Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] [VGC/Battle Spot Doubles] Aerodactyl - Fast Support
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
Credit to.. an amazing artist who I'm not able to find.

Aerodactyl (or as mine is called, Flincherino Kappa ) is a great fast physical attacker and support. Having access to moves like Tailwind, Sky Drop, Wide Guard and Taunt combined with its high speed and STAB Rock Slides it can be a real threat.

[Image: 142Aerodactyl.png]
Type: Rock Flying
Base Stats: 80 HP / 105 Att / 65 Def / 60 SpA / 75 SpD / 130 Spe
Weaknesses: Rock Steel Water Electric Ice x2
Resistances: Normal Flying Poison Bug Fire x0.5
Immunities: Ground
Abilities:
Rock Head: Negates recoil from recoil moves.
Pressure: Enemy attacks lose 1 extra PP.
Unnerve: Prevents the foe from consuming its held Berry item

Fast Support

[Image: 142.gif]
Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Unnerve / Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- Tailwind / Wide Guard
- Protect / Wide Guard
- Sky Drop

Due to its high speed, he's an excellent fast support. Able to set up Tailwind quick or use Sky Drop on a threatening pokemon while your teammate takes care of the other. Also has access to Wide Guard and Taunt. You could pick Wide Guard over Protect if you're having trouble with Earthquakes, Rock Slides or other moves like that. I prefer to use Protect as Aerodactyl has low defenses and your opponent tends to focus on getting it down as soon as possible. Fast STAB Rock Slides to deal great damage while having a 30% to flinch your opponent, which will really annoy your opponent and can turn a game around. Who doesn't love getting a double flinch off? I prefer to use Unnerve over Pressure and Rock Head. Denying pokemon to use their berries can be a game-changer. The only downside to Unnerve on Aerodactyl, is that it's simply not available until the Pokemon Bank is released for Sun and Moon. Until then, use Pressure. Rock Head is of no use in this build, it doesn't use any moves with recoil. Pretty straightforward EV spread, max attack and speed to be as fast a possible while dealing as much damage as possible. Due to its low defenses the logical choice to me is Focus Sash, as it can be OHKO'd easily.

Damage Calculations:

Offensive

252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 64-76 (44.1 - 52.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 70-84 (48.2 - 57.9%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Arcanine: 68-84 (34.5 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Arcanine: 84-98 (50.9 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 134-162 (78.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 102-122 (75.5 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 120-144 (83.9 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pelipper: 114-134 (84.4 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales-Alola: 140-168 (94.5 - 113.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Fast Bulky Support

[Image: 142.gif]
Aerodactyl @ Rockium Z  
Ability: Pressure  
EVs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- Tailwind / Wide Guard
- Protect  / Wide Guard
- Sky Drop

The bulky version of the previous build, if you prefer to use your Focus Sash on a different pokemon in your team. It has to sacrifice a lot of attack power for it though.
With Rockium Z it's still able to OHKO certain pokemon like Gyarados, Alolan Marowak and Araquanid. Even though you invested some EVs in bulk you have to avoid (STAB) super-effective moves at all costs, as they will still OHKO you. But at least it's able to survive a Moonblast from a Choice Specs Tapu Lele.

Damage Calculations:

Offensive

28 Atk Aerodactyl Continental Crush vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 206-246 (120.4 - 143.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
28 Atk Aerodactyl Continental Crush vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 158-188 (117 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
28 Atk Aerodactyl Continental Crush vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 182-216 (127.2 - 151%) -- guaranteed OHKO
28 Atk Aerodactyl Continental Crush vs. 252 HP / 148 Def Ninetales-Alola: 180-212 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
28 Atk Aerodactyl Continental Crush vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Pelipper: 168-198 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 228 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl: 154-183 (83.6 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 126-149 (68.4 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 76-90 (41.3 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Muk-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl: 111-132 (60.3 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Potential Teammates include, but aren't limited to;
  • Any slow pokemon who can benefit off Tailwind

Threats include, but aren't limited to;
  • Fake Out users, use Protect to make sure to keep the Focus Sash intact
  • Choice Scarf users can be a problem, as they outspeed Aerodactyl
  • Trick Room teams -  you can imagine doubling your teams speed with Tailwind isn't great when Trick Room is up

Other Notable Moves
  • Taunt - Great if you're up against a Trick Room team

Other Notable Items
  • Aguav Berry - Restores half his HP when below 1/4 of his health.

If you have any other ideas or want me to consider a different EV spread, let me know.
I'm open to critique and willing to learn!
#LillieDefenseSquad
my hero
Thanks for the Aerodactyl thread @Vinnie! Aerodactyl is such an great mon to use given its fast base 130 speed and access to support moves such as Tailwind, Wide Guard, and Sky Drop. Heck fast Rock Slides alone can be rather game changing with the flinch potential so definitely a mon to watch out for.
Nice job @Vinnie great guide.
As of now, Unnerve Aerodactyl is illegal. I'm not sure if that's going to change with Pokebank (I assume it will) but you definitely can't use it now. Which is a shame with all the sitrus/aguav Arcanines and figy Muks running around. I think it's worth mentioning that Roar is an option for guaranteeing that trick room doesn't get set up against something like Mental Herb Oranguru/Mimikyu, side roaring to give yourself a free switch in and removing an opponents substitute/boosts. I still think Taunt is the better option on Aerodactyl if you have the moveslot but it's definitely a solid option and has been used successfully.
Thanks for your input @RebornFX I appreciate it.
Yep, that's what I stated in the guide. I just wrote it because bank is (hopefully) almost released. Roar is definitely an option. I didn't even realise it had access to it to be honest. But I would probably prefer using Taunt over Roar on Aerodactyl. I've been trying to run Taunt instead of Protect. It's risky but it can pay off.
#LillieDefenseSquad
I bet you would've loved to have unnerve against my snorlax now wouldn't you :^)
"#PopplioSquadIsLit"

Previously known as Julia234
(Jan 20, 2017, 05:21 PM)Vinnie Wrote: Thanks for your input @RebornFX I appreciate it.
Yep, that's what I stated in the guide. I just wrote it because bank is (hopefully) almost released. Roar is definitely an option. I didn't even realise it had access to it to be honest. But I would probably prefer using Taunt over Roar on Aerodactyl. I've been trying to run Taunt instead of Protect. It's risky but it can pay off.

Oh gosh that's embarassing. Really shouldn't have skim read lol. I just saw Unnerve as the first ability and assumed you hadn't mentioned it. And personally I never run Protect on Aerodactyl. If I really need Aero to survive a turn I can generally Sky Drop in to something, but on the teams I generally use it I see no reason to preserve Aero and normally appreciate the free switch in its death provides me to make use of my Tailwind turns.
Thanks for this Vinnie! Looking forward to using Aerodactyl for VGC (or at least will try lol), seeing as how I've already used it in the Battle of Alola & will in the Alola Friendly competition coming up. It's proven well so far
Feel free to post your favorite Pokémon FanArt here ϞϞ(๑⚈ ․̫ ⚈๑)∩
Do you prefer the normal one over the mega or isn't mega evolution not allowed by the new rules