Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC or SMOGON] Mega Blastoise/Talonflame Lead - Set Up + Attack (Special Sweeper)
[Image: 2i6qs5.jpg][Image: 33bjqep.jpg]

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish / Mega Launcher
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Protect

Talonflame @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Special Attack / 4 Speed
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird/Acrobatics
- Overheat/Heat Wave (OR/AS only)
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

Offensive Calcs
VS Aegislash, currently most used Pokemon on Battle Spot according to the Global Link.
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 176-208 (54.3 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Aegislash-Shield in Rain: 246-289 (75.9 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield in Rain: 291-343 (111 - 130.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Talonflame Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 60-72 (44.1 - 52.9%) -- 12.9% chance to 2HKO

VS Salamence, currently second most used Pokemon on Battle Spot according to the Global Link.
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence in Rain: 97-115 (57 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (calcs for Mega Salamence not available)

Defensive Calcs
VS Aegislash, currently most used Pokemon on Battle Spot according to the Global Link.
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 75-88 (48.3 - 56.7%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Talonflame: 126-148 (82.3 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

VS Salamence, currently second most used Pokemon on Battle Spot according to the Global Link.
252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 88-105 (56.7 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Summary
The strategy is very simple.  Turn one mega evolve with Blastoise, and protect.  Set up a tailwind with Talonflame.  After turn one Talonflame will most likely be brought to its focus sash, but it will get the tailwind off.  This will allow Mega Blastoise to move faster than your opponent.  Turn two you will need to make a decision.  Ideally you will want to switch out Talonflame to Politoed to set up the rain, and use water spout with Mega Blastoise to land major damage and/or ko's.  There may be scenarios where this wouldn't be the ideal strategy.  If you predict a priority move coming, keep Talonflame in and use quick guard.  This will allow Mega Blastoise to still get off a 100% health water spout, but it won't be as deadly without the rain.  If your opponent resists water spout, you can rely on Mega Blastoise's other coverage moves aura sphere and dark pulse.  You can also decide to use overheat/heat wave or finish off your Talonflame with brave bird if the situation calls for it.  Acrobatics could also replace brave bird.  This is only in the situation where you don't want to sacrifice Talonflame when it goes to 1hp.  After losing it's focus sash, acrobatics jumps to 110 base power.  While still weaker than brave birds 120 base power, this could come in handy if Talonflame is tasked to pick off weakened foes without ko'ing itself due to brave birds recoil.

See it in action
Showdown: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle...-183631684
Showdown:  http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-183632756
Battle Spot: UPJG-WWWW-WWWA-KVKR
Battle Spot: 2P8W-WWWW-WWWJ-WR96 (OR/AS only)

View My Video (flash support required)
This look great and I love your summary! Thanks for the details!
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
Added a battle video and the battle code for the video.
(Dec 14, 2014, 09:23 AM)leftwingzero Wrote: Added a battle video and the battle code for the video.

It looks like the video is blocked or something.

add some situational calculations and I'll move it to competitive builds!
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
(Dec 14, 2014, 02:10 PM)Justin Wrote:
(Dec 14, 2014, 09:23 AM)leftwingzero Wrote: Added a battle video and the battle code for the video.

Added external link to view video, and added damage calcs. Thank you for considering my duo for the competitive builds forum. Enjoy the video!
(Dec 14, 2014, 02:10 PM)Justin Wrote:

How does this look now Justin? Ready to be moved over? If not let me know if anything needs to be tweaked.