Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Ultra Beast Spotlight! Enter: Buzzwole!
[Image: buzzwole-ow.jpg]

WHAT'S GOOD, MY FRIENDS?
IT'S YA BOY. YOUNG BUZZWOLE. CHEF BOYARDEE. DOOMTRAIN DERAILED. GUZMA IN ALL BLACK.
It's me.

[Image: f12e50538871ebfa6adca669ed71d3c3.gif]

What's good DigimonForever, I'm coming at you with my other favorite when it comes to ultra beasts: Buzzwole.
Buzz. SWOLE.

You know what I'm gonna do. We're gonna look at our mans buzzwole, look at his stats, his ability, his moves, and how I like to use him. But before we get into that, disclaimer time, boyo.

Disclaimer: The game is still young. I dunno whats going on, there is no meta. So take my thoughts, and my sets with a grain of salt. As they may be better, or worse once the meta game finds it ground.

Now that's out of the way, no more messing around. Let's look at our boy.

- STATS -

[Image: sWv8BBr.png]

FLEX ON EM, BUZZWOLE. GET IT. SHOW EM.
Let's focus on some things before we get into those stats.

Typing: Bug / Fighting
Weaknesses: Flying (x4) Fire (x2) Fairy (x2) Psychic (x2)
Resistances: Fighting Ground Bug Grass Dark (all 1/2)

Thoughts on this, thus far: Bugs have been seeing a lot of love this gen. With moves like leech life being buffed to 80 power, for example. I also am a huge fan of fighting types in general, as they bring great offensive pressure with a strong move pool. I dig the typing. Unfortunately, with this typing we get some very common weaknesses. Flying, fire, fairy, and psychic are all rather common. On the bright side, we resist some other common types. Like fighting, ground, and dark. Maybe even bug will become more common, and we may see more grass types. Who knows.

Ability: Beast Boost - This Pokemon's highest stat is raised by 1 if it attacks and KO's another Pokemon.

^ Keep this ability in mind, it's important and we'll talk about it in the minute.

NOW with all that stuff out of the way, let's actually look at these stats, eh?

Buzzwole has GREAT stats in it's HP, ATK, and DEF. It follows up with a /decent/ speed stat. However, it fails noticeably in it's SPATK & SPDEF stats. While it is unfortunate that it's SPDEF is so bad, considering a wide majority of common fairy/fire/psychic moves are special based, at least we have a good HP stat to help it out.

Notice that your DEF and your ATK are the same, both sitting at 139. Remember Beast Boost? With these stats, it makes it super easy for us to manipulate what stat we want to boost here. We can easily choose between gaining ATK every time we get a KO, or gaining DEF. Really cool to have that option, in my opinion.

- BUILDS -

I have a couple sets for our boy Buzzwole here, so I'll drop them below and explain as I go. Bars.

- Assault Vest -

(252+ SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole in Electric Terrain: 148-175 (81.3 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)
WE OUT HERE

Buzzwole @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 132 HP / 164 Atk / 88 Def / 124 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Superpower
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch / ?

Disclaimer: I had a really hard time with EV's here. I wanted to put speed in, but I really couldn't find a good reason to as there's no meta; so I don't know what I should be trying to speed creep. Where as other things like the tapus will often outspeed me anyways, so instead I invested into bulk over speed. I made up for this frustration with speed control on a team, so keep that in mind.

Defensive calcs: (Some of these cals are with lower SPD, because I was still EV'ing. But I'm lazy and didn't redo them, I ended up raising my SPD to live a 4SPA air slash from celesteela, because I died to it and it made me sad. The rest were dumped into DEF, despite being healthy to most things without it.

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 132 HP / 100 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole: 168-198 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 144-170 (72.3 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bruxish Psychic Fangs vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 135-164 (67.8 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 156-186 (78.3 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 143-172 (71.8 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Oranguru Psychic vs. 132 HP / 100 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole: 159-190 (79.8 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Necrozma Psychic vs. 132 HP / 100 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole: 156-186 (78.3 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Alolan Ninetales Moonblast vs. 132 HP / 100 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole: 159-190 (79.8 - 95.4%) -- guuaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Primarina Moonblast vs. 132 HP / 100 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole: 164-194 (82.4 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Celesteela Air Slash vs. 132 HP / 124 SpD Assault Vest Buzzwole: 168-196 (84.4 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Offensive calcs: (I ignored beast boost for these, as you'll mostly OHKO a large majority of things with just 1-2 boosts to ATK)

