Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Metagross Build - Tank/Physical Attacker
[Image: tumblr_nk6nccprq91un95hzo1_r2_1280.jpg]
Credits to: Aetaluta

Metagross is the Psudo-legend introduced in generation three. Its main role is to deal a ton of damage while soaking up hits like the boss that he his. Regular is often looked over because his Mega counterpart has more attack, more defense, and more speed. This doesn't mean that regular Metagross isn't viable, because it has it's own niche. Plus, it looks freaking awesome!

[Image: metagross_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49au.gif]
Type: Steel/Psychic
Weaknesses: Dark (x2), Ghost (x2), Fire (x2), Ground (x2)
Resistances: Normal (x.5), Flying (x.5), Psychic (x.25), Ice (x.5), Grass (x.5), Rock (x.5), Dragon (x.5), Steel (x.5), Fairy (x.5)
Immunities: Poison
Abilities: Clear Body - Clear Body prevents stat reduction caused by another Pokémon's move or Ability (but not stat increases, such as Swagger or Flatter). Stat reductions can only be caused on Pokémon with this Ability if they are self-inflicted, such as from moves like Superpower or Hammer Arm.
Clear Body does not prevent stat reduction as a side effect from paralysis or burning. Clear Body does not prevent stat losses caused by Heart Swap, Guard Swap, Power Swap, Guard Split, Power Split, Baton Pass, and Topsy-Turvy.

Light Metal (Hidden Ability) - The user's weight is halved. This decreases the damage taken from Low Kick and Grass Knot, increases the damage taken from Heavy Slam and Heat Crash, and also lowers user's base power of Heavy Slam and Heat Crash, due to these moves being calculated by the target and user's weight.

Base Stats: 80 HP/ 135 Atk/ 130 Def/ 95 SpA/ 90 SpD/ 70 Spe

[Image: metagross_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49au.gif]
Metagross @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Clear Body  
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 172 Def / 60 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Zen Headbutt  
- Earthquake  
- Ice Punch  
- Meteor Mash

Okay, let me explain. Mega Metagross is pretty much superior in every way, but it is inferior in two ways to this. Regular Metagross doesn't take up your Mega slot, which is a highly contested position, and it is immune to all forms of Intimidate. Clear Body is an amazing ability for it. Because of an interesting quirk, you can run Adamant, or Bold, and still get the same stats. However, if you run Bold, you will need 140 Atk EVs and 56 Def EVs. I will let the calculations do the talking for the EVs.

Offensive:

24+ Atk Metagross Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 180-212 (109.7 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
24+ Atk Metagross Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 132-156 (77.6 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
24+ Atk Metagross Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 172-204 (93.4 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
24+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 56-68 (33.5 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
24+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 188 HP / 68 Def Sylveon: 186-222 (95.8 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
24+ Atk Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 116-140 (52.4 - 63.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
24+ Atk Metagross Ice Punch vs. 244 HP / 108 Def Thundurus: 94-112 (50.8 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Sitrius Berry Recovery

Okay, so Metagross isn't meant to be the hardest hitting Pokemon out there. It is supposed to kill Landorus and Sylveon, as well as do damage to Amoongus. It does a very good at the first two.

Defensive

These are in doubles unless otherwise specified.
252+ Atk Landorus-T Helping Hand Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Metagross: 158-188 (84.4 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Metagross in Sun: 158-188 (84.4 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 151-179 (80.7 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 92-110 (49.1 - 58.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 82-98 (43.8 - 52.4%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 66-79 (35.2 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 164-195 (87.7 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Metagross: 164-195 (87.7 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

The most notable and really only useful calulation was the Landorus-T with a Helping Hand boost. I have come across a few situations were those defensive EVs made me survive an such a crazy thing.

Overall, Metagross isn't going to be useful in every single game because of it's lack of damage, however it is useful in more niche situations, and makes for a solid Sylveon/Gardevoir killer.

Other Options:
- Hammer Arm
It could work as a replacement for Earthquake, and it hits Kangaskhan harder than anything else you have. I have been going back and forth on this one, but I feel like the ability to hit unsuspecting Heatrans is better than hitting Kang harder.

- Rock Slide
Metagross is built to survive a Heat Wave from Charizard, but it can't do much damage back, so what is the point? Well, a lack of coverage for Heatran. I just got this idea while I am writing this, and I am starting to like it more and more. The choice is your of course, but I would replace Earthquake with it.

- Bullet Punch
I love Bullet Punch on Metagross, and it would be another good Earthquake substitute. Priority can be very useful on such a slow Pokemon, but it would require giving up a valuable moveslot, and I feel like it's coverage wouldn't be worth it;

- Explosion
We all know what explosion does. It could work out in some situations, but most of the time Metagross will be moving last, and so you would need to make a prediction to sacrifice or not to sacrifice.

Good Teammates:
- Hydreigon
Not only does it have Dark coverage, but it doesn't have to fear Fairies as much with Metagross on the field. It also resists fire type attacks, and can do a number on Charizard and Heatran.

- Blaziken
Blaziken also takes care of the Aegislash threat, and it is covered by Metagross's steel and ice coverage. It can also do lots of damage to dark type Pokemon like Scrafty and Bisharp that can give Metagross trouble. Some Blazikens also carry Rock Slide to take care of Charizard.

And, that is about all I can come up with for now as far as potential teammates go. This Metagross is supposed to kill Landorus and Sylveon at the same time, and then just sit there doing a bit of damage here and there.

Things Metagross doesn't like:
- Scrafty
It resists both of Metagross's STABs, but it doesn't like taking a Hammer Arm.

- Bisharp
Life Orb Bisharp does a lot of damage with Knock Off, with a 33% chance to OHKO. It doesn't like taking a Hammer Arm either, though.

- Landorus
Why am I using a Pokemon that doesn't like Landorus, TO COUNTER LANDORUS! Well, Metagross is bait, basically. Landorus expects to OHKO it, or at least not get OHKOd by it, and so when the former doesn't happen, the latter has a very good chance. Despite this, Landorus still does a lot of damage to Metagross, no matter how you look at it.

- Aegislash
While Earthquake does do a bit of damage to Aegislash, it isn't a lot of damage, and Metagross takes so a lot of damage in return. Thankfully, Aeigslash is slower that Metagross, but it still doesn't mean our cross looking friend should feel safe.

Note: This Metagross is by no means perfect. It is just the Metagross I have been using for quite some time now. I would love some feedback here on what might be better.
Nice build submission Delta! looking forward to see more from you, btw i ave heard of hone claws, meteor mash, zen headbutt sets, what are your thoughts on those?
(Oct 4, 2015, 12:49 AM)Pokeventurer Wrote: Nice build submission Delta! looking forward to see more from you, btw i ave heard of hone claws, meteor mash, zen headbutt sets, what are your thoughts on those?

Hone Claws is an interesting idea. I personally like Power-Up-Punch better, because you can actually hit Heatran, and sometimes kill weakened foes. I feel like PoP is best on Mega Metagross with Bullet Punch. You basically become a harder hitting Scizor with Bullet Punch, and a ridiculously hard hitting Mega Metagross at +1/