Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SMOGON] The Best Sweeper in NU!
Hello there readers! Hope all is well. So, I've been playing NU for about 2 weeks now and I'm having a blast. If anybody is burned out or simply bored with Pokemon, I would suggest hoping onto showdown and jump into the NU tier and just have fun with all the Pokemon that you aren't used to seeing. One of those Pokemon is what this write up is focused on and trust me, the title of this article and the Pokemon I'm going to talk about wont make sense at 1st, but it is fact. If you dont believe me, hop onto NU so you can experience the power of... Comfey?!?

[Image: comfey.gif]
Type: Fairy
Base Stats: 51 HP / 52 Atk / 90 Def / 82 SpA / 110 SpD / 100 Spe
Weaknesses: Poison, Steel
Resistances: Fighting, Bug, Dark
Immunities: Dragon
Abilities: Flower Veil, Triage, Natural Cure

Thats Right! Comfey is the best Sweeper in the NU meta at this time and the reason for that is the ability it has access to that I highlighted above, Triage. Triage, for those who don't know, is an ability exclusive to Comfey that gives health stealing moves +3 Priority!!! So without further ado, lets build a Comfey set!

Comfey @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Giga Drain

So this is the start to every Comfey that you will use and you will face in NU. First off, like I mentioned above, Triage is the key to Comfey being such a great Pokemon. +3 Priority on Draining Kiss and Giga Drain make Comfey a very viable sweeper mid-late game. Calm Mind is to boost Comfey's Sp. Attack stat to make sweeping even easier. Modest nature + Life Orb lets Comfey hit as hard as possible. Plus with the health you get back from Draining Kiss and Giga Drain, the recoil from Life Orb isn't an issue.

Now, there are 2 things you will notice on this set that don't look right:
1) I left most of the EVs blank.
2) I left the 4th move blank.

There is a reason I did this. First off, EVs are interchangeable and can be run however anybody wants, but because Comfey has +3 priority on its 2 main moves, you don't need to run much Speed investment. On the flip side, Max SpA is mandatory so I put that in. As far as the 4th move goes, it depends on what coverage you want. The 3 most viable choices IMO are Hidden Power Ground/Fire/Psychic. Any of those 3 should be the 4th move depending on what coverage you need. So let me explain why.

So the 3 types that wall Comfey are Fire, Steel, and Poison. Below I will list every common Pokemon in NU Comfey should be afraid of as far as typing goes.

Garbodor
Vileplume
Golbat
Weezing
Delphox
Incineroar
Magmortar
Steelix
Silvally-Steel
Ferroseed
Klinklang
Togedemaru
Hidden Power Ground, Fire, and Psychic all hit these Pokemon for Super Effective damage, you should pick the one that hits the pokemon your team struggles with the most. For example, the team I built around Comfey struggles with Delphox, so I run Hidden Power Ground on my Comfey. So let me show you my full Comfey set that I am currently using.

Comfey @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

So as I mentioned before, you don't need to run much Speed investment on Comfey because of the +3 Priority you have. The 20 Speed EVs allow Comfey to outspeed Max Speed base 60 Pokemon, mainly Offensive Incineroar. The remaining 236 EVs went into HP to make Comfey as bulky as possible. Hidden Power Ground gives me coverage against types that resist both Fairy and Grass as I talked about above.

Good Team Options

Since Comfey is a sweeper, you need to pair it with Pokemon that can break through the types that wall it. Fire, Steel, and Poison. Ground is the 1 type that can hit all 3 of those types for Super Effective damage. Slowking is a good partner because its STAB attacks hit Fire and Poison Super Effectively and it also has access to Fire Blast to hit Steel types. Comfey also appreciates hazard support, both removing and setting them. Rhydon works well IMO because Comfey can actually set up and threaten a lot of the Water and Grass types that threaten Rhydon.

Comfey In Action

Below I will put a link to a Showdown replay of Comfey sweeping late game. I will also note that Im going to be doing a full write up for this team that I'm using in this battle in the "Competitive Pokemon Discussion Forum". I would suggest reading it because I use some unique sets on this team. Spoiler, my Gastrodon is Z-move! On a 2nd Side note, I also realized after this battle that the Comfey set I was using had the wrong EVs lol. The Comfey in this battle is Max SpA and Speed with Timid nature, so the damage percentages would be different with the set I wrote about.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this and the battle at the end! Comfey is a serious threat in NU and it is seriously fun to use. Honestly, if any of you read this and want to play in the NU tier, I HIGHLY recommend that you have an answer for Comfey on your team. If you don't and you go up against one, you are gonna have a bad time.