164+ Atk Buzzwole Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 180-212 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
164+ Atk Buzzwole Superpower vs. 200 HP / 40 Def Ferrothorn: 174-206 (100 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
164+ Atk Buzzwole Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Tyranitar: 114-134 (55 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164+ Atk Buzzwole Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 246-290 (146.4 - 172.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
164+ Atk Buzzwole Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Guzzlord: 362-428 (109.6 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
164+ Atk Buzzwole Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Alolan Golem: 180-212 (96.2 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

I didn't go too crazy on offensive calcs because this set is more on living, and taking advantage of a beast boost to OHKO things. However, it's obvious that it's still very strong without the boost.

As for the moves, I went with double STAB in Leech Life/Super Power. I went for Leech Life over Lunge because I wanted sustain with my assault vest. I went for Super Power for the over all large damage output. Poison Jab was needed for the common fairys, and I went through multiple 4th slot moves. Earthquake, rock slide, stone edge, lunge, fell stinger, hammer arm; lots of things. Really up to you what you do here.

AV Buzzwole is personally my favorite, but I will share a few more sets below. I won't go crazy indepth on them, as they're simple EV/movepools.

- Choiced -

Buzzwole @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Lunge
- Superpower
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide

Not the biggest fan of scarf, but I understand if you wanna use it. speed is just to make sure we outspeed base 130's without a + nature in their speed. Rest dumped in power to hopefully OHKO threats, since we aren't bulky. rest dumped into HP for general bulk.

Buzzwole @ Choice Band
EVs: 124 Atk / 132 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Thunder Punch

Choice band is a lot of fun, you hit all the things super hard. I went for max speed jolly to try and get the jump on things, and knock them out fast. I went for 132 SPD over HP, because I really wanted to live Tapu Lele dazzling gleam. Maybe there's a better way to balance that, but I either didn't look hard enough or whatever. I went for thunder punch because 2HKO'ing a Toxapex is funny.

- Bulk Up -

I actually don't have anything here. It's a work in progress. I just wanted to let everybody knows that Buzzwole gets Bulk Up and Roost. Think about that.
I'll edit this eventually and come out with the spread for it~

wooooo okay I'm done here. Buzzwole is dope. Gets beat up by the tapu's for the most part though. Dunks on tapu bulu thoooo

alright im gonna go play smite and prepare for final fantasy XV to release tonight, sloppy ending because im the worst zzzzz

enjoy! if you have a ultra beast you're curious about lemme know and I might do my next write up on that one.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
Too bad I have moon so I can't get the swole mosquito D:
Very nice! I use a similar Choice Band set in OU and it destroys everything, so powerful. Do Kartana next, it's cool and looks like an origami but you don't see it too much in VGC from what I've seen. Once again, great job Smile
Can you tell me why Choice Banded Nihilego w/ Head Smash is the best set ever? Thanks
RIP Miranda Cosgrove 1975-2017
(Nov 28, 2016, 05:40 PM)matiasrocks3 Wrote: Too bad I have moon so I can't get the swole mosquito D:

time for trading!

(Nov 28, 2016, 05:45 PM)Elly Wrote: Very nice! I use a similar Choice Band set in OU and it destroys everything, so powerful. Do Kartana next, it's cool and looks like an origami but you don't see it too much in VGC from what I've seen. Once again, great job Smile

I absolutely love Buzzwole in OU [: and gotcha!

(Nov 28, 2016, 05:52 PM)Squeab Wrote: Can you tell me why Choice Banded Nihilego w/ Head Smash is the best set ever? Thanks

ever been headbutted by a jellyfish?
ploop
best set ever
"I ended up raising my SPD to live a 4SPA air slash from celesteela, because I died to it and it made me sad"

This made my day, thanks
(Nov 28, 2016, 05:59 PM)GiMYz Wrote: "I ended up raising my SPD to live a 4SPA air slash from celesteela, because I died to it and it made me sad"

This made my day, thanks

IT OHKO'D ME, MAN
IT HAD 4SPA AND OHKO'D ME
I WAS SO SAD

Glad to make your day, you're still the fave.
wow!!!!!! I got buzzlwole! so idk why it was easy to catch! also my sister has pokemon moon,so.....she get a different one. so i hope my sister could catch the different one that idk it's name,and we could trade it! Sleepy Smile