears is such a powerful move to have when you are paired with a Special Attacker, especially Mega Gengar with his trapping.
This is very well written! hoping to read more content from you in the future Smile
(Oct 3, 2015, 07:48 AM)Delta Wrote: Okay, for one, I love Liepard to bits. It has helped me so much in the past, although I have a slightly different moveset/item for mine:

Liepard @ Focus Sash  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Protect  
- Encore  
- Fake Tears  
- Foul Play

Fake Tears is such a powerful move to have when you are paired with a Special Attacker, especially Mega Gengar with his trapping.

For a build like this, you might as well use Whimsicott. It is faster, has better bulk and has all of those moves bar Foul Play. As I said at the start, the main reason one would use Liepard is for Fake Out + Prankster Encore.

Then again, I guess just the possibility of having Fake Out will make your opponent play differently, but that would make more of a difference in a best of one than in a best of 3.
This has been very helpful! I've been thinking about a Liepard build for the Spooky online competition PGL is hosting. This gave me a lot to think about.
(Oct 5, 2015, 07:00 AM)ShinyLuigi Wrote: This has been very helpful! I've been thinking about a Liepard build for the Spooky online competition PGL is hosting. This gave me a lot to think about.

Glad I could help!
Wouldn't timid nature work better due to Foul Play being more powerful when you have a lower attack stat than the opponent?
(Oct 5, 2015, 07:25 AM)SuperDaikenki Wrote: Wouldn't timid nature work better due to Foul Play being more powerful when you have a lower attack stat than the opponent?

That's not how Foul play works. The higher the attack stat of the opponent, the higher the damage, irrespective of Liepard's attack stat. You could argue a TImid nature with 0 attack IVs could work to reduce confusion damage and incoming Foul Play damage, but that would remove Liepard's ability to revenge kill heavily weakened enemies when switched in.